Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Status
Not open for further replies.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Oh yea, I own a Lone Star and it's a dandy. At least it will be this summer when I repaint it. :D

Attachments

• 110811_143936.jpg
    110811_143936.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

All new stainless hardware purchased (head bolts, socket bolts for the exhaust cover). I'm leaving for Thailand for a month on Thursday, so no updates for a while!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Have a good safe trip. :D

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

You doing a great job! I hate to be a joykill, but the copper grease you used earlier concerns me in terms of electrolysis...stainless bolts, with copper grease in aluminum..... They might be a real bear to get out in the future.

Mas

Arctic 33

Seaman Apprentice

Great looking job!!!!

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You doing a great job! I hate to be a joykill, but the copper grease you used earlier concerns me in terms of electrolysis...stainless bolts, with copper grease in aluminum..... They might be a real bear to get out in the future. - Mas

Hi Mas,

Didn't the engine originally come with steel bolts?

It's often referred to as 'copper grease'... it's actually copper, aluminium and graphite. Permatex recommends it specifically for marine applications.

I wasn't too worried, since (a) it's under the hood in a relatively sheltered area, and (b) it's a small cathode / large anode (screw vs. block respectively), which is much less problematic than the opposite (for ex., an anuminium washer on a steel engine block). I found this page very helpful in getting my head around it; http://www.ssina.com/corrosion/galvanic.html

That said, is it considered a good idea to add a sacrificial anode (i.e. a zinc) to these motors? Would that solve the potential problem? I should note, this boat will be used exclusively in fresh waters, which once again reduces the risk of galvanic corrosion.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Steel and aluminum are relatively close on the galvanic scale...stainless is much further apart, as is copper from aluminum. It just seems that any hint of copper doesn't seem good. But also, I do not know how the "graphite" plays in to the mix.

Mas

AlTn

Commander

for whatever it's worth, I bought some antiseize < I think Lindy recommended it, but don't want to burden him with the criticism if he didn't> anyway, it's made by Loctite for Marine use and contains no metals...seems like a 1 pound container was ~$20 from Graingers I was using the old "peanut butter" gasket sealing compound and it's ~$7.50 for 4 oz. from the local dealer..either would probably last me a lifetime at the rate I consume it. I will say the Loctite would be better appearancewise if used on other boat fittings as well as just the motor itself.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the lower unit and power head boltss, I use what OMC calls for, the OMC gasket sealer, but recently I did not have any handy and have used good old GE brand clear silicon sealant.

For cases, OMC Gel Seal (red) or Threebond 1104 (Yamabond 4, Toyotabond..) metal to metal surfaces.
No sealant on new gaskets.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK... well, in areas where the two parts are likely to be in solution, I'll avoid SS and/or use an appropriate treatment; something like http://www.neverseezproducts.com/marine.htm. For inside the motor case, which *should* remain dry, I think I'll risk it! ;)

JM - I'm not using *any* gasket sealer. The gaskets supplied in the OE kit are not the 'old' gasket material of yesteryear (like felt / cardboard), they are all newer plasticized gaskets, which (as I understand it) should always be used 'dry'. The only sealant I'm using is Permatex Ultra Grey (rated for two-stroke crankcases), to seal the two halves of the crankcase; it goes onto the bare metal, both sides.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What did you use silicon for?

Any metal to metal contact, by far best product is the 3M847. It replaces the Sealer1000 that you see in the old manuals.

I use it for crankcase halves, lower unit re seal, impeller plates, etc etc etc

Great product and no worries.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris,

3M-847 (according to 3M) is a nitrile rubber and gasket adhesive; designed to bond leather, rubber and gaskets to substrate materials. Is there a reason it would be superior to a dedicated gasketing compound, designed to be used metal-on-metal? (I'm not saying you're wrong! I'm just surprised...)

-Duncan

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

3M 847 is used in conjunction with spaghetti seals on crank halves and gear cases as well as other applications.

Mas

Man i just found this thread and was really getting into it and then i got to the part where you said you have to go to thailand.... Have a safe trip and cant wait to read more updates when you get back .

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stay tuned, Destroyer; I'll be back at it before you know it! ;)

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys
New to the forum first post. Op your project looks great. I'm new to the world of boats and what not. Just got my first boat last yr. 14 ft gamefisher with fishing decks. Added 69' 25hp evinrude sportster along with countless hrs of other fixups. Right now I'm making plywood glassed custom livewell. Love to fish,and be on the water, But almost as much as i like being on the boat I like working on it. Which has been leading me to want to get my hands on some of these older motors 60's and up and try and rebuild them. For the fun of it and try and make a little $. Which leads me to my ?. There's a guy down here with a 18HP Johnson seahorse looks to be 70's model. the add says doesn't run do to not having carb and water tube. IN the add is a picture showing 119 psi in both chambers and it says has good recoil. The guy wants next to nothing for the motor do you guys thing a person who has never takin apart a boat motor, but who loves to take stuff apart and recondition then put back togather,and has a pretty good history of fixing there car when it breaks could take this thing apart and rebuild it, and do you think having to find a carb and water tube(whatever that is) plus the normal rebuild parts would take away any profit to be made from this motor.

P.s I have really just the basic tools,but would like to add anything i would need to do this kinda of thing all the time. Zepher It seems you've rebuilt your share of motors if I was able to gain the knowledge,and tools to rebuild these motors could a person make any $ doing this hobby.

Thanks for any respounces. OP good luck with your rebuild I look forward to seeing your progress.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I would be happy to chip my 2 cents into your cause, but I might advise you, to start a new thread. The mods frown upon hijicking threads and they probably would hang you upside down and flog you with a soggy carrot. Welcome to iboats. :D

Post a new thread and a lot of good minds here are ready and willing to help with your questions.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

SRY didn't relieze I was that far off to be Hijacking. Little diffrent then the forum I'm used to. Please no flogging:D, And thanks for the heads up. Sry OP.

Hammer66

Cadet

6518.JPG6518 (2).JPG

Here are some pics of my 65 18hp. Picked it up last May. I was told motor was tuned (new coils and water pump). I ran it in a barrel for 30 minutes before commiting it to the lake. It runs like a champ! Starts right up. and pushes my 12.5 foot inflatable to about 24mph with three people according to my GPS. I pulled the plugs after my first outing and they looked great. I don't mean to gloat but this is one fine motor.

Regards,
Chris

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, the 18's are among the top three best motors ever built by OMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.