Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeviaanah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Well, I'm back to Canada on Sunday... A day or two to get over the jetlag, and I'll be back at it soon!!

-Duncan

Hey I just got through reading your thread. Great work man. I am new to the rebuilding hobby but am learning quickly. I am working on my first project, a 1962 Seaking 15hp 2 stroke. Ill be checking back on ya!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Cool. That should be a lot like the 18 Evinrudes, mechanically. A lot of parts will interchange.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There we go! I'm officially back, jetlagged after the 26-hour Bangkok - Tokyo - Chicago - Ottawa trip. One major paper to hand in ASAP, classes and work start again tomorrow... so next weekend is the back-to-motor-work ETA. :)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hey, that's pretty close to my solo 26 hour drive from Florida to Ottawa I did two weeks ago... Towing a pontoon boat :)

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HMM! Local guy with a tow vehicle... Duly noted, Steve!! ;)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

And it just got upgrades today. Bought an 8 cyl Jeep to replace my 6 cyl Jeep. Can pull up to 6500 #'s now!

kfa4303

Banned

Whoa. What type of work sends you all over creation like that?

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, I'm in my last year of law school... We have a month in January where we can either do a single intensive class, or write a paper. I chose to do a paper on immigration issues, more specifically, Canada's new (proposed) law on "boat people", or irregular migration / human smuggling. A friend of mine is living at the Thai / Burma border, working with refugee organizations there, so I went and visited for a month while I wrote my paper. (Well, I went and visited... and now I'm playing catch-up trying to finish the paper I was supposed to be writing!!)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That's kinda cool. You at Ottawa U?

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

There we go! I'm officially back, jetlagged after the 26-hour Bangkok - Tokyo - Chicago - Ottawa trip. One major paper to hand in ASAP, classes and work start again tomorrow... so next weekend is the back-to-motor-work ETA. :)

Actually, I'm in my last year of law school... We have a month in January where we can either do a single intensive class, or write a paper. I chose to do a paper on immigration issues, more specifically, Canada's new (proposed) law on "boat people", or irregular migration / human smuggling. A friend of mine is living at the Thai / Burma border, working with refugee organizations there, so I went and visited for a month while I wrote my paper. (Well, I went and visited... and now I'm playing catch-up trying to finish the paper I was supposed to be writing!!)

That's kinda cool. You at Ottawa U?

Yeah it is pretty cool....But I don't think It's a fair fight now on the race. All I got is a regular work day. :) I hope to put in an hour or 2 everyday. And go hard on the weekends.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, first actual work in a while... I'd like to get the powerhead back on the leg. But the front of the lower case mounts onto the arm that (optionally) holds the steering controls; and mine was broken clean in half when I got it off. So that was first up; JB Weld.

DSC00735.jpg

Then, one of the rubber mounts had fallen apart; thankfully the bolt was still there. So I cut a 3/4" piece of fuel line with about the same OD as the mount, and glued that on to the top of the bolt. No pictures... hopefully that will hold, should be fine.

Then, just for something to do, I stripped all the hardware off the upper case, gave it a wash, and took a couple of stickers off with a propane torch. Then I broke out the paint stripper; two or three applications everywhere got me down to this stage.

DSC00736.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00737.jpg

Question; do I need to go further and remove every last trace of paint, down to the fiberglass? Or, if what remains is adhering well, can I prime and paint over it?

My intent was, primer first, then filler (spot putty), more primer & sanding, then final coat. Yes? No? I'm no paint expert; suggestions welcome.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It looks to me that you're doin a fine job. How about those NY Giants huh?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

JB weld is great stuff but I'd be surprised if it held in a stressful place like that. I hope it does though.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB weld is great stuff but I'd be surprised if it held in a stressful place like that. I hope it does though.

That's the thing; I have no intention of using this motor with controls, so that arm really doesn't do anything except hold the cover in place. But I agree; I don't think it would hold up long if I was using controls...

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Samo, you were right... the arm shattered, the first time I mounted it. :facepalm: Will have to source a used one.

So, it warmed up to right around freezing tonight. I thought I might get the primer on... then my propane heater ran out of fuel. Oh well... time to fire up the heat gun! Nothing like half-assing it! ;)

So, I shot a coat of primer to start... sanded most of it off, which identified a few spots that needed puttying. Threw on some spot putty, a bunch more sanding, then two more coats of primer. Here it is after the first (it looks mottled because it is halfway through flashing off);

DSC00740.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

And a close-up of the top, after the third (and final) coat of primer.

DSC00742.jpg

Pretty happy with that; I'll give it a gentle going-over with 400-grit, before shooting the colour (hopefully on Thursday).

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yeah, it was warm today wasn't it! Looking good.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

BTW, where'd you get that engine for $90? Locally? Kijiji? I musta missed the ad!

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geez Steve, ya gotta leave one or two for the rest of us!! ;)

Hammer66

Cadet

Your 18 is looking good! Keep the photos coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.