Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Did you say you had 70?!? Geez, even at $150 a pop, that's still ten grand's worth of outboards... Have you thought of collecting something a little smaller and cheaper? Bottlecaps maybe? ;)

Another coat of primer highlighted a few sanding marks that hadn't been taken care of. Spot putty is drying now... Sanding and one more coat of primer after that, and then the colour goes on. Pics, ETA one hour! :)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

There is another Canadian member up here that literally has thousands! He bought and old school I think to store them in the gymnasium, and has rows of buses with the motors 2 per seat. It is impressive to see indeed. But that is many years of collecting.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Did you say you had 70?!? Geez, even at $150 a pop, that's still ten grand's worth of outboards... Have you thought of collecting something a little smaller and cheaper? Bottlecaps maybe? ;)

Nah, some are in pieces, some I paid like $10 or $20 for... Some are worth more... I sell the ones that are worth the most to support my hobby :)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

There is another Canadian member up here that literally has thousands! He bought and old school I think to store them in the gymnasium, and has rows of buses with the motors 2 per seat. It is impressive to see indeed. But that is many years of collecting.

Ok, buying an entire school just to store them in a gym is plain friggin' crazy! Somebody has WAY too much $$$!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ok, buying an entire school just to store them in a gym is plain friggin' crazy! Somebody has WAY too much $$$!

But a whole village of sheds and camping trailer to store the motors is sane?! LOL :)

Just teasing of course, Im just jealous my wife doesnt let me have more sheds.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Here is a small portion of his motors, just to get an idea!

BUS.jpgGYM 2.jpgGYM.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Shed are friggin' cheap compared to a huge building and land!!!

I'm lucky as I owned the cottage next door with 2.3 acres BEFORE we bought the 3.7 adjacent acres together and built our house on it so I can put anything I want on the 2.3 acres :) I almost bought a complete older working fire engine a couple of years ago! :)

nwcove

Admiral

how many horsepower is that bus??? lol

AlTn

Commander

Zeph won't sleep for a week

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a serious amount of outboards. You guys up north got it made:D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That doesn't look like a school, it looks like a warehouse!

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Zeph won't sleep for a week

Hahahahahaha....

OK, spot putty done, final primer coat done... 30 mins drying time, then paint

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ta-daaaaa! Here it is, after two light coats of colour...

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

I've never had much luck with painting (old bikes, etc.) so I took a lot more care this time; degreasing, more prep, more primer, putty & sanding... We'll see how it looks once it's dried, but I think it may be OK! I'll be happy if I've finally managed to paint something decent.

I found a can of clear-coat from a previous project, so I'll probably give it a shot just to keep it shiny. The colour is a Duplicolour paint (Ford, I think); off-white, pretty close to the original I think, from comparing it to the handle. I'm giving serious consideration to doing the whole motor this colour, to match the main motor ('92 'Rude 120 V4). But I'll get the whole thing up and running before thinking about painting the leg; I don't want to hit the first day of walleye season with a nicely-painted, non-functioning motor!! Function first.

*edit: brought it inside for the night; I'll clear-coat it tomorrow, after I've picked one or two pieces of dust off. I don't want to ruin it now, by rushing it!

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look's sweet TSC.. Be nice if someone had some evinrude decals they might donate. :)

AlTn

Commander

good point, cc....if you're planning on putting decals on , hold off on the clear coat until they're on

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look's sweet TSC.. Be nice if someone had some evinrude decals they might donate. :)

Thanks man! Yeah, planning on ordering decals and a new case seal from NY Marine today. Gah, add another $100 to the total...

good point, cc....if you're planning on putting decals on , hold off on the clear coat until they're on

Really?!? I was just going to put them over the clearcoat... No?

-Duncan

AlTn

Commander

they'd stick, but the clearcoat will offer them some protection from scratching, snagging, fuel mix, etc...ask nymarine to assure his decal adhesive won't react to the clearcoat

64osby

Admiral

I have seen two types of decals. Vinyl (thicker) and thin sheet ones. I don't think you clear coat over the vinyl ones, but you should over the thin sheet ones.

Just stuff I've read, but I know there are others here that have used both styles. Maybe they will chime in.

Looking good tsc. ;)

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

How's it going TSC. Ya get anything done this weekend. I'm looking at two weeks. Reassembly next weekend, and fuel conversion sometime the week after.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heh, I knew I was going to lose that race! Got the clear coat done... that's about it though. :( Oh, and I stripped off the old coils, put on the new ones; haven't done the points yet. Have to find a replacement for that broken support arm, before I can reassemble the power head.

I think my next step will be the carb rebuild... as long as I can be ready for walleye (US: pickerel) season at the beginning of May!!

Status
Not open for further replies.