Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Hey It's all good. The deck was stacked against you. I found a carb that's already been rebuilt,and I didn't have to take apart the powerhead. Oh yeah I'm not studying for the bar exam neither! If I had a that much going on I'd be lucky to have it ready before Christmas:D. Have a good one man, good luck with all of it.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,

Just a heads-up... I sold the Cobia, but kept the 18HP. Of course, haven't touched it since I last posted... Will be building a stand this week, and finishing off the restoration in the next couple of weeks, I hope!

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Mid-century modern meets engine stand for mid-century engine! :) All done... should get to some wrenching by the weekend, all going well.

Attachments

• photo212973.jpg
    photo212973.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo212974.jpg
    photo212974.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After a two year hiatus... finally sourced a new control arm (that was broken, see prev post). Lower case remounted, with gasket below it. Test-fitted powerhead; discovered that the nylon bushing (press-fitted into the bottom of the vertical throttle control arm) has sheared off both its tabs. (See item 121172555731 on eBay - that thing.)

Can't seem to source it new; may have to carve a new one out of an appropriate-sized plastic rod. I'm hesitant to buy used; if they break so easily, used ones are likely to break upon use, no?

Anyhoo; updates and pictures to follow shortly!

AlTn

Commander
try part # 0329197...pin...should be plentiful from the dealer ~ $7 U.S.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
try part # 0329197...pin...should be plentiful from the dealer ~ $7 U.S.

Thanks... Al, is it? That's what I'm looking for; $5 from my local Johnson / Rude dealer! One in stock; heading over to grab it now.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, we all missed something big... :eek:

Got the power head back on, tried rotating it through a full revolution... only to have it stop, hard.

Have a look back at the pictures on p. 4. At some point during reassembly, the pistons got turned around. :faint2:

So now... disassembling to correct. :mad: Progress to resume shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.