Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Status
Not open for further replies.

levi_tsk

Ensign
Re: Complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Re: Complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

I've just had a flash!! Since there's only one bolt left, shouldn't I just be able to turn the whole cover? Or do the innards protrude into the cavity formed by the cover? Must go home and try...
MAYBE.... i wouldnt try it though you risk breaking the bolt off in the block and then youll have a mess....

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Whap it and heat usually work. Keep going. Those are fine old engines :)

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Steve, you're in Ottawa? Same here!!

Just ordered everything from MasterTech Marine. Good experience so far, they answer their emails promptly, and don't mind adjusting their kit contents. I ordered a full tune-up kit, full OE powerhead gasket set (including head gasket), and rings. It's all coming to my mailbox at the US / Ontario border, where my new-to-me Lowrance combo GPS / fishfinder unit is already waiting. So hopefully by the time exams are over, I'll have lots of fun toys to play with over the holidays!

Parts cost is about $250, so I'll have about $350 in the motor all told. Another $50 of paint at the end, I'm sure... Hopefully no other big expenses! :redface: Having fun so far...

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Hey neighbour! I order my stuff from www.marinemanifold.com. They're in BC. Similar prices but no border/duty issues.

I was just out on the Gatineau River today in my '70 25hp. Same 22 cubic inch block as your 18. I love the 18's. I have a lot of them. Great engines. Easy to work on and great power/weight ratio.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh! If anyone has an electric starter, I wouldn't mind adding one! (I need a bracket, starter and switch, correct?)

kfa4303

Banned

yeah. Although the starters and switches are fairly easy to come by, the tricky part will be tracking down a starter bracket. Check the sticky at the top of the forum for the list of salvage yards folks here like to use. You can also check out aomci.org, which is an owners club/part swap site for vintage OMC outboards.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, like the old country song says... 12 out of 13 aren't bad. :p The last bolt wouldn't let go... Tried the old mechanic's trick of welding a nut onto the stem (gives you something to grip to, and the heat often helps to loosen things up) but it still sheared. Will have to drill it out and tap / helicoil it. Bah.

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

School exams before that, and I'll have to wait for the parts to arrive... Oh, and Christmas shopping, of course. So might not be too many updates in the next 10 days or so...

outlawfox13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow, looks like a heck of alot of work! But the payoff will be sweet, I own a 1968 Fastwin 18hp and it sure is a sweet motor, I was able to get my boat to plane out with me in it and gps'ed it at 23mph, with the wife we got 17 with a lil chop. Good luck man!

kfa4303

Banned

agreed I have a '66 20 hp (same basic motor) and it's a screamer. It will get my little 14', v-hull, tinny on plane with me sitting in the rear at the tiller in about 10-15 seconds. I haven't checked in on a GPS yet, but I'd say it also goes somewhere between 20-25 mph too. It would plane out a little more quickly if I sit closer towards the center/front, but that will have to wait for when I install a helm. Here's a great link to help with the rebuild. You should be able to get most parts right here at iboats too.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Wow, that thing looks like it'll clean up nice. I believe that's about all it'll need. New rings and bearings, and you'll have an awesome motor.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Doesnt look like it had any recent decarbs judging by the exhaust ports, lol

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, that thing looks like it'll clean up nice. I believe that's about all it'll need. New rings and bearings, and you'll have an awesome motor.

Actually... the rod and big end bearings looked so nice, I wasn't planning on replacing them! Is that a no-no?

raczekp1

Lieutenant

dont heat this btoken bolts with torch.
you will boil aluminium.
try yo spray penetrant oli, break fluid.tap ant good vise grip.
or drill it out and make a bigger bolt size

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's the difference between the 18, 20 and 23 HP versions? Carb? Bore? Stroke *and* bore?

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bueller? Anyone? If it's just the carb... ;)

Oh, and... anyone in the Massapequa, NY area that's willing to pick up a motor for me, and toss it on a Greyhound? I have a line on a parts motor, but the vendor is unwilling to ship!

kfa4303

Banned

As far as I know the 18 and 20 are actually the same, 22 cu in. motor. The 2 hp difference has to do with the way in which the hp was measured (power head vs. prop, I believe); a bit of a technicality. Never hear of a 23 hp, but I think the 25 hp did have a different power head and gear case.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Actually... the rod and big end bearings looked so nice, I wasn't planning on replacing them! Is that a no-no?

If the bearings looked good and spec out, what the heck, I would re-use them. Like I said, that motor will be in awesome shape, after just a good clean up. I would clean up the pistons really good and get a new set of rings. Give the cylinders a good honing and you should be good to go. Since you have the motor apart, may as well strip it down and give it a new paint job.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

As far as I know the 18 and 20 are actually the same, 22 cu in. motor. The 2 hp difference has to do with the way in which the hp was measured (power head vs. prop, I believe); a bit of a technicality. Never hear of a 23 hp, but I think the 25 hp did have a different power head and gear case.

The 18's and 20's are basically the same. The 20 may have a slightly larger carb to give it the extra 2 horses. The 25 now has different pistons, head and a tuned exhaust system, as well as a larger carb. All three are the 22 cube block though, but the 25 is basically a souped up version, so to speak. The rating is also set at a thousand rpm's higher than the other two motors.

freddyray21

Commander

working on a 5 hp Seaking

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Picking up the carb kit, complete powerhead kit and rings tomorrow... More developments soon! (Oh shoot... still have to drill out and helicoil that one bolt. May get to that tonight.)

Status
Not open for further replies.