Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase price

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Hey CC; welcome to the boards! No worries... easy to get excited about old boat motors, right? :D

As to making a few bucks and playing around with these... I'd say it all depends on what parts you end up needing, and which motor you start with. I'll be into this thing for about $350 in parts, over and above the original purchase price; but for that, I'll have an almost-new engine. Would I make money at the end of the day if I sold it? I'm guessing I'd about break even... Foolishly, it seems that price for used engines is based almost solely on year; late model = $$$, and older models (with a few exceptions) just don't pull much money. There's a fellow down the road from me that has had a MINT 28HP big twin with electric start on kijiji for a while now; no takers. Personally, I'd say the money is in buying junky boat / motor / trailer combos at $400 - $750 (no shortage there), stripping off the hardware and selling it on eBay, scrapping the hull (fiberglass) or getting a couple of bucks for it (aluminum), selling the trailer (at this point you should just about have broken even), and *then* fixing up and selling the motor. I've been thinking, if you a) have the room, and b) can do basic trailer repairs (bearings, light kits) and basic motor work (points, coils, carb rebuilds) you could probably clear a few bucks fairly easily...

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Start-to-finish, complete rebuild of a 1965 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP, $90 purchase p

Hammer, that's a sweet-looking motor; hope mine looks that nice when I'm done!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hi Guys
New to the forum first post. Op your project looks great. I'm new to the world of boats and what not. Just got my first boat last yr. 14 ft gamefisher with fishing decks. Added 69' 25hp evinrude sportster along with countless hrs of other fixups. Right now I'm making plywood glassed custom livewell. Love to fish,and be on the water, But almost as much as i like being on the boat I like working on it. Which has been leading me to want to get my hands on some of these older motors 60's and up and try and rebuild them. For the fun of it and try and make a little $. Which leads me to my ?. There's a guy down here with a 18HP Johnson seahorse looks to be 70's model. the add says doesn't run do to not having carb and water tube. IN the add is a picture showing 119 psi in both chambers and it says has good recoil. The guy wants next to nothing for the motor do you guys thing a person who has never takin apart a boat motor, but who loves to take stuff apart and recondition then put back togather,and has a pretty good history of fixing there car when it breaks could take this thing apart and rebuild it, and do you think having to find a carb and water tube(whatever that is) plus the normal rebuild parts would take away any profit to be made from this motor.

P.s I have really just the basic tools,but would like to add anything i would need to do this kinda of thing all the time. Zepher It seems you've rebuilt your share of motors if I was able to gain the knowledge,and tools to rebuild these motors could a person make any $ doing this hobby.

Thanks for any respounces. OP good luck with your rebuild I look forward to seeing your progress.

Yes. You can do it! They're easy to work on and parts are not that hard to find. star a new thread and post your questions... Or you will get flogged with a floppy impeller!

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Guy... Sounds like a good plan as I have seen several in the same listings that look like if only the motor was running good it would be worth more than their asking for the boat motor,and trailer. Thanks again.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...Trailer-and-motor-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ327604478

Something like that; you could resell the trailer for almost full asking price! Maybe another hundred or more from the controls, hardware and seats. Then you've got yourself a free motor; assuming it just needs a full service, re-sealing and a paint job; your out-of-pocket is maybe $175 (and a bunch of time), resale might be $750ish?

where do you guys find these deals!?!?! when i go on craigslist all i find is people trying to sell their 20 year old stuff at near new prices . i wanted to buy a 15 hp evinrude to replace the one that was stolen off my boat 2 years ago and for one that hasnt ran in 5 years its a easy 450 to 500 dollars around here. im getting hosed!!!

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here, Destroyer...

25 hp Johnson boat motor - $175 (Clinton)
Date: 2011-12-01, 9:40PM CST
Reply to: sale-2rubs-2731445500@craigslist.org
MUST SELL: 25 hp pull start Johnson boat motor with gas tank and fuel line. Not sure of the year, possibly late 70's early 80's. Had motor running a few months ago but may need the carburetor cleaned. Reason for selling is I'm upgrading to a larger motor for my boat. If interested please text 563-241-2176. Will send picture upon request. Asking $175 OBO.

FYI, I use SearchTempest to search multiple Craigslist areas at once; *great* tool.

But you're right... holy smokes, stuff in your area is expensive! Motors that would be $350-400 here (in Ontario) seem to be $600+ down there... Just saw a listing for an older Johnson 18HP for $1000!! In nice used shape... Crazy.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Gee, you guys should come to Oregon. Last weekend, I just bought a 15' Sabercraft with a 1964 40hp Johnson, for $100. The tires on the trailer are shot and a stabilizer bar is bent, but the boat looks pretty darned good, and a tune up will make this motor run. I see good deals around here a lot. Just this morning, I saw a 16' aluminum jon boat for $100 and I saw a 15' boat on trailor for $150. Oregon is riddled with boat deals.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

try my formula , use nitric acid to get the rings off the piston , if they are ceased in the piston grooves , nitric acid will eat the rings away but not eat the piston at all , after removing the rings , with nitric acid u have to replace the little pin in the grooves that stop the rings from turning , cause it will eat that to , that is if u use undiluted nitric acid , you can mix it with white vinegar , but it will just take longer to release the ceased rings , cheers

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tip, Durban! But thankfully my rings came out no problem; new ones installed.

On another note; not a great time of year to be shopping for a tinnie! Very little on the market. Ah well, I suppose I should be focusing on the the main boat anyway... Back in 2.5 weeks! Living vicariously through other ppl's threads until then!

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just realized I never posted any pictures of the boat this is going on! For fun... here's a couple of pix, taken by the previous owner. (New bimini in chocolate brown installed since then; otherwise unchanged.)

1222525766-Boat1.jpg

1222525876-Boat5.jpg

Main motor bucks a bit under load, and stalls; some combination of old gas, water in the gas and gummed-up carbs, I'd guess. I filled the tank with new gas and SeaFoam, and injected some into the carbs when winterizing; we'll see if a full SeaFoam treatment resolves the problem in spring, otherwise I'll rebuild the carbs. Otherwise, motor seems good, new oil in the foot, shifts well. Still has separate VRO oil injection, new fuel / water filter this fall. Everything under the hood looks very clean. It's got a nice jack plate, too.

Hull is good from far, far from good; floor soft in places, and transom separating. I should have a little more 'play money' in coming years (just getting out of school) so I'm hoping to be able to run it for a couple of seasons, then pull the powertrain and put it on a similar (but sound) hull. Likewise all the 'gadgets'; kicker, GPS/fishfinder, radio, downriggers (future purchase), etc.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet little boat I like the setup.

Now if I can just get to your house so you can show me how to take apart and rebuild the my powerhead I'd be in good shape...lol..jk

kbait

Commander

Ps.. adding fresh fuel + seafoam won't get rid of phase separated ethanol fuel. The heavy/water laden gunk will still be in the bottom of your tank come spring. Try to drain some out of the bottom, or through the pickup hose if you can and put it in a glass jar to see if it's cruddy. Good luck!

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet little boat I like the setup.

Now if I can just get to your house so you can show me how to take apart and rebuild the my powerhead I'd be in good shape...lol..jk

Hey Chad, that's why I posted this thread; saves you the airfare to Ottawa!!

Ps.. adding fresh fuel + seafoam won't get rid of phase separated ethanol fuel. The heavy/water laden gunk will still be in the bottom of your tank come spring. Try to drain some out of the bottom, or through the pickup hose if you can and put it in a glass jar to see if it's cruddy. Good luck!

Good call, K... the belly tank has actually come loose, and needs to be bolted back down. It's only got maybe 20L of fuel in it, so maybe I'll remove, drain completely and reinstall in Spring, just to make absolutely sure any old separated stuff / water / crud is out.

64osby

Admiral

tsc - Sweet looking CC, looks like an 18', Can't read Mfg, looks welded. That Fastwin 18 should be a great kicker on that.

Is it me or is your trailer bent? Is it supposed to look like that?

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tsc - Sweet looking CC, looks like an 18', Can't read Mfg, looks welded. That Fastwin 18 should be a great kicker on that.

Is it me or is your trailer bent? Is it supposed to look like that?

It's a FG boat, double-hull... Cobia, I think they may have been bought out by Robalo?

I initially thought it might be a bit big as a kicker, since I see Starcraft guys using 6s and 9.9s... but then I realized, my boat probably weighs about twice what theirs do! So hopefully it'll troll down nicely, and still be strong enough to use as an auxiliary motor. I still have to figure out whether I will have it on an articulated mount, or just a fixed mount. Opinions?

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No opinions on articulated mount vs. fixed mount for the kicker?

OK, next question... my main is a VRO, so separate oil and gas feeds (i.e. *not* premixed). I guess I'll have to run an auxiliary tank, no problem there. As I understand it, I don't need an old-style pressurized, dual-line tank (since I have a fuel pump); should I be looking for a metal or plastic tank? And, not to start any wars, but... 50:1?

kfa4303

Banned

I like adjustable mounts if possible because of the flexibility they offer. You can get brand new ones for under $150. You're right, you don't need a two line tank because you have a fuel pump. You can get a metal or plastic tank as you like, but the red, plastic, 6-gallon tanks available at walmart work great and allow you to see how much fuel you have, but the vintage metal ones are cool lookin' to be sure. Just be sure to get standard OMC fittings and to point the arrow on the primer bulb on the fuel line points from the tank towards the motor. I run 24:1 in my '66 20 hp with Champion J6C plugs and it works great. That's approx. 5.5 oz. of TCW-3 oil to 1 gal of 89 octane gas, but I usually just round up to 6 oz. That's really about it. Here are some pics that may help.

adjustable kicker motor mount.jpg

paddle ties.jpg

view.jpg

tiller.jpg

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks K! That's the type of bracket I was considering. My only hesitation was that I had heard (no personal experience on this) that they can bang around a bit when they are in the raised position, running on the main motor.

tosoutherncars

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I'm back to Canada on Sunday... A day or two to get over the jetlag, and I'll be back at it soon!!

-Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.