Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

barato2

Commander
Re: Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

he doesn't even really know what he has there.
Jas, i still think i got you beat on clueless sellers, after that debacle with the 25'.

pondering writing her with an offer of 500 just to keep it from going to the scrapper

BonairII

Commander

This damn thread has given me "Starcraft Fever". Going to look at a 16' bowrider in a couple hours. :facepalm:

BonairII

Commander

Haven't even seen a pic of it yet. I put an ad in paper looking for Starcraft bowrider. I sent him this pic I found on the web, asking him if it was similar. He said his was very much like it(including bow rails).
openbow.jpg

Said he was refurbing it and wife wants it gone. Said floors are replaced and steering cable is new. Mentioned open floor plan, so I'm guessing sparse interior.

Seems like he's firm at $500. Said it has dual axle trailer. It's only a 35min ride, so I'm def going for a "look see".

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hope it's a great deal, in great shape, ready to be finished & ya drag it home later today:)

BonairII

Commander

Going to look at it around 6pm. I'll probably posting a couple pics of it and asking for advice before pulling the trigger. Boat isn't listed for sale anywhere, so won't have to make immediate decision....but I certainly will if it's obvious that it's a nice rig.

BonairII

Commander

Here are the pics...I haven't made a decision yet. I believe seller said it's a 1974, but didn't know model.

2aa40c56.jpg

99658949.jpg

dbcbb2da.jpg

4a5f2b51.jpg

28d971d0.jpg

Hull looks good, no dents or damage

Transom board felt wet, but not sure if that it was wet from the crappy weather. Didn't look rotted. Transom felt very solid when my son and I hung off it

Floor is new. Seller said flotation foam was dry so he didn't replace. New carpet(kinda ugly, but ok)

Helm is "dated" looking and needs a refresh. New steering cable, but it's too short to work with the transom tube that runs through my transom clamp. I can always steal my new cable from my existing boat....or just attach steering ram to front of my motor and leave the existing steering setup on the Starcraft.

Seller works with a friend of mine I haven't seen in 20 years (small world).

He seems to be firm at $500(he says he has $600 into the boat and repairs he's done). I didn't discuss price at all when I came to look at it.

The dual axle trailer is very solid.

What do you Starcraft boys/girls think?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Id say buy it if it fits your needs. Looks to be in fairly solid shape, and usable for the summer and could be modified/ updated at your leisure. Here in MI $500 for that set up would be a fair price. Is it the style you are looking for?

BonairII

Commander

Yeah, my son has his heart set on an open bow....and I'm liking the idea of putting a platform in the bow with a fishing seat etc.

I guess what threw me a bit was the green slime on gunwales and some of the other aluminum surfaces, but I realized it's just from the damp weather and the cover that was on it. The boat should clean up nice. Looks to be "splash ready" if I drop my motor on it.

Anyone happen to know what model this boat is or a ballpark weight?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

A scrub brush and soapy water will take that green stuff right off. I could be all wrong, but looks like. SS... do you know the year or serial number?

jbcurt00

Staff member

To better ID the model & year, you'll need transom height, transom beam, max beam (probably across the helm seat area), and overall length and look through the Starcraft forum homepage sticky @brochures....

I don't know that I'd want to haggle if you really like this hull, length & etc, but I wouldn't take the 'good to go' repairs by the current owner for 100%. If it seems solid, and you like this rig, at $500 instead of $600, I'd certainly entertain thoughts of a purchase. But w/ no motor, maybe not $500, unless you're more then confident about his repairs.

If you're not overly fond of any aspect of it, or the $500, ask to see it again in a day or 2. While there say very little, see if he shoots you a lower #, or wait for him to ask you about buying it, then try to get her hooked up for less then $400.....

My $0.015 (not even a full 2cents....)

BonairII

Commander

I'll def TRY to shoot him a lower number.

I hate the "lawn tractor seats"(seller says that's what they are) he has in the boat...and the ugliness of the helm, but I DO like the endless possibilities of the open floor plan and open bow.

I do like the solid trailer and the fact that if a tire blows out I still have 3 more holding the boat on the road.

It's 35-40 minute ride, so if I take a second look....I would guess that he'd be well aware that I was interested, so I'm not sure he'd come back with a lower number if I was in front of him a second time.

The trailer is probably worth $250+ by itself, so I guess I'd really only be paying $250 for the boat.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Here are the pics...I haven't made a decision yet. I believe seller said it's a 1974, but didn't know model.

2aa40c56.jpg

99658949.jpg

dbcbb2da.jpg

4a5f2b51.jpg

28d971d0.jpg

Transom board felt wet, but not sure if that it was wet from the crappy weather. Didn't look rotted. Transom felt very solid when my son and I hung off it

Floor is new. Seller said flotation foam was dry so he didn't replace. New carpet(kinda ugly, but ok)

Helm is "dated" looking and needs a refresh. New steering cable, but it's too short to work with the transom tube that runs through my transom clamp. I can always steal my new cable from my existing boat....or just attach steering ram to front of my motor and leave the existing steering setup on the Starcraft.

He seems to be firm at $500(he says he has $600 into the boat and repairs he's done). I didn't discuss price at all when I came to look at it.

id put it this way..

you got a motor...so why buy a boat with a motor. you are getting a road worthy dual axel trailer AND 500 lbs of aluminum boat that has a newer floor and carpet. and a steering set up...

if you figure the dual axel trailer is worth $250( should be!!!), then the boat is only $250!!

i paid that for a stripped 18 ft hull!!! thats the scrap aluminum value...

you cant go on expecting to find a cheaper boat......it just isnt realistic....

if the hull is sound.....and the paint isnt bad.....buy it put your motor on and you are boating in two weeks

if you want a running rig..you have to figure a no issue rig is going to be $1500...or more....

the glass is all good?

the best you usually see is a boat in poor condition, and a trailer that needs work and you are still in the $400-$700 range

bob

BonairII

Commander

if you figure the dual axel trailer is worth $250( should be!!!), then the boat is only $250!!

i was just posting that very same sentiment at the same time you were(see my prev post).:D

I'm not trying to be cheap. Just trying to think it through. Buying another boat wasn't my plan just yet. My current boat is running great! But I've been wanting a open bow Starcraft since I started lurking in the Starcraft thread.

I just happened to post an "I'm looking for a Starcraft project boat" ad on my local craigslist...and the seller emailed me within the hour. Damn him! :p

jbcurt00

Staff member

The Starcrafts on CL thread is the gateway drug..... It will only get worse from here..............

The sooner we accept it, the sooner we can all get on with the rest.................

Hope it works out.....

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bonairll, Looks identical to my 1975 SS, with minor differences, ie mine has glove box port side, and an aftermarket bow light, and my rail in the bow had been modified to fit a bow mount motor. Yours has lower rub rails and mine did not, maybe it is a '74, but not much different. Great boat, and great price.