Starcraft; 1971 V-Offshore

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starcraft; 1971 V-Offshore

Sprinst, you are the man! I bet that link describes my problem. I'll start pulling the outdrive and looking it over.

Thanks a million dude, I knew I wasn't hallucinating.:eek:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Finished the rebuild on the carburetor. It looks like someone had been in there before. Looked real clean inside. Well I bought the rebuild kit so I went ahead and installed it. Used a ton of gumout and a toothbrush and scrubbed her out good.

Turned the fuel air screws all the way in and then backed them out 3 turns. I'll get a vacuum gage and fine tune it from there.

I went to take pictures of this momentous event and the camera battery was dead. I know, I'm walking a fine line as far as my membership dues go.:eek:

I'm really getting anxious to splash this boat. Which reminds me the boat has a name; Bad Mojo.

Huron Angler; If doing my dash right the first time includes, one paper layout, one MDF proto-type (MDF sucks to work with), two pine (much easier) prot-types and then finally the finished mahogany dash, then yea I nailed it the first time.:p

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I bolted on the carb and filled the lawnmower gas tank with 89 octane and some Seafoam. Turned the key and nothing, batteries dead.

Next day (today) charged up the battery and cranked her over. Fired up, smoking like crazy won't idle low. Played with the fuel air mixture and rotated the distributer to adjust the timing. Got the old vacuum pump running pretty good.

Adjusted the choke it was too rich and holding the flap closed. A little more lean and voil? runs like a champ. Success on the carb rebuild, another step forward.

Next stop outdrive land. The leak is indeed the shift cable, you were right sprinst. Off comes the outdrive, I don't want to but I feel it's necessary.

I need some advice and encouragement here.Should I replace all the bellows? How big of a job is this? Well I'm going in boys and girls, and I don't know what I'm doing.:eek:

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Can't help on the i/o Don, but congrats on the progress, I'm still stuck in one step forward one step back, you'll be splashed before me at the rate your knocking things out! Now get that camera rollin. :D

sprintst

Commander

Not sure but since you've got it apart you'd probably want to do the bellows, etc. I did anything that could f up later, gimbal bearing, bellows, hoses, shift cable, etc.

I paid someone to do it but apparently the tube style bellows is easier to get on. Might want to check to see if there is someone you'd trust locally to do it cheaply or wait for feedback from others to see how bad it was.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I think that's some good advice sprinst. I've been watching youtube to see how bad replacing some of that stuff is. Not too bad, the throttle cable has me worried though. Really worried, I may not mess with it unless I have to. I'm crapping my pants just thinking about that cable. Someone tell me it's not that bad, tell me you did it and lived through it. I'm not paying anyone to do it.:(

Turn the key and a split second later the engine starts. I'm satisfied with it now. I'll pull the motor and tear it down over the winter. Full inspection and a rebuild if needed. This fall I'll run it and enjoy it.

I just had a thought, if the throttle cable seal is leaking a tiny bit, can I still use the boat? Just until the late fall, then I'll pull the whole thing apart including the motor. As long as the bellows aren't leaking into the boat that is.

I may just splash this and take my chances. What do you guys think?

fshngho

Lieutenant

Welllllllllllll Don? Didja? Huh? Did ya splash it? Inquireing minds want to know:D

Triton II

Commander

I think that's some good advice sprinst. I've been watching youtube to see how bad replacing some of that stuff is. Not too bad, the throttle cable has me worried though. Really worried, I may not mess with it unless I have to. I'm crapping my pants just thinking about that cable. Someone tell me it's not that bad, tell me you did it and lived through it. I'm not paying anyone to do it.:(

Turn the key and a split second later the engine starts. I'm satisfied with it now. I'll pull the motor and tear it down over the winter. Full inspection and a rebuild if needed. This fall I'll run it and enjoy it.

I just had a thought, if the throttle cable seal is leaking a tiny bit, can I still use the boat? Just until the late fall, then I'll pull the whole thing apart including the motor. As long as the bellows aren't leaking into the boat that is.

I may just splash this and take my chances. What do you guys think?

Hey BD, I'd splash it, get a mate you trust to drive and keep a close eye on things down the back for a while. Don't venture too far from the ramp until you're sure she's OK - then relax and enjoy the rest of the northern hemisphere summer! :D

TII

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Well I have not splashed yet. I was planning on replacing all the bellows, the gimbal bearing and the shift cable.

I ordered a cover from IBOATS, along with the poles, vents and strap system. It cost me $270 total. I'll get the bellows etc, next week. Then I'm going to tear into the outdrive.

http://boatcovers.iboats.com/Semi-C...54566/?**********=820544629&*******=416597776

I hope the cover fits.

As I get closer to splash time I'm getting a little nervous. I'll do this within 3 weeks.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You are running out of summer man, it's nearly September buddy! Drop er in the water and I'll be wayyy jealous of ya!

Cheers!

North Beach

Commander

Don, I know your stuff is a little newer than mine but the stuff you're about to replace isn't all that bad. I didn't do mine this last go around but knowing what I know now, it will be me the next go round.

Basically, you're just unhooking the tilt shocks from the outdrive side and taking the 6 bolts off the back of the stern drive and popping it out. Then you can reach the bellows and the cable from outside of the boat. I wouldn't fool with the gimble bearing if you don't need to.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

NB, I've watched about ten different videos on youtube. It doesn't look hard, but the gimble bearing can be booger. If it's corroded in there it can be a nightmare. That gimble bearing is coming out this winter though. Just because.:eek:

My mindset from the start of this project was to do all the work myself. Unless it's powdercoating or something like that. I even plan on making some parts on the cnc mill this winter.

This forum has given me a LOT of confidence to tackle some of these problems myself. I can't thank the Starmada enough. I hope I can give back as much as I've taken here.

Jason/Triton 2, she's going in this summer/fall. The leak is so small I might just ignore it. I'm doing a motor teardown this winter and I'd like to address it all (bellows etc) at once. Besides I just won two bilge pumps on Ebay. Both new, one 1100 GPH and a 500 GPH. Auctionsniper baby! Both for under $35.00 total!

Thanks guys!

fishrdan

Admiral

Nice work on the dash there Bwana.

For the gimble assembly rebuild, I'd replace everything, peace of mind. But,,, don't order an aftermarket lower shift cable, get the genuine Mercruiser/Quicksilver lower shift cable. It's worth the extra $$$ to get this part OEM, I picked one up on Ebay for $60-70. The OEM cable is built different and slides much easier, a binding lower shift cable will cause all sorts of grief, don't ask how I know.... :rolleyes: Oh yeah, if the lower shift cable hasn't been replaced with the new style cable yet, you will have to tap the bell housing to accept the new style cable, it takes a special tap.

Besides all the parts, you will need a couple special tools; exhaust bellows tool (I made one $4), an engine alignment tool $50 off Ebay, and a lower shift cable tool - super long 9/16 socket that can be home made.

Do you have the OEM books for the engine and drive yet???

On your question about using the boat is the shift cable is leaking... If the shift cable binds up it can (will?) cause the engine to die when shifted into gear. I had this happen earlier this year (crappy aftermarket cable) and had to jerry rig the boat to get back to the dock, not fun, wasted trip.

sprintst

Commander

You can check my thread if you'd like for a place to order the genuine Mercruiser parts...great prices and service.

I'm not sure if Mercruiser had the parts on iboats... I'd buy what I can from IBoats to support them unless they don't have exactly what you need. The only reason I didn't as I think they only had Sierra.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

You guys are the best! I'll be getting the Mercruiser shift cable and I don't think Iboats carries them either. I buy a fair amount of stuff from them.

fishrdan, I downloaded the merc manual from the iboats I/O forum, and I bought a Clymer manual also.

If I had the money I'd order all the parts now. Get a case of barley pops and some brats and lure the boys over for a day of manly, manly wrenching.

Funds are slowing me down as of right now. I still need a horn too. Lights can Wait, I'll boat in the daytime for now.

My boat cover is due in any day. UPS says it's in Detroit. No later than Friday I hope, it's supposed to pour on Saturday and my tarp is shredded.

You might be a redneck if the rips in your boat tarp are longer than your arm!:eek: I qualify guys.

Thanks to all.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Hey - HSF beat you to it!

I think you are just sandbagging and will splash next year - that way you can compete against 2011 splashers for the award!!

Actually = That is what the Award should be "20XX Starmada Splasher of the Year!"

Getting the pieces together

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey BD..

Been awhile..I pop in and catch up on whats going on with your tin can all the time but havent had a lot of free time to sit and chat..so theres not much to do in the hotel room here in Greenville, SC..sooooooooo

Love the dash! LOL @ the test runs before putting steel to the mahogony! ME? I woulda just ripped right into the good wood, ruin it and then finally get it right on the pine scrap I had laying around..lol

I wouldnt bother too much with the leak....watch it as stated but ell man..she wont sink ya and water wont get INTO the engine right?

When you do get into her, I know you'll get her done and say THAT? I was nervous over that? BWAA-HAAA-HAAA-HAAAAA...:D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I've been hemming and hawing over this too long, thanks CBK. I'm going to clean up my electrical doodads (bilge, blower, horn, etc) and go fishing.

Hopeshefloats, keep Murphy busy for a week or two will ya. I got some business to attend to and I don't need him peering over my shoulder.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great! Make sure we get a full report eh!

Have fun!!