Starcraft; 1971 V-Offshore

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starcraft; 1971 V-Offshore

Anyone know where I can get this solenoid? How about a part number?

Mercruiser 140
1971 according to the title
Sterndrive serial #2730991

Hey system-f, I have the same thing you do on the trim. Up or down, no limited trim on the fly. You tied your limit switch together, I eliminated mine all-together. I dumped my three button switch (two position toggle) and you converted yours to two buttons.

Most guys are not in favor of trim limit switches or trim gauges. Pacifiers for babies is how they described them. "You can hear when you trim too much". "Drive your boat by feel not by a gage". So says the I/O Gurus. 90% of I/O forum people agreed. I feel pretty secure.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Picked up a solenoid at a local marina. Will put it on tomorrow.

Wiring/dash
Trim Pump/electrical
Start engine
safety stuff, horn, lights, flares, fire extinguishers...
Splash and look for leaks
Race Hopeshefloats around Lake St. Clair

The first two are almost done!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Put in the new solenoid. Viola, works perfectly! Trim goes up and down pretty fast too.The old solenoid must have had some resistance on the leg that worked because the new one is twice as fast.

Real happy right now. You now how much a new trim pump is? $300 plus, solenoid was $50.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear you got it handled...
as to the race around the lake, the way I've been moving this last week or two, you may be racing against an imaginary opponent :( ;)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

This was Lake St. Clair a few weeks ago. We barely made it out of the Clinton River. Wasted fishing trip, 4 hours of dodging large craft in low visibility. Got skunked too.:(

Kenny is that you? I hear you but I can't see you? Your Grey boat blends in with this ghostly fog. Hmmm the Grey Ghost, better than Poo Bear!
may2010dash012.jpg

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Well I have been working on the boat a lot. I've just been too busy to post. Summer is a hectic time. I steal an hour here and an hour there and do a few things. It's tough to balance out everything but I have made some good progress on the Offshore.

Oh yea the wife bought two Peek-A-Poo puppies. This adds to the confusion, but is a great diversion as it takes the focus off boat funding.

* Carved out the dash from a single piece of Mahogany. Fit all the gages in it too. Looks awesome. Pics to follow.

* Mounted the fuse box and the negative bus terminal. Used a spare piece of wood and screwed it to the side of the drivers console, underneath. Sits just to the left of my left leg.

* Ran a single wire from the positive side of the battery to the fuse box. Ditto for the negative only it goes to the negative bus terminal. Used 10 gage wire. WIRING IS STARTED.

* Wired all the gages up. Used the old wiring harness, just cut it back about six inches. It's encased in very thick rubber. The ends of the wires that were exposed were rotted, but underneath the casing the wires look brand new!

Well that's all I have time for right now. We have a family outing planned for the Henry Ford museum. I'll post some pictures later. Lot's more work has been done, I just need to chronicle it for everyone.

Good luck to the Starmada.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Kenny is that you? I hear you but I can't see you? Your Grey boat blends in with this ghostly fog. Hmmm the Grey Ghost, better than Poo Bear!
may2010dash012.jpg

Sorry it took me so long to answer Don, just now found my way back to shore lol ;)
I like 'Grey Ghost', added to the list!

Glad to hear your still checking things off the list. Looking forward too the pix!!!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Well I finished the wiring, more or less. Still some small things to wire up, lights and horn etc. The motor is all wired up though.

Found a 20/25 gallon gas tank with sending unit for $25.00 on CL. Picked it up, and the sending unit checked out with the multimeter:). It's aluminum by the way. It stands tall enough to prohibit a seat going over the top of it. Oh well, I deal with that later.

Started cranking on the engine. It turned over, and over, and, over. Then the starter went out! I didn't crank it long enough to burn it up either. You could see marks on the solenoid where someone had been tapping on it.

Pulled it and the alternator and down to the rebuild shop. Hundo each.:( Got them back and they look brand new. I've been dealing with this shop for 20 years, they do great work.

Need to install them now.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Don, I can't see any of the work you are doing from where I'm sitting. Dude, throw a photo up on here, eh!

Cheers man!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Yea pics I know. I'm totaled from work everyday and working on the boat in my spare time. Photobucket is something I don't want to deal with right now. I'll make it right, pics by Saturday Am, I promise. The wife works Saturday's so I'm up at 4:00 am. Right after she leaves for work (5:30 am) I'll load up some pics. Before junior and his puppies get up that is.

I'm working on the boat 3-4 days a week, so I need to catch you guys up.

* Put in the starter and alternator.
* Cranked her over again, and again, and again.
* Diagnosis, no spark from the coil.
* Coil ordered.
* Points, condenser, plugs,cap, rotor, and wires installed.

Need to pick up the coil and install it.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

dashboard.jpg

picture of the dash before installation in the boat.

Triton II

Commander

Great looking dash BD! :D Can't wait to see the rest of your pix... good luck.

Did I miss something - I thought you splashed her on the foggy lake for a leak check or was the fog photo from the shore - if you launched her, did she leak?

TII

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look'in Great! Love the dash!

Love the fog pic too! 'Bout 2 months ago, that point was smok'in with smallies! Had to hide behind a tree just to bait your hook! :p

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sweet dash right there...thanks for showing me what it looks like when you do it right the first time around:D

Looking forward to some more photos(or pitchforks will be passed out to the unruly crowd:eek:)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Well replaced the coil and she's got spark now. Fires up then dies. After poking around I found the wire to the hot side of the coil was hooked up wrong. Re-routed the wire and the little Chevy fired right up.

Runs really rough, even after 1/2 hour of running her. The fuel that came out of the fuel line was amber in color. Real dark which is not good, I can imagine what the carb looks like inside.

Put some Seafoam in a gas tank and ran her for about an hour. Big improvement but still rough. She needs a carb rebuild, so I'll order a kit.

Motor does not knock or smoke. I think it just needs a carb kit. Checked the timing and it was right on.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Some bad news. There is a water leak in one of the cables. I did say cable, it's the dang dist thing. Water is dripping from a cable when I run the motor, the throttle cable I think, it is a cable anyway. It's not a hose, I have two other witnesses and I was not drinking at the time. WTH????

I've been told by someone who has restored a few Starcraft boats with his dad that; the bellows are leaking and pressurizing the cable. This causes water to run through (along) the cable. Freaky stuff.

Well the outdrive comes off now. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. What parts, what to watch out for etc. Famous last words but, it doesn't look that bad.

I'm pulling apart the carb and pulling off the outdrive, happy days.

Suddenly I feel strange, it's as if someone, or something is watching me..............must get digital camera before the Starma.....................aaghhhhh...............

Oh it was the dogs begging for some pizza, whew that was close.