Starcraft; 1971 V-Offshore

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft; 1971 V-Offshore

Hey BD, good luck with the wiring!!! Looks as messy as my boat was :eek:

Everytime I see a SC, I get itchy...lawdy lawdy...

Can't wait to see how this goes as you progress!!!! :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to see some pics of the SS...I mean Offshore(it's still an SS to me) gotta love the old merc gauges/controls:)

Good luck with the project, right now we just need some warmer weather...did mother nature forget it's April in michigan?:eek: we are in the low 40s all week here in Lansing.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

looks just like ss

I does look like an SS. I'm not sure what the difference is.
DSC00062.jpg

It has 5 chines. I think it is the hull, that's different. Anybody?
DSC00054.jpg

It snowed Friday, not much but it was snow. It collected on the boat cover. I'm not complaining though, it's better than 90 degrees. I'm a northern guy, if it's between 30 and 75 I'm good to go.

I'm mapping out the electrical with my brother. I'll order stuff and start on Saturday,pulling wire. Snow or not, thunderstorms will slow me down though.
DSC00063.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

MY brother helping out, removing the stereo.
DSC00056.jpg

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good so far , about the same condition my 16 SS was I bought in Oregon and drug home. Wife still not talking much yet but that leaves me more time to work on the boat. However my 16 had a 50 johnson rebuilt just before they parked it 50 feet from the ocean with no cover on it . The motor was excellent till I tried to steer it with a 4 ft to long cable that was frozen in the tilt tube, cut the darn tilt assembly apart with a saws all . now waiting for parts. I had three 140 Iron duke GMC motors and the one big thing I found the hard way was the timeing. The older distributer has Centrificul advance and it wears out and the shaft will wobble . May check it out . The carb is probably a Solex and fairly simple. Fuse block is a great add on as I replaced all my old wireing Cut it all out except what was in the harness from the motor to the control. Your Hull and exterior look great. Best of luck. Some Idiot put about 5 colors of paint on my 16 and it does not come off easly Took a grinder and a lot on elbow grease,very rewarding watching it progress. I have a nice 22 Holiday all ready for the Fish season so no rush here, good thing as it will be a slow process.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Well I'm in the middle of a big mess right now. The engineer in me says replace every inch of wire in this boat. Improve the system and modernize it. I'm being anal right now and picking everything apart.

I bought a bunch of wire a 12 fuse fusebox, two electrical books, a multimeter, tons of shrink terminals..................

I still need to deal with the cannon plug. The big fat round 8 pin plug that goes from the engine to the dash. I want to replace it however, they are not easy to find. I think I'll either go to the junkyard and scavenge a late model auto connector or keep searching the internet.

Who am I kidding, every inch of wire is going to be replaced on this boat. Some of the wires are dry rotted! This boat spent some winters out in the open. This is my first wiring job so it's going to take some time here.

sprintst

Commander

Well I'm in the middle of a big mess right now. The engineer in me says replace every inch of wire in this boat. Improve the system and modernize it. I'm being anal right now and picking everything apart.

I bought a bunch of wire a 12 fuse fusebox, two electrical books, a multimeter, tons of shrink terminals..................

I still need to deal with the cannon plug. The big fat round 8 pin plug that goes from the engine to the dash. I want to replace it however, they are not easy to find. I think I'll either go to the junkyard and scavenge a late model auto connector or keep searching the internet.

Who am I kidding, every inch of wire is going to be replaced on this boat. Some of the wires are dry rotted! This boat spent some winters out in the open. This is my first wiring job so it's going to take some time here.

That's my next step after I get my boat back from the engine/leg install.

Trying to find the post of the dude who shipped his wiring off to a guy who made the harness for him...for the cost that I could buy thew wire. All tinned wiring, heat shrunk, etc.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Getting close to jumping in that pool myself Don...best to you!
Think I may wait and see what Sprintst finds out, may be 'the' plan.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

http://www.sterndrives.com/wireharnesses.html

http://www.ezacdc.com/Scripts/default.asp

Here's a couple of sites I found that pertain to the wiring harness. maybe they will help out. Sterndrives has a bunch of information concerning Mercruiser wiring diagrams etc....

I got in all my terminals and wire and fuse box. I'm 98% ready to go. My Bro and I pulled the old wiring harness out along with the dash. All wires are being inspected and/or replaced. The harness from the motor to the dash contains the male receptacle end of the Cannon connector. This is very robust and I'll probably reuse all of this minus the terminal ends.

I'll reuse the female cannon going to the motor and just do some rewire and splice where needed. Half the wiring will be replaced in the motor harness.

I split this job into three parts;
a) Motor Harness
b) Dash harness
c) Trim pump harness (technically part of the dash but...)

I really want to replace 100% of all wires but, that's a lot of work and some is just not needed. My Brother is keeping it pratical and keeping me from going overboard.

Not many pictures to post, wires more wires etc... I'll take some good pictures this weekend. Oh you outboard guys have it made.:p

Kenny I have crimper's, books, and possibly extra wire. Pm me before you buy anything, you may not have to. Genuinedealz.com or Iboats.com if you do.

Good luck and God Bless.

Don and Zachary (my 6 year old)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Things have taken a turn for the worse here. While trying ever so gently to remove the terminal ends from the gages, I broke two gauges. Twisted the brass studs right off. I'm thinking I need all new gauges at this point.

I'm strapped for cash so spending a couple of hundo on gauges doesn't please me now. I'm emotionally attached to the gauges as well, so I'm grieving over this big time. Those gauges looked so classic on the Mercruiser instrument panel.

After two days of whining and looking at used gauges on Ebay, I've made an executive decision. New gauges, Faria Coral series. Affordable, black, new, what's not to like. Also I'm going to ditch the Mercruiser instrument panel.

I'm adding some additional gauges, I've got 1) tachometer, 2) ammeter 3) trim gauge, 4) oil pressure, 5) water temp. I'll add 6) speedometer and, 7) fuel gauge. Maybe.

The new dash will also be the instrument panel. A solid 1" thick piece of Mahogany. I'll fit the gauge where I want. I'm making a prototype from scrap wood now, and saving pennies.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you got a plan, even if it was derived due to Murphy again. & thanks for the electric offer, may take you up on it, if needed...not quite there yet...soon my friend soon!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I bought all new gauges. Amidst the tears and anguish I managed to pick out a style I could live with and I pulled the trigger. Instant relief, I am at one with the Starcraft universe again.

I don't know how the black gauges will look with the Mahogany dash. Time will tell.

Oh yea, almost forgot I pulled a Jasoutside. No I didn't lay my boat on it's side, I found a killer deal. I bought a speedometer that matches my new gage set from Ebay for $7.00. I didn't have a speedo before, now I do. Happy days.

Now if I can only find a new gas tank for $1.00 and a guy to deliver and install it for free, plus provide a written guarantee. Then I'll be in Jas's league.:p

Where's the postman, where's the postman, where's the postman............

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey buddy, I think you slammed me and complimented me in one fell swoop. Well done brotha! Great skill!

Now, lets see some photos of those gauges, eh!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Hey buddy, I think you slammed me and complimented me in one fell swoop. Well done brotha! Great skill!

Now, lets see some photos of those gauges, eh!

As Wally used to say to the Beav, just giving you the business.

Your negotiating and people skills are way up there. When I go for another Starcraft (my second boat a 14 footer) I'm going to get you to help me close the deal.

The mob is closing in on me so here's the pictures.

Oh, wait. Mr. Brown (not the postman) dropped some love off for me. I forgot UPS shipped my gauges not Mr. Blue. Wow two days, gotta love ups man.

Pictures;
Top is RH dash (drivers) bottom is passenger dash (w/stereo hole)
DSC00066.jpg

Instrument panel (gauges removed)
DSC00072.jpg

Old Mercruiser Gauges (Oh the pain)
DSC00074.jpg

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Trim pump Control Switch (I'm saving this one)
DSC00075.jpg

The Cannon plug, with wiring harness attatched. I will use the plug and clean up the end that goes to the dash gauges.
DSC00073.jpg

Paper template of possible dash layout.
DSC00068.jpg

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

New Gauges.

Not my first or second choice but decent looking, a great price, and Faria gives a limited lifetime warranty. I hope they look good on the Mahogany dash. They won't fit back into the Mercruiser panel. I have some thinking to do. Maybe an Aluminum insert or Stainless. Then mount onto the Mahogany dash. I don't know, I'm artistically challenged.

fariagagesonwood.jpg

012-1.jpg

The shot of two gauges is on a piece of stained pine. Just a piece I had laying around. Have not bought the mahogany yet.

sprintst

Commander

Getting close to jumping in that pool myself Don...best to you!
Think I may wait and see what Sprintst finds out, may be 'the' plan.

For the love of God do you think I could find that link... Still trying...