Shoestring Starcraft SS160 Resto-mod - let the long slow road begin

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Love that other people are interested in using this, but be aware that diagram is made by a huge new guy (me!) to boating and electrical, so double check everything before relying on it. I had done some research and tried to verify the cable weights and other considerations but as you can see in my thread I did still have a few questions.

That caveat out of the way, the covers for the second boat look great! I actually have all the original covers for mine, but they are a bit beat up and I would eventually like to get newer versions in a better color scheme. If your guy is anywhere near the GTA I may hit him up when it's time.
Understood and thanks for that. I think it looks really well thought out but I too am new to electrical. I hope you didn’t mind me reposting.

He’s in Ancaster. Let me know if you want his contact. I thought the price was reasonable and he was fast. Same day service!

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
I really like that bow cover too!! Will put that on my future wish list.

Biggest thing, as @Rasdiir said with that electrical diagram, is dont assume wire gauge is correct for your own application. Gauge needs to be matched to the length of the run for the given amperage. Ive been using this chart or others like it as a reference for the recent wiring Ive done. But in general the schematic is a really good representation to follow.
3B11510B-90E3-4219-85F7-4EB6C2DA7145.jpeg

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I really like that bow cover too!! Will put that on my future wish list.

Biggest thing, as @Rasdiir said with that electrical diagram, is dont assume wire gauge is correct for your own application. Gauge needs to be matched to the length of the run for the given amperage. Ive been using this chart or others like it as a reference for the recent wiring Ive done. But in general the schematic is a really good representation to follow.
View attachment 380383
Beautiful, thanks for this!

Rasdiir

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Understood and thanks for that. I think it looks really well thought out but I too am new to electrical. I hope you didn’t mind me reposting.

He’s in Ancaster. Let me know if you want his contact. I thought the price was reasonable and he was fast. Same day service!
No problem at all, share away!

I'm still quite a ways away from canvas, but I'll hit you up for that info when the day arrives (y)

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Planning my wiring build. I think I will make a panel on the bench and pre wire it with harnesses, then install it. Like this clean looking example.

Anyone know where I can get the labels?
Thanks

Attachments

• 61AE5819-831A-4B95-B393-92A7184F4F4C.png
    61AE5819-831A-4B95-B393-92A7184F4F4C.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 12

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Planning my wiring build. I think I will make a panel on the bench and pre wire it with harnesses, then install it. Like this clean looking example.

Anyone know where I can get the labels?
Thanks
Yeah, do a search for heat shrink labels new wire marine has them.

3-min-7.jpg

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Another question for you Starcraft Gurus;

Anyone know of a 2 piece thread in anchor that I could use but one that screws into wood? I’m thinking of something like the drywall anchor pictured.

This is to fasten a drop in floor drain down to prevent it from popping out when wave and wake busting.

I also considered expanding rubber well nuts but I’m afraid the top flange will mean the drain flange will be slightly raised off the floor, creating a trip edge.

Though looking at the well nuts again, I think I have my answer. Leaving this up for idea building with others

Attachments

• 7E72149B-86F2-4ED6-9F12-9AFA7BB7884D.jpeg
    7E72149B-86F2-4ED6-9F12-9AFA7BB7884D.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 97F895AE-9EF4-4926-88DF-17D31CD7D768.jpeg
    97F895AE-9EF4-4926-88DF-17D31CD7D768.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 0

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
More taking stock and planning my electrical needs.

Question; I have a pile of waterproof led lights that I’m going to install around the interior of the boat (under gunnels and helms, near floor on v bench riser etc.

Would you guys run power and ground’s to each individual light, or run all cabin lights together on one circuit? (In series I think you call it?)

I don’t like the latter in the event one light (cheap, offshore made) goes bad killing the circuit but holy heck that is a LOT of wire.
Is there a simpler method that won’t be affected by one bad light such as one common power and ground lead with offshooting wire taps along the length wherever there is a light?

Thanks in advance

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Also, my fuse panel supply, if the total of all fuses should every item be drawing full amps equals around 38amps, should I round up to 50amps for future upgrades or just to be on the super safe side? Means going to 4ga from 8ga cable which seems nuts. Both do actually. Does this sound like overkill to anyone?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Anyone have any luck with these style T connectors?

I know I can rig up a y connection but I don’t like the heat shrink method. It allows moisture in.

Attachments

• 6247D812-CED2-4B22-92E7-BD14655BCFF6.png
    6247D812-CED2-4B22-92E7-BD14655BCFF6.png
    888.1 KB · Views: 2

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Hey does anyone know of any free and easy software I can use to create schematic diagrams? I want to plan out my build on paper so I can build the harness on the bench. My hand sketches may take a lot of wasted paper.
I have some AutoCAD knockoff experience though I feel that AutoCAD might be cumbersome

Thanks in advance

Sharpie223

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used/am using open office "draw" to create mine, the equivalent of microsoft visio, I think. Like a more capable version of paint. You could use the shape and line tools in PowerPoint or equivalent, even. That said, mine are not snapped to a grid or measured/laid out nicely relative to eachother, just simple drawings that show what connects where.

Rasdiir

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used/am using open office "draw" to create mine, the equivalent of microsoft visio, I think. Like a more capable version of paint. You could use the shape and line tools in PowerPoint or equivalent, even. That said, mine are not snapped to a grid or measured/laid out nicely relative to eachother, just simple drawings that show what connects where.
Draw works pretty good, very similar to Visio other than the names of functions and location of buttons. I used Visio to create this electrical diagram: https://forums.iboats.com/attachments/ss150-electrical-diagram-pdf.354589/