Shoestring Starcraft SS160 Resto-mod - let the long slow road begin

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Alright folks, It's time to dig into the 1975 SS that i dragged home a year ago. Some of you may recall my "New to the Starcraft Club" thread in which I dragged home a tired boat and motor. I've decided to forge ahead and restore/mod this boat to my liking. This is probably going to be a long, drawn out project over the next 3-5 years, in stages so that I can use it every summer. My version is going to be a little different than the phenomenal resto's that many of you have done. As much as I'm envious of the level of builds I've seen here, I just don't have the time or funds to pull out all the stops. I will focus on value added methods but I realise that will by the end of the project have spent a significant amount of money on this, but spread out along the way and likely by upgrade over upgrade over...you get he idea.

So for this spring, I'm replacing the transom and adding a CMC tilt unit. I've picked up a few things along the way and will add them as I go. Photos to come....

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
First acquisition is this. Tested while off the boat, seemed to work. wish me luck....
Wonder if I should get a bigger starting battery. Thoughts would be welcomed

Attachments

• photo313246.jpg
    photo313246.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Sounds like a plan as long as you can resolve any structural issues without tearing apart the entire onion! I too had a similar mindset when I drug home my 18' SS 6+ years ago. :facepalm:

You've got a new transom in your sights...very smart start! :thumb:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks, I hope mine isn’t too rough inside, though I suspect it is from the troubles I already know about on the outside. I figure I’ll plug away and make the best of what comes.

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like a plan as long as you can resolve any structural issues without tearing apart the entire onion! I too had a similar mindset when I drug home my 18' SS 6+ years ago. :facepalm:

You've got a new transom in your sights...very smart start! :thumb:
I think most people start there. Unless you have another boat around or value the project more than the result (or have the vision and can pound out the job over one winter) it's the way to go. I see the build threads spanning years with no splash...and that's not anywhere I want to approach. I want a sound-enough boat that's functional and good lookin. The more I can spread out the time into mini projects, the better the completed work. I just need to keep thinking modular (which can be a tough nut to crack, because the interior, transom, and paint will all need to happen relatively soon) because i only have so much time to spend.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Alright it's time for sure, so have you started the tear down yet? Tear down, cleaning and hull repairs take the longest but cost the least.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I think most people start there. Unless you have another boat around or value the project more than the result (or have the vision and can pound out the job over one winter) it's the way to go. I see the build threads spanning years with no splash...and that's not anywhere I want to approach. I want a sound-enough boat that's functional and good lookin. The more I can spread out the time into mini projects, the better the completed work. I just need to keep thinking modular (which can be a tough nut to crack, because the interior, transom, and paint will all need to happen relatively soon) because i only have so much time to spend.

That’s just it, I don’t have the shop to get a full resto done over the winter. though I know when I strip the floors out, I will cut the fall season a bit short probably miss the opener.

I’ve had a frame off project truck live in my garage for years without seeing completion because it was too big a project for me and I’ve learned that shorter, attainable projects work best (for me). When I sold the truck, I vowed to never go down that path again and any project I do will remain usable every season

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Alright it's time for sure, so have you started the tear down yet? Tear down, cleaning and hull repairs take the longest but cost the least.

I have been dying to drag it out, but this Noah’s ark type spring has it stuck in storage. More rain this week. I chose a bad week for vacation. I might just have to fix the lawn. I should have dug it out when the ground was still frozen

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That’s just it, I don’t have the shop to get a full resto done over the winter. though I know when I strip the floors out, I will cut the fall season a bit short probably miss the opener.

I’ve had a frame off project truck live in my garage for years without seeing completion because it was too big a project for me and I’ve learned that shorter, attainable projects work best (for me). When I sold the truck, I vowed to never go down that path again and any project I do will remain usable every season
My wife and I literally made a new year's resolution to play with our toys this year.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Tomorrow rain or shine it’s coming out. My wooden runabout boat project sale fell through so it’s getting boxed up and stored away for another year, and the “Dog House”, the SS, is coming out. Ruts in the lawn or no ruts...it’s hitting the driveway. My stay-cation is fading away and so is the fishing season. Time to get at it

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ride on brother. I agreed 100% that modular work is the best route for most of us. CL and fb marketplace are full of half-finished projects. Don't be that guy! I still hope get my SS160 completed to a usable state by mid-Summer. The Midwestern boating season is too short to let it slip by.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Well, the weatherman was wrong. They’re having a tough time predicting the new patterns. Threatened rain all day but I forged through it and only a few drops, so quite happy about that.

I packed up my stalled wooden boat project for a few years down the road.
3C695506-0585-47B6-BE60-168E60DE5400.jpeg

I just hope it doesn’t rot while it waits for me. I’m planning on dressing it up with a custom windshield, cedar strip deck and a paint scheme like this one.

de5575ce-99d4-4a83-8319-edf493b76e99

In any-case, I managed to pull out the SS and get it in the driveway. Pics of the transom to come

Attachments

• E17B270D-9EB8-4477-BD01-EB1A3378A8B9.jpeg
    E17B270D-9EB8-4477-BD01-EB1A3378A8B9.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
On to the transom pics. I’m worried that my steering cable is too short for the CMC power tilt.

Attachments

• photo313559.jpg
    photo313559.jpg
    879.2 KB · Views: 36
  • photo313560.jpg
    photo313560.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • photo313561.jpg
    photo313561.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • photo313562.jpg
    photo313562.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • photo313564.jpg
    photo313564.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Slow progress today.

I had to build a motor stand to store and work on the merc and later the new to me 1976 70 hp Johnny.

Had to find all the pins for my home built shop hoist. I need a total knock down unit like the rental stores have. Frustrating tearing the place apart for stuff. And I have a LOT jammed in my shop.
But at least the motor is off.

Attachments

• photo313796.jpg
    photo313796.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 27
  • photo313797.jpg
    photo313797.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
CMC unit needs a clamp adapter :(
if anyone can furnish measurements, that would be great. If not, I’ll wing it

Attachments

• photo313798.jpg
    photo313798.jpg
    678.1 KB · Views: 21

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Bulge indicates way past due. No cracks in the knee brace though

Attachments

• photo313799.jpg
    photo313799.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Accomplished all I wanted to do today.

1)Remove motor
2) fabricate stand (major issues with electronic mask. Batteries dead. I had to muscle through it. Hope I don’t get an eye flash)
3) mock up CMC unit and test with motor on it. Sounds a bit tired. I might turn it back out
4) remove splashwell
5) remove transom

beer o’clock!

tomorrow will be less productive. I have transom blank glued.

1) clean and inspect inner transom skin for pitting. Exterior is horrible, but so far inner looks good. Just dirty/stained from rotting wood.
2) cut transom to size. I might just varnish and paint. Factory did NOTHING. In 30-35 years I’ll be in a home. This is the original transom.
3) address some wiring issues on the merc. I’m probably going to bandaid hoping my 76 OMC 70 looks promising. Plus some spring stuff. I fired it before I pulled it. She wintered fine. Love the angry triple sound of a 2 stroke on muffs.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
[No message]

Attachments

• photo313806.jpg
    photo313806.jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 34
  • photo313807.jpg
    photo313807.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • photo313808.jpg
    photo313808.jpg