Shoestring Starcraft SS160 Resto-mod - let the long slow road begin

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I have a soft spot for small runabouts with wrap-around windscreens. I almost bought a Starcraft JetStar before my current project. Looking back on it, I'm glad I passed on it. It was too far gone and too high a price. At least next time I'll know what to look for!
I like the starcraft Nova best for the wrap arounds

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice! Is that the stock windscreen? Very sporty! I'm imagining "My name is Bond, James Bond..." Sean Connery version for sure.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Ok so scope creep, heavy workload and time away from home has killed my project AGAIN.
Tonight I dragged home a small fiberglass bow rider with a damaged 4stroke merc on it. Going to toss one of my 2 strokes on the back and use it at my trailer for the season. This will allow me to continue taking my time with the SS. And if I like and keep the glass boat for the trailer, the SS will go back to be my garage kept travel boat as originally planned.

Hopefully I can fix or rebuild the 4 stroke. I want to clean up my act

Attachments

• 05D7D9E4-9BBB-44EA-9A8F-0FC5612F5CB4.png
    05D7D9E4-9BBB-44EA-9A8F-0FC5612F5CB4.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 5B6D4C1B-FB84-45BB-B66D-6E1C59078239.png
    5B6D4C1B-FB84-45BB-B66D-6E1C59078239.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • D5662CB4-7868-4BAB-BEF9-28E914507305.png
    D5662CB4-7868-4BAB-BEF9-28E914507305.png
    3 MB · Views: 12

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a really clean little glasser! We owned a Tempest 165 with Merc 60hp 2-stroker briefly. It was a fun little boat, but didn't handle well with more than 3 people in it. Lots of power to get on plane, but it felt unstable in turns which was disconcerting. Maybe it was my lack of experience, but the SS16 clone feels much nicer with 5-6 people than that Tempest did with 3-4.
That'll take the pressure off your project, so you don't rush it like I'm doing!

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks R. It’s on the small side but we’re on a small lake. The photos look exceptional but it’s a little more long in the tooth than it appears. I’m hoping some scrubbing will revive the bench upholstery. The cover back there has been missing and it’s a bit grotty. But this boat might be all we need at the trailer once I add a Bimini. Mrs. Admiral still loves the SS and is looking forward to it being done. I totally agree with you and her, they are pretty stable boats

Last edited:

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's the situation with the 4-stroke? Lower end issues, or powerhead?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure yet. The seller took it in on trade on another deal and didn’t want it. He only knew it had been stored at a Marina for a few years unused due to an expensive motor problem. I’m going to do a comp test and if that and spark checks out, I’m going to try and fire on muffs.
If it runs, and goes into fwd/rev, I’ll do a water test to see if anything shows. I’m hoping it’s reparable but if it is too expensive, I will part it out and recoup some costs

Last edited:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Ok so not SS160 project related (that is now mothballed again until this winter, or after I get the stacked and stalled honey-do list done) but I just got covers made for my “beater boat” and I am thrilled. My guy did them quickly and at a reasonable price. Next week I’m going to rebuild the carbs, add a tach harness and it should be good for putting in for the season. I hope

Attachments

• 01BABB44-CDF8-48C8-94F7-487D4DAB48AA.jpeg
    01BABB44-CDF8-48C8-94F7-487D4DAB48AA.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 7BE50E54-5177-44AB-841C-781C460201A3.jpeg
    7BE50E54-5177-44AB-841C-781C460201A3.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 18

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice! Nothing major wrong with the motor? Looks like your canvas guy is using your pictures in his advert on Kijiji. Just saw it come up a few minutes ago!

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Very nice! Nothing major wrong with the motor? Looks like your canvas guy is using your pictures in his advert on Kijiji. Just saw it come up a few minutes ago!
The pics I posted are the ones he took in his driveway actually. If you are thinking of getting some done you can come look at mine as an example. Boat will be at my home until tune up is done, maybe a week or two. He’s a good guy I’m sure he won’t mind you stopping to see one he’s working on. Motor: hopefully just carb rebuild/tune up is all it needs. Compression is good. Hood needs some love. Have matching paint and new decals. (Cause that makes them run better lol)

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Struggling to get this project moving again after a long hiatus and some major life hurdles that have recently kicked me in the face and unfortunately hit me with really hard setbacks.

I’d like to start building my dash and and electrical panels as I’m physically able. One panel for the fuses and electronics, and one for main kill switch for the starting battery etc.

Can anyone suggest build threads with notable wiring tutorials? I want this to be totally pro

Thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah the intricacies of electrical work is as much an art form as it is an exercise in OCD destruction. :LOL:

I put everything inside loom and used a bunch of zip ties. Once done and tested to work I made sure everything was tied up, hidden and called it good.

The main thing is fused primary wire at the battery. I used 12 ga (20 amp service) to the dash fuse block ga and the same negative with nothing connected to your starting battery is optimal.

BWR1953

Admiral
Struggling to get this project moving again after a long hiatus and some major life hurdles that have recently kicked me in the face and unfortunately hit me with really hard setbacks.

I’d like to start building my dash and and electrical panels as I’m physically able. One panel for the fuses and electronics, and one for main kill switch for the starting battery etc.

Can anyone suggest build threads with notable wiring tutorials? I want this to be totally pro

Thanks
Welcome back and I can totally relate to life setbacks. Ugh. :confused:

Hopefully, things will continue to improve for you so that you can keep plugging away on the boat! :cool:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah the intricacies of electrical work is as much an art form as it is an exercise in OCD destruction. :LOL:

I put everything inside loom and used a bunch of zip ties. Once done and tested to work I made sure everything was tied up, hidden and called it good.

The main thing is fused primary wire at the battery. I used 12 ga (20 amp service) to the dash fuse block ga and the same negative with nothing connected to your starting battery is optimal.
Thanks.

I’m planning on running a cable like you said to a fuse block under the dash for all lights, horn, bilges, and aux 12v plugs. With a disconnect switch at the back by battery. I want an auto bilge direct to battery for when boat is unattended in water but that’s the only direct full time connection.

I’m also planning on running heavy cable back from the pair of group 27‘s up front (switched) back to the house battery in the event I have starting issues (so I can tap into all batteries at once to start. So I don’t have to carry jumper cables and yank batteries to the back)

Last edited:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome back and I can totally relate to life setbacks. Ugh. :confused:

Hopefully, things will continue to improve for you so that you can keep plugging away on the boat! :cool:
Thanks, it’s nothing that won’t be resolved over time and medical procedures but it’s going to be a difficult journey. And things will improve, hoping by fall it will be in the rear view. I’m going to plug away on the good days

Rasdiir

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found this great schematic in @Rasdiir cool thread. Reposting to share with others. https://forums.iboats.com/attachments/ss150-electrical-diagram-pdf.354589/
Love that other people are interested in using this, but be aware that diagram is made by a huge new guy (me!) to boating and electrical, so double check everything before relying on it. I had done some research and tried to verify the cable weights and other considerations but as you can see in my thread I did still have a few questions.

That caveat out of the way, the covers for the second boat look great! I actually have all the original covers for mine, but they are a bit beat up and I would eventually like to get newer versions in a better color scheme. If your guy is anywhere near the GTA I may hit him up when it's time.