Shoestring Starcraft SS160 Resto-mod - let the long slow road begin

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Update, I located the brackets under “steering wheel bezel kit” but they are all standard depths. I found a universal looking one with more hole mounting combos, but who knows if it fits the gearbox from Italy. Might be worth a try. Come to think of it, I guess I’ll just make one that works with its bolt pattern.

I don’t think a shim block will work because the steering wheel shaft won’t protrude as far through the dash, so that’s a problem.

Interested to see how you guys handled this if you ran into it

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That rotary housing mechanism still leaves a little clearance on the back side of the dash. I have my switch panel sucked up pretty tight next to the bezel (which you'll also need to mindful of on the front side). It's a tight fit with the wiring, but doable. I wouldn't comprise you're steering/safety for dash layout. Get the steering mocked up and mounted, and work from there on the rest of it. I'll try to snap some pictures of the backside of my dash later today.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
That rotary housing mechanism still leaves a little clearance on the back side of the dash. I have my switch panel sucked up pretty tight next to the bezel (which you'll also need to mindful of on the front side). It's a tight fit with the wiring, but doable. I wouldn't comprise you're steering/safety for dash layout. Get the steering mocked up and mounted, and work from there on the rest of it. I'll try to snap some pictures of the backside of my dash later today.
I can see making the switch cluster work, but don’t feel on the tach unless I cut studs down. I guess I could do that. Modifying brand new things is always my last choice in case I have to return it. If you have time to snap a quick pic, that would be great.

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here you go. The dash is 3/4" and I haven't ran my steering cable yet as I want to get all my wiring done without the interference, but you can see there is still a good allowance of space. With the switch panel, the bezel wouldn't have allowed me much more room to bring it in tighter, and with the gauges, I wanted to be able to see them without looking through the steering wheel, but I would have had plenty of room to work with had I wanted them in tighter as well. I mindfully positioned my switches so I could wire everything up before installing, then just connect the positive wires going out to each accessory on the more accessible outside tabs. I have all my negatives ran to a bus bar that will mount just below the helm.
IMG_5583.jpgIMG_5588.jpgIMG_5589.jpgIMG_5590.jpgIMG_5591.jpg

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for this. Your photos make me wonder if I may have another issue to contend with; a cup holder. Hopefully the cup that drops in will clear or I may have to patch the hole. The good thing is I haven’t cut the hole in the nautolex that’s covering the dash top yet. I think. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at it. It’s all bundled up in storage, I better go measure

PS, that toggle switch assembly that you made looks really cool! Were you able to buy the switch medallion somewhere or did you have them laser cut & etched?

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for this. Your photos make me wonder if I may have another issue to contend with; a cup holder. Hopefully the cup that drops in will clear or I may have to patch the hole. The good thing is I haven’t cut the hole in the nautolex that’s covering the dash top yet. I think. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at it. It’s all bundled up in storage, I better go measure

PS, that toggle switch assembly that you made looks really cool! Were you able to buy the switch medallion somewhere or did you have them laser cut & etched?
Thanks! I purchased the toggle switch labels. They didn't turn out as great as I had expected, but still look good and serve their purpose.