Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Guys!
it seems my small HD has a larger line of stainless than past. So anyway, I went with 2 stainless steel kits 316 flat/round heads.

Wildey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Type 18-8 are standard grade, while 316 is a superior type often referred to as marine-grade steel. It’s known for its durability against harsh conditions that cause rust or corrosion. While 18-8 and 316 stainless steel bolts have a similar strength composition, restaurants, hospitals, and water treatment facilities are best served by marine-grade products.
Not sure about Home Depot, but the Hillman products at our Ace store are listed as 18-8.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Type 18-8 are standard grade, while 316 is a superior type often referred to as marine-grade steel. It’s known for its durability against harsh conditions that cause rust or corrosion. While 18-8 and 316 stainless steel bolts have a similar strength composition, restaurants, hospitals, and water treatment facilities are best served by marine-grade products.
Not sure about Home Depot, but the Hillman products at our Ace store are listed as 18-8.
What's 304 listed as? I just snagged a box of them too.
Found it. Ok I feel good about using these.

IS 304 STAINLESS STEEL A GOOD CHOICE FOR MARINE ENVIRONMENTS?​

Clinton offers SAE 304 stainless steel, which can also be found under the name A2 stainless steel or 18/8 stainless steel. 304 is the most popular stainless steel alloy available on the market. It is an austenite steel, meaning that it is non-magnetic in nature. This alloy was first developed by Firth Brown Steels nearly a century ago. It was originally sold under the trademark Staybrite 18/8, because of the presence of chromium (at around 18%) and nickel (around 8%) as alloying agents.

304 steel has a eutectoid point that occurs at 727 °C (1,341 °F). While it is not a good choice for applications that require electrical or thermal conductivity, it is well known for its excellent formability. With a carbon maximum of .03 percent, this alloy is also ideal for welding operations under 800 degrees F. While heat treatment is not an option, cold working can be performed to make the material both harder and stronger.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What's 304 listed as? I just snagged a box of them too.
Found it. Ok I feel good about using these.

IS 304 STAINLESS STEEL A GOOD CHOICE FOR MARINE ENVIRONMENTS?​

The short answer is no, especially if used in a SW environment. Will stain in a heart beat.

BTW be careful of the alloy “description” you find posted on the web. Many, many are full of misleading, incorrect or outdated information. Most are copy and paste from other websites.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Can anyone confirm that Home Depot stainless steel screw products are actually stainless for boating?
I need to get some to mount the rod holders etc. exposed to salt water.
I do have other sources, but they take a couple of days.
Their stainless hardware is stainless, but its most likely an 18-8 grade. Its reasonably corrosion resistant, but can start to rust with a lot of salt exposure..
Most marine grade stuff is 316 stainless which is the go to...

If you buy from mcmaster carr, you can probably get it next day.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I’ve used there ss screws and bolts before . Haven’t had a problem . But they are brittle and will snap if you not careful . Just the nature of ss
Well Sam,
LOL you hit it right on the head. They snap like toothpicks. Def. a walkaway moment and do over later.
The holes were predrilled and smally screws, low torque and still snap. Live and learn.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I had just visited my Grandfather in NE Philly off Roosevelt, and Uncle in Bensalem. Can’t say I enjoy those areas a lot now. I don’t go there too often, but force myself to make a trip every now and then. My grandfather still has his place in south Jersey but hasn’t had a boat in a very long time. He spent a lot of time on the Delaware Bay.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Couple of slow progress pics. Lots of rain I was going to do some teak wood trim but too wet. Putting teak back like it came out. So got under gunnel hangers for concealment for lines/wiring, hooked up fuel and vent lines.
Goats are doing great.
Templated plexi for windows. Made cuts. Adhered with Dupont VHB tape double sided for commercial window installations. This stuff is a 1 time install, no returns after stick. ery happy with it. Cleaned up those port and starboard side windows. Stuff like that.
tk 1.JPG
View attachment gts 3.MOV

win 1.JPG win 2.JPG

View attachment win 3.MOV

win 4.JPG

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our daughter had guinea pigs for a while and my wife won't eat anything with black beans in it any more, probably for ever, glad you can reuse the goat droppings. Here in central Fl the lizards like to leave their seal of approval on any progress I make on the boat.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Our daughter had guinea pigs for a while and my wife won't eat anything with black beans in it any more, probably for ever, glad you can reuse the goat droppings. Here in central Fl the lizards like to leave their seal of approval on any progress I make on the boat.
I'll take the rabbit/goat droppings any day over a dog biz. And I have 2 dogs and a cat.