Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

Tucker1968

Cadet
As well as this,
Stringers-Updated 03/11/2014

Epoxy Resin

If you choose to use Epoxy for your Stringers, then you'll only need to use Fabric or Cloth to cover them.
2 layers of 17oz cloth will be adequate. The drawing is basically the same just won't use CSM or 1708. Layup will be a bit more difficult due to the fact that Epoxy cures at a much slower rate than Poly and is a bit more "Runny" so it will have a tendency to want to run off the side of the stringer and Pool at the bottom. You'll need to Babysit it and keep pulling it back up onto the surface of the cloth until it begins to tack up a bit.

Polyester Resin

stringers-revised.jpg
Thanks for posting this. I recently learned what PB stands for and what products are required to make it. What does PL stand for? I (like many others) are trying to learn the lingo so I can understand process.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for posting this. I recently learned what PB stands for and what products are required to make it. What does PL stand for? I (like many others) are trying to learn the lingo so I can understand process.
PL is basically PB in a tube.
It can be used in many marine applications same as pb. Their is a wide variety of mfg's and they can all have different adhesion, drying and water qualities So make sure you use the right pl for the right application.
I prefer making my own PB in leu of PL simply because I have it on site. you can make it thick enough to do upside down work.
A draw back for me with PL is that after applied it needs hours or days to gas off. If you glass over it right after applying your glass blows up with bubbles.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Like Kevin stated, PL is a glue. It’s made by Loctite and is called Pro-Line polyurethane construction adhesive. It’s a really good glue but has some draw backs as mentioned such as gassing off and making bubbles if applied too thick. I used it when glueing wood pieces together like sections of the transom, laminating plywood to build thickness, etc. When bonding plywood to fiberglass I use PB exclusively. Adding milled fibers to PB will make it much stronger than PL. Link to Loctite PL below.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Dosed some teak I bought to seal it a couple of times. Then fitted it back to where there was original teak. I guess I lost it in the move.
So anyway....before and after. Still need to do TK 3.JPGstarboard side.

Teak before 1.JPG

TK !.JPGTK 2.JPG

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
juyst poppin in to see where ya aree, havent worked on mine all year eyes cant handle sunlight ... i might get out there though if it looks like you gonna splash in a couple months :)

Tucker1968

Cadet
PL is basically PB in a tube.
It can be used in many marine applications same as pb. Their is a wide variety of mfg's and they can all have different adhesion, drying and water qualities So make sure you use the right pl for the right application.
I prefer making my own PB in leu of PL simply because I have it on site. you can make it thick enough to do upside down work.
A draw back for me with PL is that after applied it needs hours or days to gas off. If you glass over it right after applying your glass blows up with bubbles.
So PL is different than PL400 the construction adhesive?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So PL is different than PL400 the construction adhesive?
There are many "PL" types out there. Specifically for marine use is:
Gets down to $$ and application the pl is going to be used for. Anything with the tag on it "Marine" will always cost more.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Taped up edges of front side windows and prepped for

Sikaflex-291 LOT, Black, Marine Adhesive.​

I prepped the glass with painters' tape today, so I had a 45+/- degree edge from the frame to the plexi.
Worked it in and I've had enough for today.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Completed 2 more windows with the sikaflex edging. Yea....
messy stuff for sure.
Here's a question for the sages. The johnson 225 VRO/86 came with a side mount controller and harness. The boat had a console style unit/no harness. I would like to use a console replacement. The current unit is a mess and not worth a redo.
I would also like an integral key sart vs. seperate.
Anyone have any ideas as of what I could use?
Thanks guys.
Side mount;
Shifter 1.JPG

Console unit;
shifter 2 .JPG

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wish I could help you. Both of my Johnson’s came with the side mount control. Possibly look around for a center console salvage?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wish I could help you. Both of my Johnson’s came with the side mount control. Possibly look around for a center console salvage?
Yea I'm gonna do a little more research, check with marine engine etc. See what they say. I'm sure there is something I can swap out though prices are high. Worst to me scenario is I'll use the ole girl, polish it up and mount it.

zool

Captain
Completed 2 more windows with the sikaflex edging. Yea....
messy stuff for sure.
Here's a question for the sages. The johnson 225 VRO/86 came with a side mount controller and harness. The boat had a console style unit/no harness. I would like to use a console replacement. The current unit is a mess and not worth a redo.
I would also like an integral key sart vs. seperate.
Anyone have any ideas as of what I could use?
Thanks guys.
Side mount;
View attachment 370468

Console unit;
View attachment 370469
New top mount Johnson with integrated key is about $175 on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2658932172...jZPC35lhbRPJPw%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

zool

Captain
I've seen them Larry but they all add a clause like "2003" motor compatible.
i didnt see anything about 2003, but did see 1997 and up on one review, but its mechanical, not electric shift, so maybe just the key and trim wire connectors are used for compatibility.....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
@zool
i didnt see anything about 2003, but did see 1997 and up on one review
Yea pulled that date out of my hat. lol. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
Whats ya think? and thanks again.