Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have one piece of plexiglas on my cabin. I got it from home deboxstore.....
Was cheap enough and ship to store was free

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Froggy,
You da man!
I'm using 2064 3/16" acrylic plexi and cut to fit. I will check out HD for alternative pricing.
2-36x28
2-14x28
Going glass has always been out of the question due to quotes. Found a place in NY for only 500.00 geez.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
And I found and ordered some plexiglass out of NY. Freight is better at $55.00. 4x8 sheet is $200.00 delivered. My buddy has a freind with some and thats @ $100.00 for the other windows. Went with clear for side windows.
So moving forward in regards to windows.
Drilled out last 2 rod holders at 30 deg. Went back in this morning to fair out spots on gunnels and trying to prep for paint. Rain here keeps changing from no rain to rain all day.
I would like to mount the teak grab rails on the roof this weekend between drops. So we'll see.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Took my little man to work this morning and hopped into the boat to sand in the pouring rain. Turning out ok. Looks like it's stopping again maybe get the roof grabrails started.

FAIR 1.JPG FAIR 2.JPG FAIR 3.JPG

FAIR 4.JPG FAIR 5.JPG

zool

Captain
looks great Kev. Better hurry, Yellowfin and bluefin as close as the wrecks are being caught, and a 325lb sword was caught in the Mud Hole, thats pretty close to shore for a swordfish.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
What a cool day. So I've been prepping the gunnel tops for paint. Then install related rod holders, gas and vent. ....
I sanded down the drips from the underside glass gunnel install with 220.
Next pulled up floor protector to access other drips.
I was very happy to see the floor which was already painted and lined out with nonskid was seriously intact.
I used my pressure washer with a foamer to soak dirt. Then actually used a pressure washer to scrub out dirt from the years long covered nonskid and deck paint. I used dawn soap for soaking the pressured washed.
My paint for the boat is the formula @Woodonglass gave me years ago using rustoleum.
I was very concerned the paint wouldn't take the electric pressure washer but I wanted to test cause if not now than I better get ready for an alternative.
The paint took full pressure within inches to blow out the dirt. Nothing peeled, nothing funked out. I'm impressed. Thanks Mike, you ole fart!
I do need to do some light scrubbing but I was blown away! I am under the impression NOONE uses a pressure washer to clean/wash the boat. Wow! to the rustoleum recipe Mike.

3 prepaint.JPG 1 prep paint.JPG

5prep paint.JPG2 prep paint .JPG2 prep paint .JPG

Attachments

• 2 prep paint .JPG
    2 prep paint .JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 9

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
The paint took full pressure within inches to blow out the dirt. Nothing peeled, nothing funked out. I'm impressed. Thanks Mike, you ole fart!

Man, you might have converted me.. not gonna redo the whole thing at this point, but only two years after painting the inside of my boat with interlux brightside, I've already got some spots peeling...
Some of it is my fault and I had an old shoddy cover on the boat the first winter and I think water sat in a couple of the low spots all winter and made the paint bubble a little, but some other spots also have flaked...

Seems to be pretty common concensus that single part poly paint isn't super durable but the benefit is its easy to touch up...

Guess well see if thats true.

Yours is looking great tho!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Man, you might have converted me.. not gonna redo the whole thing at this point, but only two years after painting the inside of my boat with interlux brightside, I've already got some spots peeling...
Some of it is my fault and I had an old shoddy cover on the boat the first winter and I think water sat in a couple of the low spots all winter and made the paint bubble a little, but some other spots also have flaked...

Seems to be pretty common concensus that single part poly paint isn't super durable but the benefit is its easy to touch up...

Guess well see if thats true.

Yours is looking great tho!
Thanks Prop,
Yup it was for me all about cost. This was a go float your but after purchase but obviously not the case. As is common.
Second coat going on today. Would have done it yesterday but Fathers Day played a fun distraction. I'm pumped about the paint. Just wanna finish this boat.
Pulled out all the other teak I forgot about from the dungeon.
Cheers, took off today. The weather is perfectly insane to paint in.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
2nd coat down, grill going. I took off today just cause. Paint lays just fine says I!
Just went and looked back at the pics. Most of them are from the other day. Sorry repost later.

Attachments

• 1 2nd coat.JPG
    1 2nd coat.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 2 paint.JPG
    2 paint.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2nd coat paint.JPG
    2nd coat paint.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2nd paint  gunnels.JPG
    2nd paint gunnels.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2nd paint gunnels p.JPG
    2nd paint gunnels p.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 3 prepaint.JPG
    3 prepaint.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 4 prep paint.JPG
    4 prep paint.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 prt.JPG
    2 prt.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 prep paint .JPG
    2 prep paint .JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 prep paint .JPG
    2 prep paint .JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2nd coat paint.JPG
    2nd coat paint.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

zool

Captain
Paint makes everything come together...looks great.

That V Johnson is thirsty, I ran almost the same engine on a 25 Hydrasport CC for a while, she would run 50 miles out and back without a hick-up.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Can anyone confirm that Home Depot stainless steel screw products are actually stainless for boating?
I need to get some to mount the rod holders etc. exposed to salt water.
I do have other sources, but they take a couple of days.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’ve used there ss screws and bolts before . Haven’t had a problem . But they are brittle and will snap if you not careful . Just the nature of ss

zool

Captain
Can anyone confirm that Home Depot stainless steel screw products are actually stainless for boating?
I need to get some to mount the rod holders etc. exposed to salt water.
I do have other sources, but they take a couple of days.
Tractor supply has much better pricing, hardware is sold by weight.