Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just a thought.
If you know a HVAC type person or someone with a welding shop, you might be able to use a heavy duty metal break to form stuff like that.

NM always nice to hear from you. There's probably brakes all over the place at the jobsite. I might of thought it out a little further but I just wanted it in. Turned out ok for me.
For now it's in for the next 20 yrs. Keeping up with it. Just so you know I did use a bunch of clamps.:D
Go Eagles. phwwwww
Just prepped a bunch of Italian breaded chicken cutlets for later. Heading back out. All invited anytime!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
LOL! zool This would be a close one. By the time I finish this one I'll have to start all over again.
Might be a gods idea of my hell. :lol:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
ae547c1dd3545b2782d5ea8f76e7bad1.jpg
Been hiding out in the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gulag_Archipelago
for unknown reasons. ;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So this has been on my mind for awhile and I understand there are 1000's of variables.
This is a questions for the Iboats forum Gods.
How far offshore can my boat go safely?
Lets assume a couple of things first off so we don't get into a pissing match;
-Not me but a talented captain
- SportCraft Off Shore 222 Family Fisherman/
-83 gal gas tank
-225 HP old outboard, johnson
-rebuilt hull system
-Assume all electronics and safety gear in place.
-Weight dry 2700 lbs no passengers
-draft 18"-24"
-Modified V hull
I've seen so may different comments. 9 miles to 30 miles.

Just wondering.
Thanks,
Kevin

zool

Captain
Given reasonable sea conditions...you can safely go as far as your fuel allows saving 1/4 tank for reserve...

For a while I ran a 1980 Hydrasports 24 center console with a 235hp and 100 gallon tank.....I regularly fished 30-50 miles offshore...never ran out even when I had to tack alot to deal with a following sea or storms.

You will have to calculate ur fuel burn after u splash to get accurate numbers, or install a floscan.

The hull will handle most conditions if you dont abuse it...its more about ur piloting skills and sea reading abilities...I routinely have watched smaller boas cruise past me while drifting, heading out to the canyons...which was the next stop past where I fished...

zool

Captain
Also, when you make up ur safety gear list, consider a stowaway life raft and epirb...In hindsight I cringe everytime I think about what could have happened if things went wrong,,,,floating around in a life jacket 20 miles out is not where you ever want to be ;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Also, when you make up ur safety gear list, consider a stowaway life raft and epirb...In hindsight I cringe everytime I think about what could have happened if things went wrong,,,,floating around in a life jacket 20 miles out is not where you ever want to be ;)

Thank you. I'm looking forward to the run but it'll be a learning curve with me and the boat for sure. I do like the raft. They can get pricey but I haven't really hit the research hard yet. Plus I've seen them on craigs but you need to stuff back in the bag.

chevymaher

Commander
Look into tube toys for pulling behind the boat. They are cheaper. Some of them are small boats and hold 4 people.

zool

Captain
They are pricey, but I would take a used one over none at all..

Which inlet do u plan on heading out of?....that will kinda dictate how far u will be headed out to fish.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not much help here .. I don’t do the offshore other than paddling out 50 to 100 yards or so on my surfboard ..
I used to work on shrimp boats and snapper boats when I was young until we almost sunk around 80 miles out on a snapper boat . Haven’t been back out other than just past the jetties since..
But like Zool said weather and fuel permitting could probably go 20 -30 miles or so ..
Just take baby steps .. Each time you will get more experience and figure out your capabilities ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
They are pricey, but I would take a used one over none at all..

Which inlet do u plan on heading out of?....that will kinda dictate how far u will be headed out to fish.

Yup...Safety first, I'm with you on that. Maybe Fortescue or Cape May roll along the beach area there from out of the Delaware bay. Fishing gotten pretty bad in this area. Slowly make my way up the coast to another inlet. Barnegat always seemed good fishing. Heck maybe even over to Maryland/Chesapeake for some rock fish.
Hopefully mid summer. :)