Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

I've been a long time lurker here, but finally joined up as I'm about to start on a complete resto/repair. So that being said, I'm a "noobie" so take it easy on me! :eek: Hey KC, does this look familiar??

boat002-1 (1).JPG
My father, who retired from GE after 40 years went into a marina on Lake St. Claire here in lower Michigan in the summer of 1989 and bought this boat brand new. He had worked his entire adult life never doing anything for or buying anything for himself. He always put his family before himself. When he retired, my mother insisted he do something for himself as a reward for all of his hard work and this is what he chose.

We fished this boat hard on the Great Lakes, fishing the scum line on Lake Michigan for Skamania steelhead and kings sometimes 20+ miles offshore. We fished the spring kings on Lake Huron, summer walleyes in Saginaw Bay and Lake Erie. As the years passed, my fathers health started to fail and it became impossible for him to handle the boat both physically and financially. Through the years I had spent a fair amount of money in fuel, upkeep and repairs so when the time came my father simply gave the boat to me. We continued to fish until he became so ill that he could no longer go. The picture you see was from 8+ years ago, when it made it's last trip on the water on Lake Erie. After that trip, we discovered that the boats stringers and transom were rotten.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I'd finally resolved myself to do what I had to and finally get rid of it by stripping in down and chain sawing it up and hauling it off to the dump. I took my saw, fueled it up and walked out to the boat. It's a terrible mess compared to what you see in that picture, but I'll get into that in my own thread later. Anyway, as I looked upon it, my mind was flooded with visions of the past and of my father and I and the incredible adventures we'd shared and I wept. You see, my father passed away a year and a half ago and I miss him terribly, so standing there with a chain saw in my hand thinking of sawing up one of the biggest joys of my life and my fathers dream broke me down and I sobbed like a child. Something changed in me at that moment, and I knew what I had to do. I put the saw away, and I'm now going to make this boat 10x better than it was new. I joined this site, and on the first day saw your journey and felt compelled to jump in and tell you my story. I look forward to watching you realize your goals and can't wait to see it get splashed!!

Sorry everyone for the novel, but it just kept pouring out of me! :embarassed:

Marc

Attachments

• boat002-1 (1).JPG
    boat002-1 (1).JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 2

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ha... he would be very proud of you. Yoiu made the the right choice too! I wanted to get my boat together to take my dad out cause he taught me everyhting. He passed during this adventure. He never quit at anything so I'll go on with it too. We owned a rerstaurant and worked 7 days a week everyday of the year. Mom too. "Cassells Inn", Narberth, Pa. Boats gonna be named that or for my parents, "Nacny James".
Thanks alot for sharing we have alot in common to our projects. I still talk to him. Lately cussing him for the project I started, only kidding. I feel ya. Keep at it. It's not an easy rehab.
Let me know anything you want to help out and lock up that chanisaw.
Best of...Kevin

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This story is exactly what this forum and it's members is all about. We all know that most boat restorations don't make financial sense but...When you have this kind of story behind the boat, well it makes all the difference in the world. Can't wait to come aboard when you get your thread started. You'll receive some of the best advice there is and as you said she WILL be better than factory when you're done.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
There are alot of great guys here to support you. I couldn't done it without them. I bought that bought ...so pretty and shiny, brought it home and omg...worms in all the mush wood. This site made everything possible.
Yup start your thread. Lookin forward to it. Watch out for Micky though....:joyous:
We actually have the same goofy mentality. Lots of good peeps here for sure. And we will push your *** to do it!
If you ever hear wog say "it's your boat you can what you want."...look out!! He'll come over to your house and set you straight!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
wog sayin "it's your boat you can what you want. is kinda like ya wife saying do whatya want .. the guilt will overwelm you and you will tear it out and make it right eventually :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Click image for larger version  Name:	transom liner1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	313.5 KB ID:	10583936Click image for larger version  Name:	transom liner 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	308.6 KB ID:	10583937 So yesterday when I got home in the morn...I grinded out the transom area where the old deck drains were. As I said real crappy no access area and the both were sealed with silicone to the liner. So here's a note to yap about. The liner comes on the insides hull. They are integral to the outside as well as your flat area that holds the rods for lack of a better word...oh yea yea...gunnels. The floor rests on that portion inside the boat. There is a gap along the entire perimeter of the floor where the liner comes down to meet. So look at it as a floating floor made stable by the ply deck.
What I;m getting to is this. SEAL UP YOUR RUBRAILS/SCREWS AND PENETRATIONS OR YOU WILL HAVE MAJOR ISSUES WITH WATER.
Anyway I pb the skin to the side of the hull and glassed over on 1 side today in prep for relocating self draining penetrations. Wet on wet.
Oh and hung a cool clock w/pendulum.
Click image for larger version  Name:	cool clock.jpg Views:	1 Size:	292.2 KB ID:	10583939

Attachments

• transom liner 2.jpg
    transom liner 2.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hey KC, the workmanship on the install of the scuppers on our boat was terrible, but after we got caught way offshore in sudden storms on Lake Michigan once, and another pretty bad one on Lake Erie they made a believer out of me. We took a crapload of water over the bow on Lake Michigan, the waves were 10'+. One wave came over the bow so high and hard it broke the windshield frame and we were standing in 2 feet of water in the cockpit until the cockpit self bailed, which is did thankfully.

Dad and I were pretty shook up after we got the boat back on the trailer hours later. I can tell you that for a while I really wasn't sure we were going to make it back in.That day made me realize what a self bailing cockpit was and why we needed it. I'll put the scuppers back in the boat, only I'll install them correctly and make sure they don't look like Ray Charles did them while drunk and high:faint2:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well there's a scare and validation for the value of deck scuppers.
Did the other side of the gunnel/liner. Darn happy how that 1700 rolled into the curves and undulations of the pb I placed yesterday. Cool here and rain seems immenient all the day. Using some heat lamps to pick up the pace. Wet on wet.
Some real weird weather going on. Sitting on 63 deg and the other day high 80's. Looks like some rain relief later in the week.

liner 2.jpgliner lamp.jpg

Hey KC, I was wondering if you knew how much epoxy and 1700 you've used so far? Being as our boats are similar I was hoping to get a rough idea about how much to order for the first big order.

The boat is looking awesome man and your glass work really looks professionally done and super high quality!