Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice work KC! Now please slow down so I don't feel guilty for my lack of progress!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys! Feeling good. Got the ok to go back to work monday!! Trying to catch up on lost time.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Good day plus weather. No rain, everyday they say rain and luckily it passes.
Got another coat on the ruff after sanding and acetone. Next went to the last 2 windows and installed gaskets.
The rubber definitely gives the finger tips a work out when you have to spread it on the flat runs and more difficult on the radius.

716 1.JPG716 2.JPG716 3.JPG

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks like you need some help finishing up that Bud ! Dang too far away for me !

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well got some Epines varnish in today and put on 1st application. Looks like the Blue Bird Of Happiness flew by.
Not sure if I like this stain. Im going to play around a little bit.

717 1.JPG

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Not the bird stain. Looking for something fuller and more natural. I did do a test so we'll se tom.
looks like Sam has become my eternal angel poster. sphelps
Too funny....the moderators do like to have fun don't they though. What a joke.Time to clean house Says I!
Cheers!

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Put down the 2nd coat of varnish. Boy it sure does go down nice. sphelps How many coats did you end up doing? Thanks.

718 1.JPG Their are some bubbles. But realized I'll be putting accessories over those areas.

The next pic has a sample pc. of straight natural varnish and don't see much of a change in colors. I'll stick with the original plan.

718 2.JPG Couple more coats and good to go.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I put 7 coats on IIRC on the WM .. Sanding between each coat .. Probably could have used another 3 but just got tired of sanding .. Did you thin the first coat 50/50 ? I have decided the varnishing is not at all easy to keep stuff out ..
Are you rolling it ? I would roll it then tip it down flat with a good brush ... That helps remove the bubbles from the rolling ..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I put 7 coats on IIRC on the WM .. Sanding between each coat .. Probably could have used another 3 but just got tired of sanding .. Did you thin the first coat 50/50 ? I have decided the varnishing is not at all easy to keep stuff out ..
Are you rolling it ? I would roll it then tip it down flat with a good brush ... That helps remove the bubbles from the rolling ..

1st coat went down 50/50, 220 sanding
2nd coat went down 50/25 drying
3rd calls for 15%
Rolls on like a charm. No bubbles yet. Expect that though with thicker viscosity.

Thanks Sam. It does seem like with 2 coats will need more than 3, prob. 7. Luckily this is a small flat pc.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Back at work today so schedule is getting reworked. 1st shift and no 3000 people in the facility, only trades, subs and security. Ghost town but glad for that.
Did prep on stuff from yesterday and 4th coat straight varnish no thinner. The build up is looking very nice.
I need to order some paints and utter stuff to keep moving forward.

oldrem

Commander
Been off the site for a bit and just catching up. WOW you've been kicking some butt in spite of everything else you had going.