Questions answered here

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Questions answered here

:) DJ! I always try to live within the system and I'm sure alot of other people do also!! "But sometimes we just can't do that, after all, none of us are perfect!!! ;) there are so many laws that the average good citizen unknowingly breaks the law every 3minutes!!! <br /><br />One way and the best way[no lawyer], to beat a drunk driving rapp, is having a reletive or 2 and or friends with a badge and in most cases it won't get to court, unless you have an accident on the way home, then you are on your own!!!<br /><br />Policemen! Cops! etc: right 12footer!!! ;) <br />They are "human" also, there are good and bad, mostly good!!!! ;) <br /> Just like you and I, they speed, they go thru stop signs,and some drink and drive intoxicated!!!<br />Lets say it's part of their benefit package!!! ;) <br /><br />I think it is sometimes a hard job, a thankless job and non appreciative!!!<br /><br />"Under paid!!" not around here in our small city!!! Some with overtime make more then the chief!!! average yearly with o.t. approx.80-110 thousand for the year!!! ;) :cool:

f_inscreenname

Commander

If you are on a lonely road and you blue light me (maybe in a unmarked car). How do I tell you I don't feel safe here and I would rather have you follow me to the police station without it turning into a high speed chase or you using the pit maneuver?<br /> Do you all think people with more then a .22 hand gun in there home (like me, I have 14 different guns) are gun nuts and are dangerous? <br /> Thanks

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

In reference to the beater car verses nice car, what I have learned so far is to focus on the beater car if given a choice between the two. On average, what I have seen so far is if a person does not take care of their car, the odds are much higher that they don't have insurance, may have warrants, etc. It has so far proven to be true. <br /><br />Usually if we see a car that is beat to heck, smoking, some of the lights not working, we run the plate while just driving behind them. Almost always comes back with some issue. Registered driver has a suspended license, you name it. There needs to still be a reason to pull them over though, like no brake lights or whatever. If it is just a crappy car but everything works, then he better be speeding or whatever. If it is a really nice car with a sketchy looking kid driving then we run the plate to see what comes back. 99.9 percent of the time it is just the owners kid out driving and making poor choices in how he dresses. <br /><br />As long as they are not breaking any laws and don't have any warrants, they are left alone. People still get nervous though when the cop car is following them for the amount of time it take dispatch to come back with the info.

Fly Rod

Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br />[QB] Hmmm. The only arrogant officer I ever dealt with was a young female (probably early 20s) Texas State Trooper. She reminded me of a High School bully.<br /><br />Come on JB!!! You just wasn't into the "Kinky stuff!!!" when she took you to her place and handcuffed you to the bed post!!!! :p :p

Skinnywater

Commander

In your opinion;<br /> What would the long term net causes and effects of legalizing illegal drugs be?

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by Skinnywater:<br /> In your opinion;<br /> What would the long term net causes and effects of legalizing illegal drugs be?
In whose opinion ? Anyones ?<br /><br />Edit: Nevermind Skinny ,I clicked on the wrong topic. :( I better get another cup of coffee. :)

Skinnywater

Commander

DD started the topic and offered his qualified opinions and knowledge.<br /><br />I'd appreciate one from any or all in the law enforcement business.<br /><br /> :) I'm looking out the window at buckets of rain and I'm on my 3rd cup already.

D

DJ

deputydawg,<br /><br />"Profiling" seems to be a hot topic, especially since 9-11. Because of the PC nonsense we are frisking 80 year old women in airports. :mad: <br /><br />It seems to me, since I don't know that's why I'm asking you, that a police officer has to profile. It just makes common sense. At least to me. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck-right?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Nate, by law refusal to sign a aticket will get a free ride to jail. Signing says you agree to appear in court after you are released. Not siging means you refuse to appear, so you will be held to post a cash bond or held until court. We used to be able to jail anyone we felt wouldn't appear or pay the fine. It was standard to jail all speeders from out of state. Glad they changed that!<br />We sometimes use lights to get through traffic lights, then turn them off for a variety of reasons. It actually in heavy traffic takes me longer to get someplace with the lights on. Every car I get behind will jam the brakes, slow to 30 and start digging for registration or grabbing seatbelts. Not good when I am cuising 130mph! Also some calls like domestics or burglaries in progress I don't want to announce my arrival with lights and sirens, but I don't want to wait for traffic lights. I would like to say most of these cops are running what we call code 1. In a big hurry, but not at top response speed. I know some use it just to get through the lights which is a major abuse of power and a huge liability.Arrogant cops make me very mad. We have to be a little arrogant to take charge. Most of them let the bagde get to their head. <br />12footer, the free coffee and doghnuts is a nice offer for added protection. We used to have an all night gas station that gave us free fountain pop. Another that gave free coffee. One state trooper got complaints because he would stop in, grab a free pop and leave. He would then hang out for free coffee for hours, sometimes 4 hours a shot. I would take one small free pop, talk to the clerks then back on shift. I don't like free stuff. A local restaraunt/bar owner here tried to give me free pop. His bar was close to empty one night so I stopped in for a can of pop. He said it was on the house, I explained I couldn't take it and gave him a dollar. He said I see how this goes, and gave me 4 quarters in change. I talked for a few minutes and left leaving the pop on the counter. I couldn't owe this guy any favors!<br />Ken, that is the exact reason I do several drunk tests. The stress and nerves cause some people problems. And yes it is sometimes hard to stop the beating!<br />Fly Rod, I want to move to your town! After 9 years, being administration, I make 23,700 salery. No overtime in most Nebraska departments. The highest paid in this state is Omaha, around 60,000.<br />As for driving to a safe location to pull over, I am not sure the best way. We had a security guard around here a few years ago with a dash light. He was pulling people over, flashing his security guard badge, beating the crap out of them and leaving. Our advice was slow down, put on your hazard flashers and continue to the nearest well lighted place. BUT this may not work in all areas. If you have a cell phone call 911 and try to get connected to the officer. The bad thing is somehow making the officer aware you are going to a safe place, not eating dope or something like that. In Nebraska it is against state law to use un-marked cars to work traffic patrol just for this reason.<br />And no, a lot of guns is a sign of a person I want to know, not a dangerous gun nut. The area I live in it is very common to have several weapons, and there are a lot of collectors and hobby shooters. Here it is normal to have several guns. <br />Hmmmm, skinny, why do you ask? I personally think they should legalize marijuana, tax it and control it. It does have a long term intoxicating effect well after the high has worn off, and it does carry 10 times more cancer causing agents than cigarettes, but with proper warnings on lables and taxing so on. I think legal use and social acceptance we would see less abuse and addiction in time. The other drugs, meth. X, GHB, heroin, crack and so on I think is far too addictive unpredictable and dangerous to legalize. People say X is safe and harmless, but I have a few stories I could share.<br /><br />DJ, years ago we were trained to profile. A brand new car driven by white trash from a source state with no luggage and fast food wrappers on the dash, definate stop and search. But now that is a dirty word. I agree with the racial profiling side of the law to a point. I have seen cops stop a car with 4 black men because they were in a small town in the next county after dark. And the car was from another state and was cruising a residential area. I would have stopped them too. BUT I would have asked if they needed directions, which turns out they did. They needed to find a house to dump 20 pounds of weed, and were lost. The facts for the stop should have been a car from out of the area driving a residential neighborhood at midnight. Instead the officer reported a car with 4 black males driving a residential area after midnight. The black should have nothing to do with this case. <br />I totally disagree with the racial profiling sheets we have to do now. We have to log all traffic stops and what race the driver is. BUT the only choices on the form is black, hispanic, and I think one other. They do not adress aisan, middle eastern, american indian etc. Also my area just the way it is I might stop 30 cars driven by white people for every 1 driven by a hispanic or black person. if I find a need to search the car drivin by the non white person and only search one of the cars driven by the white man, then I will be sued for profiling. So even if I think that 1 hispanic man has drugs in his possession, I can't ask for consent to search for drugs unless I have set several hispanics free in the very recent past. <br />It is an excelent idea and has a good concept, but typical for government work is the stupidest thing I have heard of in a long time!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I'll start at Nate. If you refuse to sign a ticket you go to jail. Don't pass go, don't collect $200, off to jail you go. Signing is not admitting guilt, its saying you will contact the court. Red lights at intersections only. Sometimes a call comes in that is urgent but not necc life threatning. The lights sometimes diestract drivers and will actually cause an accident. The cop uses the lights to get through the intersection and then cuts them off, hoping to help preserve safety. Or he's just late for coffee with the boys. :) Wht are most young cops arrogant? Your 26 right? Have you not been in a few pissing matches here in DC? It is a ton of responsibility. Adding youth to the mix only makes it harder. Its an entirely different world. You MUST take control, you MUST be in charge, you MUST be the final answer. That doesn't leave a lot of room for comforts. That being said- A lot of the young guys, and some of the older ones, just can't handle it and let it go to their head. <br /><br /><br />JB- You are right again. Krispy Kreme is the correct spelling. I don't eat the donuts either.<br /><br /><br />Ken- The walk and turn and one leg stand is only a small part of it. The true test is the horizontal gaze nystagmus. That is where the pen is moved side to side. Many people think its to see if you can follow it. Its not. Its to track the movement. When you have been drinking your eye movement becomes jerky. This is called nystagmus. Hhow much you have had to drink determines where and to what degree the nystagmus occurs. It is almost fail proof. Unless you have had a head injury then it will show up. There is also a vertical gn that shows drug use but I am not too familiar with it.<br /><br />Fly rod- average salery around here is about $25000, thats quite a bit less than your area.<br /><br /><br />Screenname- Continue to drive in a safe and normal manner. Proceed to a open safe area with lots of people around. Nope on the guns. I have about the same amount. <br /><br /><br />Skinny- I don't know. I am for legalising marijauna and other natural drugs. Synthetic drugs should be illegal but those that God put here should not. Just my opinion.<br /><br /><br />DJ- I went through the academy in 96. We were taught profiling. If a hispanic male is driving a Ford truck and is from the valley (tip of the US-Mexico border) he is probably dirty. If a black male, 20 YO is driving a new cadillac with wire wheels and a big system he is probably dirty. If a white guy is skinny, doesn't work, and is always drinking, he's probably a speed freak. These are facts of life. They are true 99% of the time. It simply comes down to it that some people don't want to admit that there race is more prone to do a certain illegal activity. Blacks smoke more crack than whites. Fact. Whites do more speed than blacks. Fact. White kids do more extecy than do blacks. White kids are more than likely paying for their drugs with momma and daddies money whereas blacks usually resort to stealing to fund their habit. Although its all common knowledge and comman since some just refuse to accept the truth. What we were taught is now illegal. Gotta love being a cop. We have openings, anybody wanna apply? :)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

This thing is wearing me out. I was typing my reply and went I sent it DD's was there also. I think we need to get Trigger(formally TaveresPD if not mistaken) in here to help us out. Lucky Jim is corrections and can also offer some insight.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot to mention the "Terry Stop". We still have that. In a supreme court case Terry vs Ohio the officer saw a man acting suspicious around a store. He approached and found (I think) burglary tools in the mans possession. Terry claimed the cop had no right to contact him. The court ruled that the cop had a "reasonable articulable suspicion" that a crime was about to happen. This based on the suspect Terry wearing a long coat in warm weather, hanging around casing a closed jewelery store. At least to the best of my memory those are the facts. We still have that to fall back on, it is just harder with racial profiling laws. Profiling in general is taboo now. <br />Examples:<br />A few years back I saw a man driving a lincoln town car. He was not a town car kind of guy by appearance. He would not make eye contact with me, not too unusual. But the kicker, the plates on the car were personalized something like tender heart or something. Did not fit him. After a stop found the car was stolen, he did a home invasion robbery and had credit cards etc with him. He was drunk and had several felony warrants. He argued I had no reason to stop him. With my observations and the "totality of the circumstances" it was a good stop. BTW he was also cruising a residential neighborhood.<br />Another stop, a brand new SUV stopped for speeding. Contact with driver found driver was asain. Talking to him I saw citizenship papers on the seat beside him. In our conversation I also found he lived in LA, two days before had flown to Denver to visit his brother. Same day rented the SUV and drove to Chicago. Denver and Chicago both source cities. Went to Chicago to attend a banquet for the Bulls. Observations...flew to denver and rented a ride to Chicago is not a financial sound move. He had no luggage with him. All he had was a cooler with fish he got in Chicago. He attended a Bulls event and had NO Bulls shirts or pennants or program for the event. Car was not rented in his name, claimed it was a friend of his brothers. Was supposed to be in a hurry, but was traveling the backroads instead of the interstate which is a direct route. This highway was at least 100 miles out of the way. He was only a citizen for 3 months. Search revealed several pounds of meth in the fish. He claimed racial profiling, courts said no it was a good stop.<br />Third example, stopped a car for no plates. Driver said he was driving the car for a friend who just got the car at an auction. The driver had only an ignition key. Driver did not know where the auction was where the car was purchased. Driver could not remember his friends name. The conversation went like this<br />me:who's car is this.<br />Him: a good friend of mine.<br />Me: what's his name.<br />Him: Ummmm Uhhh what was that?<br />Me: what is your good friends name?<br />Him: ummmm I am not sure. I mean I know him, but I can't remember his name. <br />Me: a good friend but you don't know his name?<br />Him: yes, no, well....we call him Bubba.<br />Me: Oh, where does he live?<br />Him: Just down the street here somewhere.<br />Me: You don't know?<br />Him: well, I have never actually been to his house.<br />Me: how do you know where to deliver the car to?<br />Him: Ummm, what did you ask?<br />Me: Where are you taking this car?<br />Him: to a good friend of mine.<br />Me: May I see the papers for the purchase?<br />Him: I don't have them,m the owner has them.<br />Me: Who is the owner?<br />Him: I don't really know, we call him Bubba.<br />Me: Is Bubba about this tall, dark hair, kind of dark complected?<br />Him: Yeah, that's him!<br />Me: when did you meet him?<br />Him: The other night.<br />Me: was that the night it was raining so hard?<br />Him: Yes.<br />Me: So let me get this straight, it was a dark and stormy night, you met a tall dark stranger who became your best friend and you agreed to drive his car for him?<br />Him: Yes! Ummm well, no, well.....Oh man you are good!<br />Me: Is there anything in this vehicle I should be aware of? <br />Him: There shouldn't be.<br />Me: Shouldn't be? <br />Him: well, if there is it isn't mine.<br />Me: may I search this vehicle?<br /><br />results, a few pounds of weed and a few ounces of meth, several thousand in cash.<br />Bottom line, like said earlier if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, smells like a duck, it just could be a duck!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Wearing my fingers out, since I only type with 2. Wife is looking at me funny, but I am enjoying the topic and questions/comments. Keep them coming.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

oooops...Got ya on a technicality now,DD. That's "water foul profiling" if I ever read it! :D <br />Wow! That meth problem is pretty pronounced up there, isn't it? Is that just your area, or statewide?<br />We have drug transport headaches here (I-75,from Miami to Tampa). It has proven to be invincable, but the state and locals keep the pressure on.<br />It comes-into Miami, and is transported in rental cars mostly.<br />P.S., can relate the the tunneling of carpels from the "two-finger treatises" :rolleyes:

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Wouldn't the PC term be Auquatic Animals of Flight?<br />I guess I need sensativity training to better understand their situation so I can better interact and identify with their appearance sounds and smells as well as the manner in which they carry themselves when walking.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

12footer, we do have what I would call a meth epidemic here. Good news is we are not alone. It is the popular drug of choice in the midwest states. I work outside my county with the task force, and am also a state deputy with enforcement powers in the entire state of nebraska for drug offenses. <br />Meth is kind of like crack, but it is cheaper and the high lasts much much longer. Also it is so easy to make. With a trip to Wal mart and a midnight visit to the local fertilizer storage facility, in a few days I can have 18 grams cooked up. I can sell it for around $50 a gram or higher. If I am a skilled shoplifter that is 100% profit. <br />We have a big problem here, but not as bad as others around us have.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Do you carry a gun with you always? Even out of state?<br />If you are driving through another county for some reason (in patrol car) and you see something can you make a stop or is that “out of you jurisdiction” and you are just a citizen in a fancy car? <br />Do any of the anti-radar devices work? <br /> Back to the car thing. If a clean work van and red corvette are both speeding on a highway and you can only get one. Who gets it?<br /> Ever play bumper cars? Did you win?<br />Ever just been plain out “out driven”. Do you ever bother to chase bikes?<br /> Ever been you, your gun and a dangerous suspect in a confrontation? You do not have to answer that one. Some find those times very personal.<br />Like I said I have a thousand questions but I also type like you all so I have to take breaks after a few.<br /> Thanks again.

Skinnywater

Commander

Hmmmm, skinny, why do you ask?
I was curious as to your response to my sincere question.<br />From what I understand, illegal drug related crimes are responsible for how the majority of a law enforcements resources are spent.<br />It goes far beyond simply enforceing drug possesion and eradication.<br />The numerous almost exponential web of secondary crimes are as exausting as as the large cartels and primary distributors.<br />Drug related crimes can range from being completely victim-less to the most severe and heinous.<br /><br />Again, and being sincere in my question.<br /> From what I've been led to believe as fact, vast sums of resources, enforcement, prosecution and "rehabilitation" have been ineffective in controlling this activity.<br /><br />If legalizing the illegal drugs removed the criminal element would there be less crime?<br />Would it be substantial enough to offset the costs of education for the curious? Treatment for the sincere and a cremation for the hopeless? <br /><br />That was my angle guys. And thanks for your couragious reliable service and example.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Screenname, I do carry a gun with me 99% of the time. This is my department policy. We are subject to call 24/7 so are required to carry a gun, pager and identification at all times. I carry one when I go to neighboring counties like shopping trips with my family etc. I always have one in my vehicle and close by. There are a few people out there that really don't like me, and are tweeked out enough on dope that who knows what they are capable of. I don't carry one out of state. The chance of meeting someone I know there is low. I have learned to accessorize with my clothing like woodgrain with black....j/k.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I personally don't think legalizing marijuana would reduce the crime situation by much. Pot is a problem, but meth, crack, drugs like that are the real problems. Most theft crimes are committed to buy drugs, mainly the hardcore stuff. I think law enforcement would be just as busy the day after pot is legalized as they are the day before. My personal belief is that alcohol causes worse problems than pot. There are not any pot bars you drive home stoned and kil families. Most of the time pot smokers get stoned and then lack the motivation to go places. For some reason, drunks all of a sudden have to drive somewhere. Lets not even get into the negative health issues of alcohol, which outweigh pot. Alcohol is also the gateway drug for our youth, contrary to popular belief. Dads beer or whiskey is almost always the first thing kids try, then it goes from there.<br /><br />We cannot accept anything free by anyone. If a store wants to hook us up, we tell them they have to hook everyone up. Too much impropriety. Sometimes citizens want to pay for our officers lunch, and they'll do it real sneaky. We then leave a tip that is the amount of the lunch. There can never be any impression that our officers can and should be "compensated" outside of their salary. On a side note, we start out just a bit over $30,000 a year at the city, and go up from there.