Questions answered here

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Questions answered here

Fresh out of the acedemy while still in training I busted the mayor of our town. He failed to dim and ticked me off driving that big black caddy. I didn't know who it was. He refused to stop, so I got into a persuit. Finally got him stopped, asked my training officer if he knew this a$$h0l3. He said yes, don't you, he signs your paychecks! ooops...didn't matter though, shoulda stopped.<br />Later was assisting an arrest with a city council member for DWI. He was leaving his airport hanger with his girlfriend, instead of his wife. His girlfriend just happened to be the mayors wife. We were under a new chief then and a few officers got fired right after for "other un-related problems". <br />Same time I requested approval from my seargent to make a controlled marijuana buy against the district attorney. Had good intel he was selling weed. Seargent denied my request so I quit.<br />That's as close as I have come to a famous arrest.<br />Oh yeah, also assisted arresting the mayors son after he ran over a man with his truck. It was a racial motivated crime. Tried to say it was an accident, only problem is he backed up and hit him again. Second problem, he finally admitted he was aiming for an american indian man and accidentally hit the white man walking with him. <br />I am really glad I quit that town!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I stopped a neighboring countys sheriff. Whenever the car stopped I knew who it was. He lives just on his side of the county line, I live just inside mine. He stepped out and instantly flipped a badge out. That one thing there pisses me of more than anything. If I ask for a liscense and they hand me it and a badge/ID I'm ok with it, but to just throw the badge pissed me off. I knew I couldn't write him so I just got over it. I warned him of his speed to which he thanked me, and then said I'll slow it down.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I have my own question for the other officers here.<br />Do you ever go out to eat locally anymore? <br />I only will after I check and see who is working. There are many people that don't like me either because I have caught them at something, or just because of what I do. <br />Also even if I go out of town to take my wife out for dinner, I check to make sure there are no local license plates there. People think they have to interupt my meal by talking. An example, a while back we went out for a nice evening, dinner walk in the park, just a special night for the two of us. I saw someone from my hometown in the resteraunt a few tables away. They kept watching me while I waited to order. About the time we got our food, they finished their meal and drinks then came over. Just as I started eating they decided they had to say hi which was great. But then the usual happened and he asked what to do about his neighbor that always parks illegally in their alley. I told him to wait until the car was there and call WHOEVER IS ON DUTY! He continued with idle conversation about his neighbors and things they do that he doesn't like, just general complaints about his neighborhood. Now this man is not a friend of mine, I just know him from the community. By the time he finally left my food was cold and my meal was ruined. Why couldn't he talk during HIS meal? He of course waited until HE was done. And this ALWAYS happens if I don't watch who is there first.<br />Just wondered if this happens to everyone or if it is just me?

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Question:<br />I have a brother in law who was trying for promotion to Sargent for his local PD. My MIL called my wife and asked for my DOB and some other info as I recall. Maybe an SS # too. Wife said that her brother needed this info to give to his PD for consideration for promo to Sargent. BTW, she was told that other family members had to give him this info too.<br /><br />You guys do this in other states or jurisdictions? Is this a common practice and if so, why??

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

It is just a thorough background check on his family. The reason is that as a patrol officer, if he happens to have a close family member that frequently gets into trouble, he may be able to avoid a conflict and avoid getting into a position where he would have to deal with that family member. He would always have a supervisor to refer the case to because of a personal conflict of interest. As seargent he may be the one called to make a decision on a case involving a family member. Also in many areas seargents are priveledged to more sensative information. This requires a higher security clearance so to speek. They may also want to find out any skeletons in his family closet, and ask at an oral review board about these family members just to see how he would react.<br />The findings on records search for family may or may not have an influence on the position.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks DD....no terrible skeletons in my closet....BTW, he did not get the promo. He is a young guy, about 30 or so. Maybe next round.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Additionally, a huge thank You and the other cops here for this thread. IMO, much urban legendary has been dispelled and questions folks really want to ask a cop have been answered.<br /><br />Once a few years ago at a county fair an older officer was walking around with a couple younger cops. My wife, kids and I walk by, stop to say hi. I comment to the older cop,"sure is a neat gun you have..can I see it" purely in fun I swear!!! Well, the seasoned cop eyed me up and realized I was just being smart so to speak. The two young cops were not to pleased to hear me ask that I do believe. Anyhoo, I will never do that again. LOL

Kenneth Brown

Captain

DD- Yes it happens a lot more than most people think. What is the most troublesome for me is the following. I have always been a reserve, never full time. When at the SO I was allowed more gray area work than other officers. I lived in the extreme end of the county so I had a take home car. Yes, as a reserve I had a car that I kept at home. I worked the car about 2 days a week. I almost always would pull the car around by the road when at home. I had a trickle charger that I would hook up thru the grill and leave the parking lamps on. This helped my community greatly. There was very little trouble in my area and hardly any speeders, we only have one major roadway, and I lived on it. I did this for about three years. I then noticed that I was young. I had gotten a go cart for my daughter. I allowed kids to ride go carts/4 wheelers/ motorcycles around as long as they were respectful and stayed off of the main road and parked it at night. I realized that I couldn't ride ours like that even though I allowed them too, me being the "law" and all. I always had to be extremely careful to what I said and who I said it to, I was the "law". I decided that I wasn't gonna be the "law" any more, I was gonna be Kenneth, the guy down the road. I switched my commision to a local town. Three years later I am still getting asked if I am still with the county. These are people that live 1/4 mile away and have already asked 50 times. When I say no they then want to know what I can do about the big trucks speeding through town. They seem pissed at me when I tell them to call the SO, I dont work this area anymore. I tell them nicely and all and they are still pissed. What gives? I still check in on business that are here, although I would do that whether I was a cop or not, just a good neighbor.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I don't mind the people stopping to talk, answering their questions and such but I just wish they would have some respect. <br />A few years ago there was a young child in a diner with mom and dad for supper. A state trooper walked in for supper. In this state they are required by policy to eat in public places when on duty. This tooper was just relaxing during his lunch break, eating in peace. The child in the diner kept staring at him. Finally the boy walked up to the trooper and stood close by staring at the trooper, his uniform and his belt. The trooper finished his meal, got up and left with not so much as a smile at the child. <br />This case I would definately stop and talk with the child. Here is a hero right there, and he doesn't even notice the boy. It is annoying when you try to relax for a meal, but just stopping and talking with the boy for a few minutes would have made his day. That I understand, it is the ones that interupt an obvious special occasion 50 miles from my jurisdiction. And the only reason they stop is they have this urge to say something. They really don't care about the trucks speeding through town at that minute but that is all they can think of for an excuse to talk. <br />Oh well, that's the life of a public servant. At least I have an understanding patient wife.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

We always tried to teach our kids not to be afraid of cops, and that when they were in trouble or lost, they should look for a cop. When they were little, I always got them to wave or say hi to officers in restaraunts or stores when we happened upon them. The cops always waved back, and smiled, and my kids grew up knowing that they should not be afraid of cops.<br /><br />DeputyDawg, thanks for answering a lot of questions on here. I have a couple of aquaintances who are cops, but nobody with whom I am close enough to ask these type of questions. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions that are probably a bit of a beating for someone who lives the life every day.