Questions answered here

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Questions answered here

Shoot the dog and quit going places at dark. :) I agree with the cops actions, just feel like they should have followed through a little better. A little conversation at the last would have helped you understand what they were doing and why.

Carphunter

Commander

Have you ever tried to pick up chicks in your cop car? <br /><br />Have you ever wore your uniform on a date?<br /><br />Do you really keep one bullet in your left front pocket?<br /><br />Was the guy from the "Village People" a real cop?<br /><br />.......I would just like to say, your welcome, in advance, 'cause I saved all the best questions for last. :p

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

88, I am sorry the cop left you feeling like he did. I agree with his actions, but NOT his ATTITUDE. From my point of view in this area at least, I see a man with a young child parked near a lake late at night. I say to myself, self this is odd. I better check and see #1 if the child is OK. #2, if the man is visiting a lady of the evening (where I used to work), #3, is this a drug deal. I would light the vehicle up with spot lights. This gives me an advantage, and until I know who is in the car I want every advantage. I want the lights to hide my approach, and light up where I am going. Also if you watch me in your mirror, I will hit your mirror with my light to blind you. Until I identify who it is and what they are up to. I do not want the doors of the vehicle I approach to open, it opens me to danger. When I stop cars that have broken windows that won't open, I always step back and get close to my gun. Just a habit by now. I have many times had gun drawn and ready. BUT I do everything to hide this from the motorist. 99% of the time everything is as it should be, but my 3 kids want me ready in case. <br />After the officer found you weren't a child molester, john, drug dealer, whatever he should have spoken with you. My thoughts are if he would have said OK, sorry to bother you but I saw you pull in here with a child, it is not a popular area this time of night, and not too many people run dogs here this time of night. He should have assured you he was looking after your daughters safety, and thanked you for your time and cooperation. Then wished you a good evening and left. I may be wrong but I bet that would have given you a whole different opinion of his actions. <br />I firmly believe that once in a while a little explination of what I am doing changes the whole situation. Besides, he works for you the least he could do is talk to you!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Good ones Carp Hunter<br />Been married 15 years, don't know how to pick up checks anymore. Have had many chances to though. The uniform is a chick magnet.<br />My uniform is polyester, so I wear it as little as possible. Have met my wife for lunch dates before while in uniform, so I guess yes.<br />My bullett was replaced a few years ago. I was promoted to a full magazine. Now I carry an envelope in my left front pocket. In this is a letter my wife wrote me years ago when I became a cop, pictures of my wife and kids, and a picture my kids drew for me. Have carried this for 9 years now. <br />And a roll of rolaids.<br />The village people cop was probably not real, but he was hot in uniform! Some nights I have a hard time not signing YMCA! <br />Just kidding! Thanks for the laugh though.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

OK DD.<br />I have been following this thread and learning a lot.<br /><br />What is the signifigance of the bullet in the left pocket? I can understand the pictures and the letter and such, but don't understand the bullet(s).<br /><br />If there are multiple people speeding, i.e. flow of traffic is at about 85-90 in a 65, do you pull any or all of them over? <br />If you pull one of them over, how did you select?<br /><br />Is it true that red cars are always faster?<br />Is it true that Inconspicuous Racing Yellow will make you blend into the crowd better? :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Oh one more.<br /><br />If I post more than once in a single thread, will it "pad" my post count? :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

f_inscreenname

Commander

Ever change a tire for a old lady on the side of the road?<br />Has your badge ever got you out of anything? ie like a traffic ticket, etc. I know my buddy's city ID (in the city) is a free pass short of a felony.<br />Do you ever give to the Policeman's Ball when they call for money?<br />If you had OBL in a car pulled over would he make it back to the station? <br /> Why do cops have cell phones and seem to be on them a lot? <br /> How often do you go to the range. Any good? Have to ask. Just read a story a month or so ago about a suspect that was cornered in a in front of a building. A standoff ensued till the suspect pointed the gun at the officers. The officers fired 47 shots hitting the suspect 2 times killing him. Either he could move like Michael Jackson or they haven't had enough range time.<br /> Ever had to arrest a friend/family member? <br />Would you give your wife a ticket for doing say 50 in a 25? I bet I know this one.<br />Would you tell on a bad cop? <br /> Thanks again

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

The bullett in the pocket. Barney Phife (Don Knotts) on Andy Griffith show years ago used to do this. Sheriff Andy would only allow him one bullet, but he could not carry a loaded gun. Andy didn't carry a gun most of the time, but Barney wanted to.<br />I would try to catch up to the lead car speeding. This would set an example for the rest of them. If there are only 2 cars I would try to tag both, but the leader would be the prime target because he is settiung the pace.<br />I don't know about the red cars. Used to be that more red cars were involved in traffic accidents, but it used to be true that younger people and risk takers drove the flashy cars like red. Now it really doesn't matter in my opinion.<br />Yes, I have changed several tires on the side of the road. I helped two old women once with car trouble, ended up arranging a rental car for them and giving them a ride to get the car. Turns out it was a judges mother and wife. The judge later sent me a very expensive bottle of whiskey in return. I tried to send it back, but he wouldn't accept it. So I did the only thing left for me and drank it.<br />The last few traffic tickets I have had, I hide my badge. One trooper said if he had recognized me right off he would have given me a warning, but already had it written before he asked me where we had met before. He asked why I didn't identify myself first, I said because I deserve the ticket. He released me but then sent me the ticket saying he never turned it in. I will not identify myself until after the stop is over. <br />I never give to the policemens ball. Policemen don't have balls, firemen do. Actually I get asked every year or so from the american deputy sheriff's to donate. I don't do it because I am too poor. Also that money doesn't come back to this state. I volunteer time to the Nebraska Sheriff's Association thoughg.<br />OBL would definately make it back to the station. The reason for this is some bleeding heart mope would see me dispose of him and tell on me. I suppose there would be a few civil rights advocates that would take offense. I would do everything I could though to get a little stick tim in on him.<br />Back at the office we would have to get the pink bunny suite ou though. Anyone that doesn't know this story ask and I will tell.<br />We have cell phones because they are cool. Mine has a pager for my office to contact me. I use mine for informants to call, and scanner hounds follow us enough. Digital phones are used for the long messages. You miss too many details with radio traffic. Also the 911 center will transfer victims or reporting parties to me directly so I have a good idea what I am getting into before I arrive.<br />I don't get to the range often enough. A few times a year is about all. We don't have budget for extra ammo. We have to qualify in nebraska 1 time a year for the department and once for the warrant entry swat team. The team I have to shoot a 90% out of 50 shots, and a 90% out of 30 rifle shots. I shoot a pretty consistant 96 to 98%. Rifle I have never shot under a 100%.<br />I have arrested friends and family both. Cousins for DWI several occasions. Friends for DWI, assault, disturbing the peace, and bad check warrants. All have been pretty understanding of my position and have appologized for putting me in that situation. Except for one cousin, he is still whining about it. <br />I would and have told administration on a bad cop. Only after I have done what I could to handle the situation first. It was for steeling from suspects, steeling from inmates property boxes and one for lying on a search warrant application and lying on a case report.<br />The two things that can never ever be forgiven in a cop.<br />Oh and my wife, I would never write her a ticket. I have to live with her, and I would be the one paying the fine. Also I am the one pays the insurance, so I just as well write one to myself. Plus she never speeds. It is so annoying riding with her! Speed limit all the way.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Carpy- No chicks, although we do use it to herd cows.<br />Just to lunch with the wife.<br />Thats all they let me have, gotta keep it in a safe place.<br />NO!!!!!!!!<br /><br /><br />AK- I stopped a one in a group running about 90. When He asked why did only stop him I asked him if he fished. He repiled that he did. I asked did he ever just catch one or two and no more. He said sure, it happens all the time. I asked did he think that is all there was. He just laughed and said no, there had to be lots more than that. I told him thats my point.<br /><br /><br />Screenname- Yes, and young ones also. We as a policy help anybody in need. A deputy got fired for passing a car broke down and not stopping to see if he could help.<br />Yes. Well not actually my badge. I got stopped for speeding by a State trooper- 73 in a 70. My Police ID stays in my wallet. He seen it while I was getting my liscense out. He gave me a good arse chewing and let me off. 3 miles over he should have, shouldn't have stopped me.<br />As DD said, everybody knows policeman don't have balls. (yes, we've all heard the joke)<br />OBL- Judge Dredd comes to mind, I doubt he would make it.<br />Cell phones help communicate when we shouldn't use radio traffic for confidiality reasons.<br />I go to the range twice a year. I do quite a bit more shooting, just not structered shooting. That being said, I still feel like I can't shoot very well.<br />Arrested a former coworker once. Dude was 33 and sleeping with a 15 yo. She snitched him off because he told her she wasn't the first and wouldn't be the last. he was arrested very quickly because her daddy was looking for him. Its a good thing we got him first.<br />I ain't about to write my wife, or my mom a ticket. Keep the badge, I'd quit first.<br />There is a difference between snitching and the right thing. I have never snitched, but 2 ladies did lose there job because I told it.

a_bullfrog_a

Seaman

is it against the law to spray windshield washer<br />fluid out when ur being tailgated by a turd.<br />It seems to work real nice when driving into the <br />sunset on way home from work. (7 year, 80 mile commute warrior in NY suburbia)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Never thought of the windshield fluid. Would be legal as long as it was completely accidental that it sprayed high. I don't know of any Nebraska laws that would prohibit this either.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My highs school truck had the nozzles pointed out to the side. It was all fun and games till somebody put brake fluid in it.

Carphunter

Commander

I'm just kiddin with you guys. :D <br /><br /> You guys sure have my respect. I'm glad there are people out there like you all that do the job you do to try to help keep everyone safe.<br /><br />Hats off to ya fella's. :)

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Thanks guys.<br />DD, I guess I forgot about that part of the show.<br /><br />KB, that is too funny. I would have been laughing while you gave me a ticket also.<br /><br />Your profession does have my respect. You put yourself in harm's way to protect all of us.<br /><br />AK Chappy

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Can I give the one fingered wave to the state trooper that cut me off today while getting on the freeway entrance ramp. Had to hit my brakes to avoid him. Not even a wave to say sorry. I thought about giving him a one fingered wave, but not sure if I could be pulled over for that. He then proceeded to tailgate everyone in the pack. If your on a call, turn your lights on, otherwise drive like the rest of us.<br /><br />And about 88 spl experience, I dont think the officer should have stopped him. The officer should have observed him while appearing to do paperwork. Not everybody is a criminal. With a simple observation, he would have seen everything was fine, and would not have intruded into a private citizen's good times.<br /><br />I often worry about the USA turing into a police state where every little thing you do wrong will get you a fine. Just not the way we are intended to live.<br /><br />Sorry if this offends you guys.<br /><br />Ken

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Here we can't do anything about getting the old #1 sign. It usually causes more traffic problems if we run lights to a call. Everyone slams on the rakes and watches us instead of the road. But being on a call, we would still have to obey certain rules of the road. Tailgating and cutting off traffic is not acceptable.<br />In 88spl case, I agree the officer could sit back and see what happens. BUT what happens if it is a child molester, how could I as an officer live with myself if I wait for an assault to happen? By that time the most traumatic experience a child could have has happened, and there is no way to reverse that. Also if he is up to no good, like an assault or worse, he pulls in to do the deed, see's the patrol car and acts innocent, then leaves with the victim. I have not only allowed him to do whatever, I have done nothing. I don't know the area he lives in but here is someone pulls into the park after 8 they are usually up to something. <br />I understand your point of view, and don't like intruding into peoples lives, but I also have to live with my decision. My position is not to be popular, it is to protect. 99% of the time peoples actions are innocent good fun. But that 1% is when people get hurt. <br />About 2 years ago at the local mall a man pulled up to a young girl walking into the mall. He came driving fast and slammed on the brakes near her. Everyone thought he was just having fun messing around. He grabbed her, she yelled. All of the witnesses just looked and walked away because they thought it was a couple of kids messing around. It wasn't until she pulled away, he grabbed her and punched her in the face twice that anyone thought different. They found her alive in Montanna over a week later. Because nobody wanted to interfere until they knew for certain his intentions, she had to endure a week of repeated sexual assaults and beatings. It was citizens not officers, but they were all less than 30 yards away. She was able to use speed dial on her cell phone and dial her parents, that was the only way they knew who she was the victim. One witness followed them for a few blocks thinking he had witnessed a domestic assault, but stopped when the suspect shot at him. <br />If the witnesses hadn't waited to see what would happen, they might have been able to stop this. Probably not, but how will anyone know for sure. I respect your opinion, and agree to a certain degree, but from my point of view I would rather go in, check it out, then leave. BUT I would definately be friendly about it. Even simply saying have a good night as he left would have been better than just walking away. We can check on peoples activity without really interferring or disrupting their fun.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

He probably wouldn't have pulled you over for the wave. You can bet though he would have stopped you for something else. Texas state troopers are some of the toughest hombres around. I don't know what they give them in Austin but they come out that way. I ain't saying they can't be nice, its just not there style. I have met probably 50 troopers in my career. About 5 of them were nice. About 40 were not nice but not mean either. The other 5 were something else. I won't say what they were but you can imagine.

SoulWinner

Commander

Two questions,<br /><br />1. I have noticed that cops always have the trucks of their cruisers loaded to capacity with all kinds of crap. What is all that stuff, and do yall really need to carry that much stuff??<br /><br />2. When I was a young hell raiser, I was constantly screwed with by every cop in town. Do departments inform all their police officers of trouble makers, so that all the cops focus their attention on them? It seemed like evey cop in town knew my name and was looking to bust me. (I didn't make it too hard for them)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

SW-<br />1- Yes and no. Your cruiser is your office. You never know what you may need so you carry all of it. My car is fairly empty. I keep paperwork, batteries, extra flashlight, fingerprint kit, stuffed animals for kiddos,fire ext. and a few other items in there. When I was at the Sheriffs office I carried an almost empty roll of barbwire, fence pliers, and some tie wire. Its the owners responsibilty to fix a fence. At 3 am when a car goes through said fence and 50 cows are trying to get out I have to do something. Made the job alot easier having the supplies.<br />2- Yes and no again. I was a hell raiser too. Every damn cop in town knew me. They would walk up to the car and call me by name before they even asked for ID. Word gets around quick. Yes, we share stories. The two 17 YO's that I mentor are in the same boat. They wonder why the cops are always messing with them. I point out that there dad and both older brothers have an extensive criminal history. I then add that they both have already gotten several tickets, have been cited for smoking AND drinking, and they cut the mufflers off of evrything they drive. And they wonder why the cops notice them? It doesn't sound like I am doing a very good job mentoring them but you would be suprised how much it has helped them.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I drive a Durango. I carry all the paperwork I need in 2 clipboards and a citation book. On top of this I carry road cones for traffic direction at accidents, finger print kit, full investigation kit (tackle box) with evidence collection etc., digital camera, extra flashlight, first aid kit, road spikes, blanket, night vision scope, thermal image camera, binoculars, tool box with basics wrnches screwdrivers etc, slim jim set, entry vest and tactical gear for warrant service team, rifle, shotgun, extra ammo, drug testing kits, poreliminary breath test instrument, laptop computer, and a box of junk including stuffed animals for kids rain coat and other junk just to name a little. <br />Our office is sometimes 40 miles away and takes too long to run after equipment. We usually work one man per shift so we need everything with us at all times. <br />We do talk about who is the trouble makers, but we just don't have time to watch any one particular person. We cover 8 towns and 5,000 square miles. Once in a while if someone is repeatdly being stupid we get after them hard until we get them stopped or they grow up. Usually we don't have a lot of trouble so we don't need to watch anyone in particular. We just do not have time to target any one person or group of people.