Questions answered here

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Questions answered here

One other question, if I get pulled over for speeding and the officer for what ever reason wants to search my car, can I just say no, and then does the officer HAVE to let me leave? Or can he detain me for some stupid reason. A guy in a bar once said he refused a search and they wouldnt let him leave for about 2 hours. They never searched his car. He had a small bag of pot.<br /><br />In high crime areas, why dont they just park a cop car on every other corner? How bout a police station in a trailer?<br /><br />Some call it profiling, I call it using your brain.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

On a traffic stop, if an officer asks you if you have a weapon in the car, and I do (a loaded gun under the seat) should I say no, or should I tell the truth.<br /><br />Would a misdemeanor non violent non drug related offence I commited 15 years ago come up on the screen when you run my record.<br /><br />Would the fingerprints they took of me 15 years ago still be on file somewhere, or did they most likey get destroyed?<br /><br />Is there somewhere I can found out this info? It was in Texas.<br /><br />Ken

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

oops hit wrong button.<br />I cannot mnake a stop out of my jurisdiction unless I am requested by that agency first. If I see something I will call that county and advise. They may ask me to stop and detain the person, but usually not.<br />RADAR detectors do work. Don't waste money on all the cool things like instant on whatever that is. Just get the usual K, KA, and X band. They work best if you have a vehicle ahead of you. I don't activate my transmission on my RADAR until I am ready to clock a vehicle. By the time you get the signal that I have activated, I already have you clocked and locked. If in traffic they work well, in fact have saved me a lot of money. Alone on the highway, they don't always work. RADAR jammers do work but are illegal in most states. It is very easy to tell if a driver has one of these. They used to sell a bra that is supposed to make you invisible to RADAR, doesn't work. Aluminum foil in the hubcaps, don't work. The larger the vehicle the easier to clock due to reflective surfaces. <br /><br />The corvette and the van, probably the van would get it because I can't catch the corvette in my Durango. Again depends on the situation. I would still try to get both.<br />Bumper cars isn't as fun now with air bags., have to be very careful. The PIT is always a fun time, and works like a dream even when the suspect expects it. We now carry spike strips in all our vehicles, so with these and Motorola we don't have to pit or ram too often. I have been outpowered but never outdriven. Have had many times when the suspect is driving so bad or dangerous that I will terminate. I am the one liable if they crash. I will chase bikes, but usually only for a few minutes until they are out of sight. I can call ahead and get the next county to come shut down the road pretty quick. <br />Yes, I have been face to face looking down a gun barrel a few times. The first was a 13 year old with a large knife. I still wake up at night in a sweat with that one. Didn't have to shoot but was real close. Had the slack drawn up.<br />Have been me, another officer and a suspect in a face to face with guns drawn. The suspect had just killed an officer in a city about 50 miles away. He turned the gun on himself and took his own life. <br />Been on scene when an officer did shoot and kill a suspect. I know for sure I can pull the trigger if I have to, but hope to never have to. <br /><br />Skinnywater, I was just joking around with you. Yes the secondary effects of illegal drug use eat away at the resources. The thing I don't like is the idea that we can't beat them then lets let it all go. Maybe that is just a pride thing. It reminds me of what schools are doing now. If the students are low in reading, they make the reading tests easier instead of teaching better.<br />Years back we were making defined progress. In the mid 90's the federal government gave so much money to fight drug use, gave military resources, and so on. We were definately making progress. But then they decided to re-direct the money to rehabilitation. Good idea but a few years too early. Needed to finish the street war first. <br />I have seen in my years as drug investigator until now a trend all relating to money. After a few short years this money was all gone. It was a political ploy to get attention at the time. Then the family advocacy groups said they needed more money, which I won't argue with. But the money they needed was to study weather removing children from homes was better or if leaving them in abusive unfit homes and educating the families was better. Drug enforcement was quietly channeled to the department of social services and family relations groups. BUT they put the tag on it saying that drug use causes domestic violence, so they could still brag that the money was going to drug enforcement, OR family violence. Secret nobody knew was it was all the same money.<br />Now all money is going from drug enforcement to homeland security, which I agree with. BUT afgter 9/11 I saw a bunch of ads declaring that drug sales finance terrorists. That is NOT new news. We were taught that in a DEA class I took back in 1995. Especially the synthetic drugs like XTC and GHB, and some of the opiates as well as some of the marijuana. This is not new news but was never talked about before. By announcing this information again they can use drug enforcemnt money to channel to homeland security. <br />What is really needed is for the laws to get tougher. Back when I started this we could get no-knock search warrants simply to preserve evidence. Some court judge decided this was a violation of the turds rights, and decided that unless the suspect is a direct and immediate threat to officers we have to knock and announce who we are and what we are there for. Now 95% of all drug warrants end up with a toilet flush before the door opens. <br />It is another double edge sword. Yes property crimes go up. I always know when a load of meth has been cooked or brought in because we will investigate a rash of burglaries. For some reason meth heads like antiques. We lose a lot of antiques, within two days my informantys will tell me of large shipments of meth that hit the streets. A few days after the assaults and violent crimes start up. Then when the supply dries up, things get very very quiet until the next round.<br />Some of the things done to help that are effective are drug courts and other programs. These are extremely intense probation periods marked by daily drug testing, meetings, job studies. all kind of restrictions. Here the money for this comes directly from the defendants pocket, reducing the amount of money needed by the correctional system. Even though 85% of those in drug court don't make it, it is a good program. States are doing work camps/boot camps too. These make money to support themselves and still offer punishment. <br />I think legalizing drug use would eventually solve a lot of the problem. I also think that it would be a hard 10 years or so before it came around. If they do legalize drug use they should make everyone who buys it register, then take them off of state aid. The medical bills associated with meth should not be paid by us. I have even seen people sell their foodstamps for alcohol, sell their kids riddelin for alcohol. Thesame will happen with drugs just like it does now. I think over time it would work out but it would take several years to settle in.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ever use (or heard of othrs use) the excuse that a driver 'crossed the median' in order to stop them?<br /><br />I live out in the country. Years ago I was working from home at a laptop computer for about 10 straight hours. I was done after dark and took my dog to drive to my mail box (about 3/4 mile to the main road). I was tired and stiff and decided to keep going just for some air and to get out of the house. Drove down our country roads for several miles and then turned around in a church parking lot to head back home. <br /><br />Noticed several SUVs following me, and after a mile or so they flashed blue lights for me to stop. I pulled over, put on interior light, etc. They told me that they had pulled me over because I had crossed over the median and asked if they could search the truck. I told them no problem, that I lived in the area, was concerned about crime, and asked if there was a problem with break-ins or vandalism. They said no, they had been having problems with people selling drugs in the area (shocked the heck out of me, this is out in the country, 20 miles from nearest small city, 3 or 4 miles from a 'town' that consists of a flashing light, two gas stations, a diner, and a one room post office.)<br /><br />Bottom line was no problem, I put my dog on a leash, got out, they ruffled around the cab a bit, and I drove home. <br /><br />I realize that from their perspective the fact that I was driving below the speed limit on a country road at night, turned around in an empty church parking lot, and went back the same direction I came from might have seemed suspicious.<br /><br />On the other hand, I doubt I crossed the line and suspect they used it as an excuse to pull me over. Are you aware of this technique being used much? And if I didn't want them to search the truck on principle, what would you suggest the best response to be? I suspect I might have been given a ticket if I had refused to let them do the search. Plus I didn't have my drivers license with me since I had originally planned on just going to the mail box. <br /><br />They were polite throughout. I showed them my mail indicating where I lived nearby, which probably made them comfortable about my not having my license with me, but this was after I let them search the truck, too.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I have thought about the drug thing, and I think a good compromise is , make it illegal to be an addict. Drug possesion, selling, etc, etc all legal.<br /><br />This would allow you to concentrate on those people that cause trouble, and let those that can handle the drugs have their fun.<br /><br />Ken

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Screenname-Yes I always carry a gun IN THE CAR. I don't walk around with one unless on duty or in the woods.<br />I have statewide jurisdiction except for traffic. If I see a felony then yes I will act to stop it.<br />I don't know of any effective anti rader devices.<br />This time I would stop the van. The corvette is much better suited to handle the load that is imposed on it.<br />No on the bumper cars. Have had 3 try to outrun me, two were succesful, till a few days later :) <br /><br /><br />Ken- Yes and no. If he has reason to search then he can, against your wishes and without consent. If he doesn't have legal reason then no, you should be free to go.<br />Yes, it still shows up. Even the stuff you did when you were 15 will show up, regardless of what the courts will say. There are several different checks, some more intense than others. Yes, your fingerprints are still around.<br />On the gun- Judgement call. If I knew that I was breaking the law and I wasn't carrying money fromsay my businees to the bank I might have to be quiet about it. At the same time I say that I have arrested 3 for gun issues. None of them told me about the gun. I have let 3-4 go without citation for the gun because they did tell me. You gotta go with your gut there bud.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Do you believe in following the intent of the law, or the letter of the law?<br /><br />If I slow to less than 10 mph for a stop sign, and clearly see there is no traffic, then go on thru, would you pull me over, or let it go.<br /><br />I belive the intent of the stop sign is to make an intersection safe. If I made it through the intersection safely, I see no harm.<br /><br />Ken

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Kenimpzoom, yes it is your right to say no to a search of your vehicle. Your vehicle is your personal property and carries the same expectation of privacy as your homw. You can deny the right to search. BUT the officer can then, if he has reasonable suspicion, detain you waiting for a dog. If you then agree to a search the officer should not conduct the search. We can not cooerce someone into a search. If the reason for denying the search is because they don't have time to wait, we can explain it won't take long, but a definate no we have to either get a dog or let you go. So far to date the supreme court has not established how long we can wait for a dog. They have ruled on several cases what IS reasonable time to wait, but not what is NOT reasonable. I think they have said in one remote area that 1 1/2 hours is not un-reasonable wait since that is how long it took to get a dog to the area. Now if probable cause exists we don't need a warrant like we would a house. if an officer sees something he or she can immediately identify in plain view from outside of the car as an item of contraband, such as a pot pipe or a can of beer for a minor, then a search can be conducted without consent. This is due to a vehicle being easily moved or concealed. Recent case law also says we can not request a search while the subject is in custody unless we have probable cause or have made an arrest from the vehicle. In short if I want to search a vehicle I have to first let the suspect know they are free to leave. So it usually goes like this. "Here is your license, registration and insurance card back and you are free to leave by the way do you have anything in this vehicle that I should be aware of? Any illegal drugs weapons alcohol or other contraband?" Let them know they are free to leave but don't allow time to process that information. Otherwise we are supposedly giving the impression that we will detain them until they give consent, and we also run into Miranda territory. <br />It would be great to park a car on every corner, but manpower is too limited. We could pull our officers (assuming we had multiple officers) from their beats and target high crime areas, but then low crime areas would suffewr and soon would become high crime areas. We do target patrol our problem areas. Visibility is the best deterant we can find for criminal acts.<br /><br />Loaded weapon is the hard one. Is it legal in your state to carry concealed? What are the cops views on gun possession? If it is legal to carry one under the seat, definately tell them. They will have you get out of the vehicle, and will probably secure the weapon until after the stop for their own safety. If it is illegal to carry concealed, as you are stopped take it out and place it on the dash out of reach. If not, keep quiet about it. if you tell them, that gives probable cause for a search, your gun will be taken and you will be arrested for CCW. So, if it is illegal to carry concealed, your local cops don't like guns, then keep quiet. if they start for a search of the vehicle, then tell them just so there are no accidents or surprises. <br />Around here people always lay their guns on the dash when stopped. I see the gun, and know it is there. If I am nervous about the person I will get them out of the car, away from the gun. I won't do anything about the gun, it is in plain view and legal. <br />The Misdemeaner would still be on your record most likely. depends on the state and the offense. Your finger prints will still be on file. The prints themselves will be destroyed, but they will be assigned a henry Finger Print classification, a series of numbers and letters. These numbers and letters will be on file with your name. Any time a person is booked into jail and printed, the FBI gets the prints and starts a file on this person. Even if printed for certain government jobs, your prints will remain on file as a number classification. <br />I wish I could tell you how to check your record in texas. Maybe some of the TX boys here can help with that.<br />Lake, I have often wondered about the cases where someone crossed the center line. I would never do this, and would recommend firing the first officer on my department that stopped someone for this if they did not do it. That is lying and can not be tolerated. BUT I suspect some of our local troopers do this on the interstate when they see a profiled drug runner. BUT then how close do you come to this. If a wheel touches the left side of the center line, is this crossing the line? Here a big one uised to be driving on the shoulder. The troopers stopped a lot of cars for this and found a lot of dope. Finally a judge looked at a tape and found that the vehicle only crossed the white line with 2 wheels. He decided this was not driving on the shoulder as per statutory intent. It was simply crossing the white line, which is not illegal. Now crossing the center line, there is no ddefined law about how far over the line the vehicle needs to be to be considered a violation. This added with a video camera will not generaly pick up a vehicle slightly over the line. The 2 dimensional image makes it hard to see where the vehicle is compared to the center line, at night. If you watch it fast forward it will show, buit try to get a defense attorney to allow that! <br />It is possible being tired that you drifted, but it is also possible that the cops were stretching and making up probable cause. <br />I have often suspected officers of making up probable cause such as crossing the center, failing to signal, etc. I would like to think this never happens but am sure it does. Any cop that does this would be smart not to tell anyone he does this, it is lying and if taken to court would be purjury. That one lie would end his entire carreer.<br />I am sorry you had this experience, but am also glad you left it with a good feeling about the officers. It sounds like, with several officers there, they had something going on. I know at least two drug dealers here that used to go onto county roads in the middle of nowhere to make their deals. This makes it hard to catch them, but we did.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Ken<br />The letter of the law and the intent of the law is a case by case deal. If you roll the stop sign, the road is clear for miles in both directions, maybe a ticket is not in order. BUT I have picked up bodies where someone rolled a stop sign. If they had stopped, they would have taken that extra instant and saw the approaching vehicle. Highways were designed with a 1.75 second reaction time. This applies to passing zones, stop signs, speed limits etc. The average sobor driver has from perception to reaction an average of 1.75 seconds. The main reason for enforcement of this stop sign would be so I keep myself treating everyone equal. If I turn my head at this, then where do I draw the line? What if your neighbor sees me look the other way, then tomorow he rolls a stop sign at 30mph. I cite him, he says but yesterday I saw you ignore one of the same. What is my response to that? That is a hard decision. examples are the easiest way to show how I myself treat things. One case a local woman I know has had a hard run of luck. Lives alone, no money, out of work. I know she hadn't eaten in 2 days from what her son told me. I saw her driving her car which the plates had expired. She took plates off an old car to get by. Illegal as can be. I saw her in the store and asked if she was going to get her car licensed. I told her that I know she is having hard times, so I will ignore the plates for a little while because "I know she will license it as soona s she can". I then watched her drive away. Not right, but a fine at that time would have killed her. She couldn't pay and would end up in jail to sit out the fine. Some laws have good intent, but the human side has to take over sometimes. <br />In short I with most officers try to follow the letter of the law to be fair to everyone. BUT there is a gray area in there that sometimes is good to stand on.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I believe in the spirit of the law. A stop sign does say stop. If they didn't intend for you to stop it would say yeild. Stop-go (very abrupt stop and then accelarate) is one thing, and rolling is another. A stop-go is ok if no one else around. A roll through is hard for me to accept. I have looked the other way many times. I live in a rural area in which a lot of people are poor. A fine would hit them hard. One thing I do not tolerate is children out of seat belts. I stopped an older man who had a 2 year old standing up in the front seat. He knew it was wrong. Whenever I walked up to the car he was trying to buckle the kid in. I knew he was gonna have a hard time paying the ticket but he still got one for it. Now out of kindness he got a warning for his ins being expired and for his seat belt not being buckled. I don't agree with the seat belt law ( I have one ticket in 11 years- no seat belt) but kids can't make that choice.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

As I have said in the past, I don't work traffic very often anymore. I am in administration, but my training and experience I am still the county criminal investigator. The past 4 years for some reason we have been cursed with a rash of sexual assaults on children. Because of my training in this area, and knowledge of the internet I have drawn the short straw. I get to work all of these cases as well as the drug cases. I still remember my days as a narcotics officer where I used to work, and as wild and dangerous as that assignment is really miss it. Narcotics is one of those details that after a long term in you start seeing things way different. The gray areas get grayer, the black and white blends a little. <br />This kind of goes to the questions about having a bad attitude on the job. We have to detatch ourselves from what we are assigned to. If not all of the victim children I have seen the past 4 years would kill me. They are just peices of evidence to be processed through the system. The doped out parents dragging their kids to crack house after another become too real. We do the job and leave it. The only true way to do this is to adopt a superior attitude, and refuse to care too much.<br />But as I started, when I do work traffic patrol, the ONLY things I will never give a warning for is DWI and child restraints. There is no excuse for either.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I agree with the child restraints. I just want to slap a parent when the kid is sitting on their lap.<br /><br />I dont agree with the seat belt law either, but I always wear my seat belt.<br /><br />I also agree with the DWI. If someone is driving bad enough that you pull them over for it, or someone reports it, they should be thrown in the slammer. I have seen several idiots on the road that had no business there.<br /><br />Ken

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

DD,<br /><br />The officers definately had something going on, three unmarked cars (SUVs) out in the middle of nowhere, after dark, on a weeknight (actually, they told me it was a drug related mission). And I'm sure I was suspicious (profiled) in that I was cruising relatively slowly, turned around in an empty rural parking lot (prolly a good potential meeting spot), and then went back the same direction I came from.<br /><br />Like I said, it wasn't a problem, living nearby I was glad to cooperate if there were problems in the area. Was just curious as to what would have happened had I said "no" to the search.<br /><br />99% of the time I'd have no problem cooperating, but would hate to have something freakish turn up that I was unaware of. Say if I let some guests (like my nephews) drive my truck and unbeknownst to me they spilled some buds between the seats. Don't think it would be very likely, (don't even know that they smoke), but would feel pretty foolish about giving the ok to search after the fact if it did.<br /><br />Anyways, interesting thread, thanks for the time.

f_inscreenname

Commander

First let me say I have nothing against cops. For that matter you guys seem pretty cool. But as for some of them.... (like the folks who come up with for reasons for pulling people over). I have had that type of experience. I was pulled over for tail gating a marked Maryland state trooper. Now who dose that???? The worst part was he then checked the box for the $250.00 fine on the ticket. That is something else I do not agree with. IMHO there should be set fines for traffic offensives. I understand you can give a break to someone who looks like he needs it but also you can go buck wild if you are pissed off. I went to court (any ticket goes to court) and come to find out two others were there for the same reason. One was a 60 year old lady that happened to be a Pediatric brain surgeon for John Hopkins. Hummmm So I guess my question is, have you ever been tail gated on a 3 lane highway with maybe 4 cars in a mile? Also instead of a sobriety check point why don't you just sit outside of bar and wait for people to drive off. It is easy to tell which people to pull over.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

In Nebraska we have set fines for each offense that is able to be paid by waiver. If the fine amount varies, such as willful reckless driving carries a minimum fine of this and a maximum of that, we send it to court and let the judge decide based on facts. Other than that we have set amounts. Speeding 1 to 5 over, $10, 6 to 10 over $25, 11 to 15, $75, 16 to 20 $125, 16+ over is $200.<br />I can however drop the speed you were traveling by 5 to hit the next lower bracket. <br />Usually if tailgaited I do what everyone else should do, I slow down or pull off and let them by. I watch and if they tailgate another vehicle I will stop and take care of it. Unless it is an obvious attempt to provoke me, then I oblige their request. This does happen sometimes.<br />The sobriety check points, we don't do that in this county. We do road safety checks, lights etc. But during the afternoon. Sitting outside of bars, I know a few cops that do that. They get a bad name for it too. It is not really fair, plus how can I watch someone get in a car just to stop themn for being in the car? A jury would tear us apart for that too.

f_inscreenname

Commander

You have really had someone tailgate you and you just let them by. WOW! Also the drivers in Nebraska must have big coconuts to tailgate a marked trooper.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I guess it would depend on everyones definition of tailgating. If they are right on my bumper, I would write them for sure. If they are just within my comfort zone, I would let some go. <br />I have only stopped one for following too close. I only warned them. They were following a truck towing a boat. They did not see the outdrive sticking out, and were an inch or so from the prop. No excuse, they were still too close to the boat, but they were scared enough when they saw the drive sticking out there. Oh yeah, she wasn't too bright either.<br />I am surprised at this thread! I am also surprised at the genuine curiosity and sincerity of the questions....and only one doghnut question!

Skinnywater

Commander

deputydawg wrote in part; <br /><br />
I always know when a load of meth has been cooked or brought in because we will investigate a rash of burglaries. For some reason meth heads like antiques. We lose a lot of antiques, within two days my informantys will tell me of large shipments of meth that hit the streets. A few days after the assaults and violent crimes start up. Then when the supply dries up, things get very very quiet until the next round.
Thanks deputydawg for your response.

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been harassed twice 1st time I took my daughter to the lake, (boat ramp) to let our lab swim. It was dark about 9:30 pm. We had just pulled up and a cop pulled up behind me and blocked me in. He had his flood light on the back window, and he got out and walked up to my side. My window was messed up and I told him I could not let it down. He backed up and put his had on his weapon, flash light in my face, and Magan (lab) barking and growling. My daughter was frightened and asked what we should do, I told her to sit still. I opened my door and told him again my window was messed up.<br />He asked me what we were doing here; I told him we were letting the dog swim. He said at this time of the night….duh, because no one was around. He then told me it is very dangerous to be there at night, and asked where I was from, I told him. He got back into his car and left, didn’t say a word. My daughter said to me, that she thought that was very rude, I agreed with her and said he was just doing his job. I’m sure she will always remember it. 2nd new year’s day 2005 different cop. Went to let the dog run at the ball park, not a mile from my house, dark about 7 ish, cop pulls up and shines his flood light on my truck, gets out and asks what I’m doing, I tell him letting the dog run, Magan growling in the back seat, he asked for my drivers license, and jots it down with pen on his hand, gives me back license, says nothing and walks back to his car. Cop then drives off, doesn’t say a word to me. Is it me? Or should I shoot my dog?