Questions answered here

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Questions answered here

I only have one question for the Officers.. (ok, 3 questions)...<br /><br />Do Cops really hang out at doughnut shops, and if so, who has the best doughnuts?..... :p <br /><br />Whats yer favorite flavor doughnut?.... :D

bubbakat

Captain

Sure we hang out at the doughnut shops. :p <br />Chrispy cream has the best doughnuts<br />Cream filled. :D

ob

Admiral

Thanks for the info gentlemen.I'll pass it on to my friend.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I got to thinking about my awnser above. I don't advocate driving drunk, just telling you what I would do if I was found in that situation. I do have an alternative plan, the same one that I give to my younger, drinks way too much, brother. If he is at a bar or club and goes to leave and sees a cop don't leave. Go back inside and call a taxi or somebody to come get him. If no one will he should politely call the cops over and tell them you are too drunk to drive. Many times they will take you home. If they don't then they can't leave you there as you are a hazard to yourself. They will end up taking you to jail under disorderly conduct/public intox. Going to jail on a public intox is only a $500 fine (at the most, class C misdemeanor) and no jail time other than the night you will spend there here in Texas. Your car will probably still be at the bar in the morning, you won't have a real record, and no lawyer fees/huge fines. That is definetly better way to go than the DWI.<br /><br /><br />The RIGHT thing is don't drink excessively if you don't have a driver but this is the real world, and sometimes things do happen.

Homerr

Commander

First off...<br /><br />Thanks to all you officers for doing a great job!<br />You don't get near the respect you should these days.<br /><br />One of many questions (I can't remember all of them)... I'll ad as I remember...<br /><br />As an officer, what is your position on the citizen carrying a (legal) concealed weapon?<br /><br />I've asked a few local officers this, and I've received mixed results. Some like the idea of the citizen being able to protect themselves, whereas other officers are outright against it.<br /><br />I'm in Oregon, and we are able to carry concealed after attending a few classes. (Although I think the classes should be more extensive... It's a bit too easy to get a CCH permit...imo)<br /><br />Your thoughts?<br /><br /><br />H.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Here is a couple. <br />Is there areas that you all know the cops are hard a$$es and wont work there? Like the next county over, around here the civilians all say that the cops in that county are a little over the top. My county, cool as can be. <br /> When you put the badge on dose the attitude come with it? I have installed flooring in many cops houses. You would never know they were cops. Is it because they are in front of there family? <br /> Have you ever pulled over someone for going to slow in the passing lane?<br /> If you are called to a domestic issue do you immediately take the women's side and arrest the man because the woman "said" he did something wrong?<br /> Do shorter cops have more attitude? <br />If a beater car and a nice classic are both speeding and you can only pull over one do you pull over the beater car or the classic? Why? <br />Do you like doing speed traps? <br />What reason make you write a warning instead of a ticket?<br />Would you rather bust a pot head or a crack head? <br />Ever drive home after a couple beers? <br />Are cops kids the worst kids in the neighborhood?<br />If someone comes in your house in the middle of the night do you shoot first and ask questions later? Like a DC cop told me “I would rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6”. In Maryland you basically have to cower in your closet and they have to come and attempt to attack you before you can justify shooting a intruder. Myself, I think I will take my chances with the 12. <br />Man, I could do this all night.

D

DJ

I have been really surprised by this thread.<br /><br />It seems that most are interesred in how to beat the system rather than live within it. Most think of law enforcement people as a pain the "A$$". That is telling. <br /><br />Yep, there are some bad ones and good ones. The way I see it, if you can't/won't do it, don't criticize!<br /><br />No wonder law enforcement has such a tough job.<br /><br />IMHO, law enforcemnt personnel are: underpaid, overworked and under appreciated.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Homerr- I am all for citizens carrying guns. The criminals have forever, its about time decent honest people should be able to also.<br /><br /><br />Screenname- There is an area about 50 miles away that is that way. I couldn't work there, too many hardarses for me.<br />Yes, an attitude does come with it. You do have to be a different person. You have to be able to take charge in any situation. The tough part is being able to let that go when you take the badge off.<br />Never stopped a slow car before.<br />No on the DD. I listen to both sides and do my best to make the right call. <br />I'm 5'8" in the land of 6' men, no short man complex from me.<br />I would pull over the classic. The beater car people most likely cannot afford the ticket. <br />I don't like true speed traps but I do park inconspicuosly if working traffic.<br />Courtesy and respect will help you get a warning rather than a ticket.<br />Crackhead, much worse on society, and I feel like mary jane should be legal, its all natural.<br />Yep, Drank two today and drove home. Will do it again if the urge hits. Do I ever drive drunk? Yes I have, and I am sure I will again. I do try to limit my intake to no more than 3 if I am leaving within a couple of hours. DWI is too damn expensive.<br />I hope not. My oldest (9) is an angel. Her little sister might be a different story.<br />Thats the great part about living in Texas. If someone is in your YARD at night you are legal entitled to shoot them dead. Now in my house-Bye Bye bad guy.<br />12 is always better than 6.<br /><br /><br />I have a feeling this post is gonna keep me busy, maybe this is the poof saver. :)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

DJ- Thanks. I can live with the underpaid (as I said before I do it for free)and overworked. Its the under appreciated that makes the job hard.

D

DJ

KB,<br /><br />Hat's off, from this citizen..<br /><br />Be careful, out there.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Good questions everyone, hope we help with answers. And it took a lot longer than I thought it would but yes, I love doghnuts! We don't have any doghnut shops here, just the gas station excuses for doghnuts. Krispy Kream would have to be #1 though. The reason I think other than the typical stereotype is doghnut shops/coffee shops are usually open late and open early in the mornings. They are usually quiet places to take a break. It never fails when I try to pull over to eat lunch or take a break in my car something comes by, the coffee shop is about the only place I would be left alone for 10 minutes or so. At least where I used to work it was. Here I just hide in my office.<br />The refusal of a test, check your laws before refusing. In Nebraska the implied consent law states that everyone signing their license gives consent to be tested any time an officer asks. You are notified of this when you get your license. Refusal of a test carries the exact same penalty as DWI. By refusing, if you give enough indication of being drunk, you will be charged with both DWI and refusal. The DWI will be dismissed for lack of evidence, but the refusal will stick. That is a gimme conviction, and as I said carries the exact same as a DWI penalty. It hurts your insurance just as bad too. So In Nebraska it is better to take the test. Kind of gets you in a corner the way it is written. <br />On all my field sobriety tests I demonstrate each and every test and ask the driver if they ccan do the test. If for a legitimate reason they say they can't, I will never ask them to. The tests are very simple moves directed at dividing a subjects attention between 2 tasks such as stand on one foot and count. Most sober people can do that, but a drunk has a hard time with the two tasks at once. Then I look at two or more problems with the test. If they fail I demonstrate it again and ask them to do it again in case they just don't understand. I also do at least 3 tests. Failure of one is not a sign of being drunk. They must fail at least 2 of the 3 tests. I have also made it clear to all of the bartenders and most of our chronic drunks that if all else fails call me. I will give rides home no questions asked. I will also pick the drunk up a block from the bar if needed so his friends don't laugh at him! I do this about once a month on the average. As long as one person doesn't take advantage I am happy to do it.<br />I don't have a problem with concealed weapons. I figure if someone wants to shoot me, it won't be from that gun under his shirt, it will be the one in his hand when I approach the vehicle in the dark on a deserted highway.<br />The cop attitude is a double edge sword some of the time. We carry that attitude, at least I carry an attitude when on the job to protect myself. If I go into a situation or traffic stop whatever with an easy going attitude I set myself up. If I go in commanding control of the scene, then I discourage trouble before it starts. A lot of cops need to be able to evaluate the situatiuon as they go though. If I stop a vehicle I am on edge, at the top of my game so to speek. But then I find inside the vehicle is a family out for an evening, then I bring it down to a friendly level. In most cases though, fights...domestics...drug busts that sort of thing, we need to take charge and establish ourselves from the start. It is kind of like when you put dogs together, they have to show dominance. I have to calm it down in front of my family or else I would eat myself up and die early. I don't necessarily like acting like the bada$$, and can get relaxed when at home. I am lucky to work in a small community, I know everyone. Most of our calls are repeat visits, same people same problems. They all know my breaking point and will not push me. I get along good, and since I know them know what they are going through for the most part. But they respect me and know how far to push me. Now the tourists at the lake are different. They are away from home being stupid. I have no tolerance for most of them and show it when I contact them. I have to establish that I won't put up with any BS right from the start. Sometimes it makes me look like a butthead and causes more problems, but most of the time it establishes the pecking order from the start. Unfortunately there are a lot of cops, I personally know many, who think the uniform demands respect and will push people around to get respect. I don't like these offcicers. They are the ones that always get into fights and are hated by all. They give the rest of us a bad name. When I train a new officer I give them a speech. I tell them from the start to take charge but be friendly. Be professional at all times, but let loose and act like a human at the same time. If you have to fight, you win. Never back up from anyone for anything, you will never be able to go forward again. If you do need to fight, try to reason your way out. If this isn't possible, do what you have to do. If you kick someones butt, be nice about it, offer him help as soon as it is over. Only do what is necessary to subdue the person, then stop and be friendly. I also tell them to remember that they are never ever wrong. Even if we are wrong about something, we are still right. Never ever appoligize for anything. Even if we are wrong, but we can make no mistakes so we are not wrong. Appologizing says that we messed up and opens us up to all kinds of problems. Appologize for the situation or for what happened, but never for what we did. But if we are wrong don't be too proud to back down and give a little. Above all let the suspect keep his dignity, that may be all he has left in the world. Even if we kick his butt, let him lose with pride. This is an impossible task, but in time they learn how to do it.<br />Some shorter cops and female cops do have more attitude I think. They have to to make up for size. It's all about stayin alive in this game.<br />The beeter car or the classic nice car....depends on the offense. if they are both traveling at the same speed, I do what I usually do. I get ahead of the one in the rear, pull the first one over, step out and flag the second one over as well. If this is not possible, I try to get the easiest one to catch. That is a hard one. I like picking on the so called rich or high class people. I about lost my first position when I had a persuit with the mayor in his caddy. But then the beater might be a doper or a drunk. I have to say I usually take them both or take the easiest one to catch up to.<br />I am not sure what would define a speed trap. I park in places I can not be seen and run RADAR, but never just inside a change in speed zones. My idea of a speed trap is parking on the slow side of a speed reduction sign and getting those who aren't down to speed. I will never do that, it is unfair. I also tell my men to treat people the way you want to be treated. I would hate a cop doing that to me, so I never do that. I will hide, but only on the open highway. <br />Tickets and warnings are all up to the officer. We can do whatever we want, including reduce the speed amount to drop the fines. Some departments may have guidlines about when to write. I generaly go up to 10mph over gets a warning, all else gets a ticket. But I have my days when I am nice and everyone gets warned. I check my database and see if the driver has had a warning recently. Bottom line I follow is if I think a warning will get the driver to slow down, they get a warning. If I think they will ignore the warning, a ticket they will get. Mostly I make my decision based on the offense, and have the decision made before I stop them. This keeps me from writing tickets based on attitude. Sometimes the person who is acting like a a$$ will calm down with a warning. Mostly it is the level of offense. My job is to gain voluntary compliance with the law. WHatever it takes to do this, I will do.<br />I would much rather bust a pot head. They are usually so calm and mellow. I remember when I started bustin into a house with a warrant, aiming my gun at a pothead burnout and yelling at him to get on the floor. He looked at me and said hey man, what's going on? A few months ago I busted into a meth addicts house gun drawn with 12 other cops and yelled at this man to get on the floor. he looked right into my eyes and said make me. It took 4 of us to make him. We don't have a lot of crack here, mostly crystal meth. I do not drink out of my home. Whenever I do the rumors start. A few years ago I went to the bar for supper with my family. I drank Mountain Dew from the can during supper. I ssaw one man I arrested for DWI, he tried to start a fight. I ate, left and went home. Next day the sheriff got a phone call that I was under the table drunk, and drove home. The drunk that wanted to fight was not the one that made the call. Another time I went out and had 1 beer, I didn't even finish. Same thing! So I don't go to the bar. I won't even go out to eat unless I am far away from here. Everyone wants to stop and ask questions about a ticket, or a neighbors dog barking, or a car parked illegally on their street, something. They always wait until THEY are done with their meal then come over. If I am at a friends house, I will drive home after about 2 beers. Above that I won't drive. I only drink about a 6 pack a year at best, so I am a cheap drunk and know my limit. <br />HEHE, cops kids.....Mine are too young to tell.<br />Two of my friends lcoally have teenagers and are cops. Ones kids are terrors and will tell you to your face who they are. The other will never do anything because dad will kick their butt. Just depends on the kids. <br />Whew, my fingers hurt now. Hope all was answered. Keep them coming though, glad to offer answers.

D

DJ

Deputy,<br /><br /><br />
If you kick someones butt, be nice about it, offer him help as soon as it is over.
Unfortunately the sound bite and TV sensiontalism no longer allow for this, IMHO.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Darn DD, that was a lot of typing. It appears to be you are instilling a good pattern for your men to follow, good for you. I will add that when I do drink its not around the people I serve. I like to go to my farm and have a beer after a day of fence building/shredding/etc. I usually drink about a 6 pack a month, a little more in the summer. DJ- It is possible, its hard, but it is possible. During the butt kicking its all out war, I am after all shorter than most. As soon as its over though the professional side has to come back out. You have to remember the you are supposed to be the good guy and not take the cheap shots while he is down. Just help him up and put him in the car.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

One of the things I found, and it hit me hard, is a fight in this job is different than a typical street or bar fight. It hit me that this was a fight to the finish, not just to see who is the baddest of the bunch. <br />I call them my men, they really are not. I am the field training officer, and immediate supervisor, but they are still co workers. We work right beside each other, if any one of them ever called me sir there would definately be a butt kickin going on. They all show me respect, I hope, not because of rank but because I have been there so to speek. The city I used to work in gave me baptism by fire into this job. I was only there a little over a year but worked murder, rape, armed robbery, you name it. On a Sunday morning in that town once I was on patrol early shift. Met a family on the way to church, never seen them before. Almost the entire family extended their middle finger from the car window at me. I should have been offended, but at the time for some reason I found it so funny I laughed for an hour! <br />In a fight with a badge on, it is so tempting to get a little extra stick time on some of the turds, but that just can't happen. Have to be in full control at all times. I am proud to work with the men and women I do. I would walk into anything with any one of them beside me. <br />I just remembered a "good cop story" I must share!<br />I was training a new deputy a few years ago. Was just about to turn him loose on his own. I was a little worried about him, the badge went to his head. He now works for a different department, but he did turn into a great officer. We got called to a domestic. Upon arrival we found this mans son outside covered in blood. His father hit him and broke his nose. We get into the house to talk with dad. He is sitting on the couch drunk and in a bad mood. The deputy has no luck at all talking to him, so I take over. He admits to fighting with the boy, then asks to go to the bathroom. I didn't want him to leave the room until we got the full story, and did not want to give him the option to get a weapon, so I instruct him to hold it. He again says he has to go to the bathroom, after he admits to punching the kid several times in the face. I tell him that he is under arrest, and I will pat him down for weapons, then the deputy will have to go to the bathroom with him. He stands up and calls me a few names. The deputy gets on one side of his and I get on the other as we try to calm him down a little. He shoves me, takes a swing and heads for the door. I grab his arm and take him to the floor yelling at him to get down on the floor. I am so used to working alone, I never thought of the deputy in the fight with me. He had grabbed his other arm and also took him to the floor resulting in the man falling on the floor with both arms held behind him. He did a face plant, and I heard the air leave him. I also heard another noise that kind of worried me. Then I smelled the noise and really got worried. By this time we were de-esculating the situation. The deputy was handcuffing him, I was holding him. I looked at the deputy who apparently noticed the smell too. The suspect calmly said "well boys, I don't have to use the bathroom any more". I said OK sir, Deputy rookie will get you into the bathroom so you can clean up before we go to jail. Off they went. I yelled in to the man asking if he needed a clean pair of pants, he said yes and told me where to find them. I then asked if he needed clean shorts, he said he don't wear underwear. He didn't, and was too drunk to do a good job cleaning. The 30 miles back to the office was a very long ride! When it was over the deputy learned a new lesson. We clean our own cars around here. <br />I also teach it's not how you fight, it's how you write the reports!

NathanY

Commander

What happens if I refuse to sign a ticket?<br /><br />Why do I so often see cops turning on lights just to go through a red light, then turn them off once through it.<br /><br />Why are MOST cops, especially younger ones, so arrogant?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Great story, DD, and lots of good answers to a ot of questions.<br />You missed one part of the addiction to doughnuts tho...I werked graveyard shift (literally "moonlighting") at a convienience store for a couple years back in the early 90's.<br />The local patrols would stop at the store for BB,coffee and donuts. We had goood donuts and fresh coffee. But the big reason they liked to come and hang out at our store was because they all the coffeee and donuts they wanted for free.<br />They liked "free", and we liked the added securuty. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm. The only arrogant officer I ever dealt with was a young female (probably early 20s) Texas State Trooper. She reminded me of a High School bully.<br /><br />The hundreds of other officers have all been very professional and courteous.<br /><br />My thanks to all law enforcers. A tough job usually well done.<br /><br />BTW, I thought it was "Krispy Kreme".

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thanks guys for all the answers.<br /><br />DJ, the DWI laws were written for the idiots that cause the problems.<br /><br />In my younger years I drove home numerous times after consuming numerous alcoholic beverages and always made it home fine. No swerving, no speeding, no running red lights, no head on collisions.<br /><br />I guarantee that I would have failed a breath test on numerous occasions.<br /><br />For some people 0.08 BAL is way too much. For other people 0.20 is just getting warmed up and they are fine.<br /><br />I also think the "straight line test" is flawed, as many people under extreme pressure could not pass it stone cold sober.<br /><br />There needs to be a better test that actually tests a drivers abilities.<br /><br />Nowdays, I dont drink heavily and drive.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

How in the heck do you guys control yourself from beating the heck out of the idiots in this world?<br /><br />I could never be a cop.<br /><br />I also understand that cops are humans too. It is wrong, but I dont blame them for beating the crap out of idiots. The only police brutaility that was not desrved was the cop pulling a woman out of her car after she was pulled over. Apparently she didnt pull over fast enough, so they cop went ballistic.<br /><br />Ken