Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just thinking that if while retrieving the post may get stuck under the edge of the cap ... While fuggly may be bobbing up and down depending on the weather or other boat wakes .. Just stinking ....:watermelon:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
This I actually how the original ones were set up, IDK might be smarter to make them taller....but they are on there. I guess I can add on to them if they don't work.

GA a friend's granddaughter couldn't get the boat off the trailer once....."um did you remove the tie downs....." Apparently boats float trailers nicely lol!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The boat will never get any closer to the posts than they are now. the bunks will stop fuggley from going any lower so they should work. just make sure they are well padded. it would be better if the posts were hitting the rub rail rather than the side of the hull though.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I think the angled guide bunks I put on the inside of the sponsons should center here on the trailer. That will keep them an inch or two away from the guides when she is on the trailer. Shouldn't be any issues with them rubbing on her going down the road. The post will have carpet covered 2x4s on them, which I was thinking about radiusing. sort of half circle.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
So I moved Fuggly back to the hangar tonight. She is one bay over from the paint booth. I also drug in all gazillion concrete blocks to use a cribbing. I wanted to get her off the trailer tonight, but my cleaning lady comes tomorrow....so I have to pick up my mess....really I am neat :D

Tomorrow I should get her off the trailer and back to the other shop for final welding and paint prep. My friend David came over today, he is the one with the Skater. We talked about tiedown points. He agreed with me on some up front, and had a suggestion on moving the ones in the rear. I'll try to post a few pics to illustrate. The weather is going to get nasty this weekend, so I will be hooked up trying to get everything in place to work in the trailer.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I started working on getting Fuggly off her chariot tonight. I have the back up off of the trailer, but have a couple blocks between the bunks and the trailer for safety.

I jacked up the front enough to slide the 6x6 as far back as I can. I did that by jacking up one side then moving to the other. Everything worked fine, but I don't like how it unevenly loads the back cribbing. I really don't like the single wide block cribbing in the back, but it is stable. I just don't like taking any risk doing something like this.

I was at northern tool today picking up the heater for the hangar, and I noticed they have 3 ton floor jacks on sale. I think I am going to pick up another one, similar to the one I have. That will allow me to slowly jack up both sides at the same time. I also need a couple more blocks for cribbing.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Those bottom few cinder blocks on the port side should really be turned so the holes in them are all facing up and down. They're not as strong against compression forces with the holes in them facing out to the sides. Starboard side block stack looks good.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Maybe just add an extra set of blocks on the outside flat part of the hull ... Ease the trailer out a bit then add them ... It's always an un easy feeling when your doing stuff like this ... All you can do is take your time and go slow ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Gomo you are absolutely correct on the block configuration. (CMU, Sam's eyes are rolling. They are technically Concrete Masonry Units.....ok back to our normal programing lol!) I had them oriented vertically but the floor has a lump and they were more stable rotated 90 degrees. I'm ok with that given they are only supporting a couple hundred pounds. Its really surprising how light this hull is given the size. I can't wait to see how she performs.....since I have never had her on the water, hope I like her, lol! I would for sure keep them vertical if she was fully rigged.

I'm thinking something along those lines. Slow and easy for sure, this is not a thing to hurry! The trick is going to be the front cribbing. I will have to pull the trailer up to where the guide post almost meet the 6x6, then shore up right behind the trailer, pull out the 6x6 then slide out the trailer. I need to get it done tomorrow night so that I can wash the galvanized steel with vinegar Friday and get it inside for the weekend. Friday night things are going to get cold and wet. The OU / Wood's team game is Saturday, should be a good one in some nasty weather!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
get another 6x6 and use 2 on it one in back one in front with blocking on each side then you can just drive it out and know that 6x6 easily holds a small block chevy so that boat shell isn't going to stress it .

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's probably fine as is since you don't have any extra weight back there with the drive components not installed. I was just throwing that out there just in case. I've had a few fail on me like that (sideways), but that was probably more because they were already partially compromised prior to me using them.

I went to a Building Methods and Materials class when I was working on a degree for Drafting Technology a few years ago. I was taught about those being called CMU's in that class, but It's hard to correct a lifetime of always hearing them called "Cinder Blocks", so half the time I don't even try.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
In my trade I don't call them CMU or cinder blocks ...
I call em someone else's problem ..LOL !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've heard them called concrete blocks and cinder blocks. But cinder clocks seemed more prevalent up north more so then here in Georgia. So now here is three names for them and I am sure even some we can't type on these threads. Carry and move some around for a while and I am sure new names will crop up. :eek:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I work in construction every day and I never hear them referred to as cmu 's as much as I would like to they are still cinderblocks or blocks lol kinda like its duck tape and its side cutter,s kliens for electricians lol, and dykes for the ones that are just small pointed cutters .. go figure. in swimming pools shotkrete usually means concrete with rocks however gunite" a patented trade name" is referred to when its a dry mix of sand and cement at the nozzle its mixed with water , but they both fall under shotkrete technically one is dry other is wet method .

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Cinder actually refers to one type of expanded light weight aggregate used in some types of CMU.....Moving on to something more interesting.

I got her blocked up tonight. I wanted to get the trailer out, but it was a good stopping point considering the time. Tomorrow afternoon I guess I will get the trailer out.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
man every time I look at this boat I like it more:) its just the subtle things they did like countersinking the eye