Restoration Forum " Splash Of The Year " !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
To all forum members old and new ! :)
It has been discussed a many times on the forum about having an award for the best Splash of the Year ...
So finally with the help of jbcurt00 , Woodonglass , and snowman246 we hope this award will be given out each year from here on out !
It is intended to honor the hard work and dedication of the member who receives the award for a job well done !!
Here are some of the rules and guide lines of the award process:

1: Restoration, rebuild, redo, rehab, re-worked or home built project must have been well documented @ iboats forums. With good reference text and pix posts.
All hull types and materials are eligible: Fiberglass, aluminum, wood, plastic, steel, composite and etc. As are all tyles of power: gas, diesel, wind, solar, electric and etc. OBs, I/Os or straight inboard.
2; Nominated member must have been active prior to the nominations starting (end of Nov) AND be willing to commit to being active after winning PLUS agree to return and help manage next year?s SOTY process including paying for the next year's winner plates and plaque shipping.

3: It will NOT be an iboats sponsored award.

4: Members MUST have 5posts to vote in the SOTY poll. The Mod/admin team can and will look into voting irregularities, and has had to in the past.

5: This is not a popularity contest. It is stipulated that if you had a good buddy help on a resto, encourage him to join (the Iboats community) and vote. But not every random person (who you likely don't even know) who reads your posts on Facebook should be joining solely to vote. It will further be stipulated that ballot box stuffing, as deemed by the Mod team and iboats admins, will be dealt with. This includes removal of a nominated boat from consideration plus possible banning of the nominated member for unsportsmanlike conduct not in the spirit of the award.

6: This a nomination, voting and award by members: fellow peers here at iboats, that have followed a resto, probably assisted at some point along the way and want to recognize your hard work and dedication to completing your resto. Again, not a popularity contest open to voting for everyone that works where you do, the dominoes, square dancing or hockey group you're a member of or open to your Facebook, Twitter or other social media "friends ".

7: No 'self' nominated boats, boats must be nominated by another member.

8: Again, as noted above, this is NOT an iboats sponsored award or poll, and there should be no expectations otherwise.

9: SOTY winners may be contacted by iboats admin or corporate staff to possibly be featured in a newsletter at some future date. This is not a endorsement (paid or otherwise) of the boat or owner by iboats.* It should be a badge of pride to have been nominated, and is a great honor to be voted the (6th annual) " Starmada Splash of the Year 2016 winner " Or the first ever " Restoration Forum Splash Of The Year winner ".

10. The nomination, win and plaque are the ONLY recognition or award. There is no award or prize of any kind from iboats.

We hope everyone will join in and make this a great event to end each year with !!!

Now get to work on your restorations and get em SPLASHED !!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thanks Sam

This is a similar, but seperate, to the Starcraft forum's SOTY and will follow a similar format:

Please post your nominations in this thread and paste a link to the owner’s rebuild thread. Please don’t include pictures in this nominations thread. I will contact each of the nominees by Private Message to confirm that they wish to be entered in the award contest. I will add their info by updating this top-of-the-page post. Nominations up to a maximum of 10 will be accepted until midnight EST Jan 5, 2017.

After January 5 2017, a new voting thread will be created that will show all nominees and a link to their rebuild thread for your review. As in past years, I expect that 1 or 2 pictures of each entry will be included in the voting thread, usually a before and after shot. You will be permitted one vote for your favorite Restoration forum project boat that was splashed in 2016. Voting will end at midnight EST January 15, 2017.

Members can vote in both polls, Starcraft owner or not, but Starcraft boats can only compete in 1 SOTY, either here or in the SC forum.

Good luck to all the nominees

SC forum SOTY:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...rd-nominations

I encourage all members to look thru all the nominated boats in both SOTY catagories.

Pusher

Lieutenant
What if the best splash of the year happens to also be a starcraft? ;-)

Might be a cool touch to have each year's sticky start with a running list of prior year's winners and a link to their thread with them holding the plaque in acceptance.... Probably easier said then done though!!!

Cool idea guys.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Well, as this is the 1st year for the Resto Forum, so who knows

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Neat idea! What about full ground up scratch builds though? No dice?

And I want to nominate Fuggly, so get yer rear in gear Arch. :D

Pusher

Lieutenant
I know that the builders aren't supposed to nominate their own builds but I honestly don't know which projects have splashed. All the guys I'm following are still in progress.

Maybe I just need to spend more time on here :)

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wasn't trying to nominate mine for myself, just trying to see if I was even allowed in the running if it was nominated by someone else. The rules posted above have no mention of scratch builds like mine, so that's why I asked. If not I still have the 14' Rambler waiting it's turn to get restored, so it's all good either way. That one won't be getting started on until after the Laker is finished though.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I wasn't trying to nominate mine for myself, just trying to see if I was even allowed in the running if it was nominated by someone else. The rules posted above have no mention of scratch builds like mine, so that's why I asked. If not I still have the 14' Rambler waiting it's turn to get restored, so it's all good either way. That one won't be getting started on until after the Laker is finished though.

Sorry, didn't mean to infer you were. I was actually hoping for clarification too.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's all good Pusher, I didn't take it that way. I just wanted to be more clear so I didn't sound like that might be the case. Just more clarification on my part as well is all my last post was for.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Build it (or rebuild it) and splash it, and its eligible.

This year has more by built from scratch projects running then most years. A nominated home built would be great. Not sure 1 will splash this year, but looks like there are at least 3 possibles for SOTY 2017.

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I hate to heap on more work but how about a list of splashed boats so that we can peruse and decide? Maybe add "Splashed" to their thread title? I have a ton of subscriptions and only know of one or two that have been Splashed this year. Two which I'd like to nominate are Starcrafts. Not sure if they will be accepted since they have their own award. One of the two will surely take the SSOTY. Both are examples of great crafstmanship.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I hate to heap on more work but how about a list of splashed boats so that we can peruse and decide? Maybe add "Splashed" to their thread title? I have a ton of subscriptions and only know of one or two that have been Splashed this year. Two which I'd like to nominate are Starcrafts. Not sure if they will be accepted since they have their own award. One of the two will surely take the SSOTY. Both are examples of great crafstmanship.

More work, more work. LOL

We now have a stickie on top of the Resto forum to list the splashes. Thanks, Pat.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just do it!
I'm behind hard work and tenacity to even get a boat to float from some of the conditions I've seen pass thru IBoats window.
The support and wisdom are inmeasurable from everyone so the final products are the result. It's an even playing field.
Great idea guys.
Throw in a T Shirt.
KC

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Are we limited to only one nomination?
Actually, isn't the stickie for listing splashes essentially the same as a nomination? I suggest skipping the nomination requirement and simply voting for the SOTY from the Resto forum stickie.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are we limited to only one nomination?
Actually, isn't the stickie for listing splashes essentially the same as a nomination? I suggest skipping the nomination requirement and simply voting for the SOTY from the Resto forum stickie.

We don't have any restrictions on nominating. The participants have to agree to the guidelines in the first post above or the splash will not be included in the final list.

Two different things. At the start of the new year, a new splash thread will be started to collect splashes through the year. In the Starcraft section a splash thread has been running all year so when SOTY nomination time rolls around, splashes can be easily found. Also a splash may not be nominated or the builder may not want to participate in SOTY.

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
I appreciate the clarification about the scratch builds also being within the rules. I'm sure the other guys working on scratch builds will be glad to hear that as well. I know of at least two more scratch builds beside mine (both PM-38's) for a total of at least three currently ongoing ground up builds. Are there others still?

I'm hoping to get my scratch build splashed this coming summer, so mine wouldn't be eligible for the running in 2016 even if nominated. Mine wouldn't be ready until 2017 at the earliest. Like I said above, I'm not trying to be presumptuous about anything with the questions and comments. I'm just trying to get a little more clarification about the rules, for myself and anyone else that might read this thread later.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
once a boat is splashed where do we put it or how do we change the post .name ? also will there be required proof of said splash:)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Pix of the splash posted (hopefully IN the build topic) will be sufficient proof of splash.

If anyone splashes a project and wants their topic title changed to include Splashed , just PM any Moderator and we can edit the title.

Post a pix in the Splashes topic sticky and a link to your project topic, and ask a Moderator to add it to the list in the 1st post.

Status
Not open for further replies.