Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

jaggededge

Cadet
Ok... not to seem impatient... but I am jones'n for an update. I am a neighboring Okie who was blown away by the Miss Morgan build, and I really like the look of this boat. That hull just has a captivating form. I am still searching for my first restoration, but can't seem to keep people from driving into the Solar Arrays we are building long enough to get some time off. Looking forward to following this thread to completion.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Jaggededge. I just haven't had anytime the last week or two. I'm having to spend a lot of time at work wrapping things up for the end of the year. Should get some time on the boat pretty soon.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I was out in the shop today working on a Christmas gift. I pulled the dash sections in from outside yesterday before the cold front came through. (68 yesterday 5 tonight) The dash pieces extend down once they get next to the front seats and provide a mounting area for the throttle on the drivers side. From there they extend back. Orginally this created a "tray" along the sides, which is sort of a junk catcher. It does work for oars or maybe small rods, but in my experience, usually junk.

You can see it heading aft in this pic from my mockup. Once it gets towards the back it curves up and attaches to the inside of gunnel. I had it in my head to shorten it to accommodate the longer rear deck and back seat. But the more I think about it, I think I may just cut it off at the front seats and forgo the not really useful side storage. Any thoughts? I don't fish a lot and I have a collapsible paddle for Miss Morgan, which fits under the seat. The paddle requirement seems a little ridicules anyhow. It would be like rowing the queen marry lol!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It might be a good place to stash towels or something ... Maybe integrate some cup holders where they are under the gunnel cap ...
Or get get rid of it either way would be good ...

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I kind of like the finished look of them. Maybe you can just extend them up to the gunnel all the way from cockpit to stern. Maybe put hatches in them and you have some useful storage. Maybe a good spot for some speakers. I think it's much nicer than seeing the side of the boat from inside

Last edited:

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My Chap has cup holders in the side storage pockets, but you're right, they are mainly junk collectors, or trash cans if you're my kids. I have to say, the side pockets were a great place to put programmable LED lighting strips. Makes for a cool effect at night.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the thoughts guys, I haven't decided one way or another....Right now what I am thinking if I get rid of them I can do whatever. Maybe nothing or something that ties into the new seats. I think the biggest struggle I am having with it is the texture. The lower part has this "1979 crown Victoria fake leather dash grain" on it. So if I cut it down and splice it, I have to cover it......I have thought about carpet or vinyl.....and trim out the edges......just seems like a lot of brain damage for something that isn't that useful. Pat I will be rolling the carpet up under the gunnels so, you will have a finished surface... but breaking up the side would be nice. Hmmm maybe if I built something and had it covered like a long arm rest with drink cups? IDK, just brainstorming! I do want cup holders....

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I like the side trays you could even put some led lighting inside them to make a nice lighting choice, and they look perfect for wine bottles for the missus for the occasion when one wants to ply the bride with alcohol :) like right before you tell her about the next project :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I almost forgot the cup holders on the trailer Pat, glad you brought that up! I'm still on the fence Micky, but I have all day to ponder it. I need to finish up a woodworking project (gift) today, but I am having a hard time talking myself into walking out to the shop. Its 10 and it has only warmed up to 8 degrees......I hate winter!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow sorry about the cold arch ! Could be worse you could be down here sweating in our 80+ deg weather we have today ...
I think I may go change into some shorts ... :bolt:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This was at 8:20 this morning

Warmed up to about -7 now. Every year when it gets down there like that, I ask my self "why am I here and not somewhere where "cold" is 50?" I never have a good answer.... :cold::smow:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah I mean yesterday I put 6 hrs in on the water it was sooo damn hot I had to turn on the fans on my helm to circulate some air :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Karma has struck !
While enjoying the temps we had a late afternoon shower ... The god awful sand knats came out of the ground and were all over me .. In my hair down the neck up my nose and everywhere else those flying piranha could get too ... So I guess what comes around goes around ... :cold:

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
lolololol - u americans are sooo funny, too hot, too cold, too tropical so theres too many bugs, man south australia is just so perfect! no snow or ice, no bitey sandy critters (sure theres snakes spiders and too many kiwis, but no crocks or stingy jellies), oh yeah theres a few great white sharks that eat outboards for breakfast, but nothing really to complain about!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
lolololol - u americans are sooo funny, too hot, too cold, too tropical so theres too many bugs, man south australia is just so perfect! no snow or ice, no bitey sandy critters (sure theres snakes spiders and too many kiwis, but no crocks or stingy jellies), oh yeah theres a few great white sharks that eat outboards for breakfast, but nothing really to complain about!

Well, great whites have to eat too. :pound: