Post a pic of your starcraft!

Jdudemann

Cadet
Re: Post a pic of your starcraft!

bought it last summer. hoping to do a little rebuilding and modification. runs and floats good though.

Jdude

Attachments

• 100_4680 (640x480).jpg
    100_4680 (640x480).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 3

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class

What in the world do you Easterners need with so many rod holders no body eats that many fish. I don't think.LOL
Well I catch my fish to eat and eat all winter long. LOL We are allowed two rods per man and usually take 4-6 men also different rigging takes different postions.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Jude Water discharge looks like a bilge pump outlet could be one in the bow?? Makes sense to me as thats where a lot of water collects .
Well new to Star craft boats! But was looking for something for Erie and couldn't be more than a 19foot so I could keep in a garage. So I found on in Michigan and want to know if I gave to much and what kind of waves I can survive in LOL.
2012-01-06_14-57-29_96.jpg

whats the function of that lower water hole?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

[Tape will work on tne seats for a while and there are some decent covers fror them on I-boats or Overton QUOTE=Jdudemann;3604572]bought it last summer. hoping to do a little rebuilding and modification. runs and floats good though.

Jdude[/QUOTE]

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome SC in Corpus!
Nice to see you made it over to the tin section!
Nice boat, are those recent pics? Hows the water levels holding up for you in Tx?

mrgintz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bought this for $250 yesterday...1960 Jupiter 16 ft
DSC05127.jpg

The pics are from October/November. The water levels are holding up fine because all we do is saltwater fishing in the Bay and Intercoastal. Stil havent learned alot about catching fish, but were having fun doing it. I am trying to rearrange the interior to allow some more seats.... fun stuff..

Rob

120_i/o

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same pics posted elsewhere, but thought what the heck. My 300 dollar find last fall out by lake Du bay.
boat1.jpg
boat2.jpg
boat3.jpg
boat4.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I have the same pics posted elsewhere, but thought what the heck. My 300 dollar find last fall out by lake Du bay.

How does she run? Even though its an OMC, if shes a runner you will get 300.00 of fun outta her on your first outing

This is my 1975 16' Starcraft American bowrider. My family purchased it new in late '74 or early '75. It came with a meagre 85 Merc on it. I was only 13 or so at the time but I had no love of Mercs and wanted an OMC outboard so we told the shop we only wanted the boat and to keep their motor. We took it over to an OMC/Johnson dealer and had them put the '74 Johnson 115 on it. Great decision! That motor has been rock solid and super-dependable over all of these 38 years (although we did eventually wear out the powerhead and had it bored out and rebuilt a number of years ago) and the extra 30 ponies gave it a way better hole shot so it's great for skiing. The other great thing about it is that it has almost no wake which makes it a joy to waterski behind.

It's been a great boat and it seems to be fairly unique and rare. I have often done Google searches on "Starcraft American" and to this day I have not seen an image of this exact same model on the Internet. I have seen a picture of a similar boat from a brochure but that boat had a closed bow. I think in all of the 38 years we've owned our cabin, I have only seen one other boat like this one on the lake. It was red and I think it was back in the 70s when I saw it. Never seen another one since. I'd be surprised if there were many more of these boats still in use. Does anyone in this Starcraft forum know of another one of these boats that is still in use or have come across one of these units in the past?

100_0740(Small).jpg

costa lotta.jpg

I am proud of this boat as I have maintained it and the engine over all of these years. It's the oldest ski boat in our part of the lake and is still holding its own and looking great on the water.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Does anyone in this Starcraft forum know of another one of these boats that is still in use or have come across one of these units in the past?

Yep. Forum member Chinewalker has restored two Americans (though I think they were closed bow) and is a big fan of the model.

Chinewalker's 18' American COMPLETE
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=61515

Chinewalker's 15' American COMPLETE
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=61646

Very nice looking boat you have there.

Thanks for the compliments on my boat. The Chinewalker 15' boat you provided a link to does look pretty similar to mine in some respects but, of course, is different in a number of key ways besides being closed bow. The Costa Lotta is a foot longer and has what we call welter weight seats at the back on either side of the motor well. That one just has the four seats in the middle.

I should look at my insurance documents and see if I have the model number of the boat. I'm thinking I should contact Starcraft and see if they can give me an idea as to how many years they made that model and how many they actually made. As I said, I'm thinking it's a pretty rare boat. If I recall correctly, the shop we bought it from only had the one and to this day I've only ever seen one that was similar - a red and white one - but I only caught a fleeting glimpse of it from a bit of a distance so I can't say for sure if it was a bowrider or not. Over the years I've searched on the internet to find pictures of another one of that model and this is the only one I've managed to find that could be the same model but it is not the same year. Notice the way the windshield curves at the corners? My boat has square corners there so must be a different year. We were told and I believe the Costa Lotta is a '75.

http://www.zazzle.ca/1973_starcraft_american_card-137260308027843263

When I first saw this picture I thought the '73 was a closed bow but I just noticed the center walk-through part of the windshield is open so it must be a bowrider. Other than this one picture, I have not yet found a picture of another Starcraft bowrider similar to mine.

According to the tags on my boat, it's only rated for 100 hp but I think I can send those old tags into Transport Canada and get new one which may give it a higher rating. The 115 works well on it as it is a light boat. It's got a hole shot like you don't believe and gets on plane in the blink of an eye. You're up and flying along on your slalom ski before you can barely finish saying, "Hit it!". :p In truth, the engine has been bored out and had over sized pistons installed so it's probably putting out a bit more than 115 hp but that's at the shaft. The hp on those motors was not measured at the prop like they are today.

The one shortcoming the boat has is that under certain conditions it can lean too far on its side and scare the hell out of you. All it takes is to be a little overweighted on the side to which you're turning or for a skier to make a bit of a cut just as you're making a bit of a turn to the side that the skier is on and the boat will suddenly lean uncomfortably far over to that side giving you and everyone else in the boat an awful fright. I am keenly aware of that tendency so I am very careful about how weight is distributed in the boat and I and the people I ski with know not to make a cut when the boat is turning if we're skiing on the inside of the turn. Happily, in 38 years we've had nothing but fun and safe boating with it.

At 32 mph and 22' off on the tow rope, the wake is only about 4' across and is literally no more than 4" high. You don't even feel it when you cross it. I love that! Being that the boat is so light, however, a bigger skier can pull the back end around a bit if he cuts hard enough but I can counteract that with some driving techniques. For a smaller guy like me (5' 9" & 160 lbs) it's not an issue though. It may not be anything close to a tournament ski boat but for just free skiing, it's a great ski boat. For such a small little runabout, it sure has given us an ocean liner full of fun over these past 38 years.

I will post a couple more pics if I can find some pictures of the interior.

MassillonBuckeye

Chief Petty Officer

Brand new to me PM160! Just picked her up yesterday :) My first Tinnie!

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Real nice fishing rig right there!