What size fuel tank???

StarcraftCrazy

Recruit
Anyone want to help out a newbie? I just bought my first 16'ft v hull and I am curious what size fuel tank I need? I plan on getting a 60-85hp outboard and I need to pick up an above deck tank. I see them in all sizes, but I just don't know what is a good size to get. Thanks for any info you can give. I appreciate it!!

ZmOz

Captain
Re: What size fuel tank???

The biggest one you can fit in your boat. Trust me...you'll want it. ;)

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Except for odd sized expensive portable tanks you are pretty maxed out at 6 gallon tanks. I recommend two in the boat and a third for getting fuel.<br /><br />I did this before having a built in tank and it worked quite well.<br /><br />An 85 hp will burn about 8.5 gph. This gets you 1 hour of continuous running with one third to spare bused on the one third rule (third to get there, third to come home and a third for stupidity, sorry, I mean just in case).<br /><br />The third tank is great if you are going far.<br /><br />Remember, 1 hour of continuous running is far unless you are going across a very large lake or touring.

StarcraftCrazy

Recruit

Thanks for the replies so far. That helps me out. I had no idea how much gas per hour I would be burning.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by steam_mill:<br /> Except for odd sized expensive portable tanks you are pretty maxed out at 6 gallon tanks. I recommend two in the boat and a third for getting fuel.
There are lots of common sized tanks over 6 gallons.

phatmanmike

Captain

the most you can safely and easily fit in your boat. i uses 2 walmart 6 gallon red tanks. one under the console is the one in use, and a spare one in the back under the splashwell

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

Zmoz:<br /><br />Up here in the north, I have yet to see anything over 6 gallons for porables at the common places. What do guys have in the states?<br /><br />Joe

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Steam Mill,<br /> With the price of gas as it is, definitely go for the 6 gallon tanks. Gas at the on-water spots is generally about 15-20% higher price here in the 1000 Islands, so taking the tank with you to a land-based station will pay dividends, particularly at +/- $1.00 (Can) per litre. If you had a 12-gallon tank you'd be hard pressed to haul that back and forth all the time, uless you keep your boat trailered most of the time...<br /> Your other option would be to get a 12 or 18 gallon tank and keep it topped off with a portable Jerry can or one of those filling stations on wheels thingies.<br /> Bottom line is, that unless you've got a built-in tank, you can't beat the convenience of the portable 6-gallon tanks...<br /> Another consideration - it's a lot easier to keep the 6-gallon tanks properly mixed with fuel (if you don't have a VRO type system). You add your pint (1/2 litre) and your gas and you're done. You don't have to worry about adding 10 gallons and mixing part of a bottle of oil and measuring it out and all that. ..<br />- Scott

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by steam_mill:<br /> Zmoz:<br /><br />Up here in the north, I have yet to see anything over 6 gallons for porables at the common places. What do guys have in the states?<br /><br />Joe
All kinds of sizes...3, 6, 12, 18, etc. I've got a 12 gallon and a 6 gallon, still not enough. :D

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 25 gallon built in and also carry a 6 gallon spare on the rear deck. 31 gallons total.<br />I average 3-4 miles to the gallon at cruise speed, 3800 rpm,s at 24 mph. I can do a 35-50 mile round trip.<br />Carry as much fuel as you can depending on how you plan to use the boat. I fill the 25 gallon tank by 5 gallon gas cans I carry to the boat or I trailer it to the gas station. The 6 gallon tank is a breeze and I will user that often as it is easier to refill.