Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

I have done some more painting so it now has yellow spray rails and those arrow head type things on the gunwales in the back. Can't decide if I want to do something on the deck on the bow yet. We'll see. I had planned to do a float test yesterday but then realized I hadn't finished the transom support and didn't want to risk water seeping into the transom. Should have that ready in another day or two.

PM38_Trailer_60.jpg

PM38_Trailer_59.jpg

I did opt to just go with zip ties to manage the cables and wires running back to the transom. I found some nice ones with mounting holes that made it nice and easy to attach them along the way.

I have also started the registration process and am now waiting for an officer to give me a call to schedule the inspection appointment. Exciting times! :D
Since I have the registration process started I now have a temporary authorization number so I can actually take her out!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone for the kind words!

I have done some more painting so it now has yellow spray rails and those arrow head type things on the gunwales in the back. Can't decide if I want to do something on the deck on the bow yet. We'll see. I had planned to do a float test yesterday but then realized I hadn't finished the transom support and didn't want to risk water seeping into the transom. Should have that ready in another day or two.

I did opt to just go with zip ties to manage the cables and wires running back to the transom. I found some nice ones with mounting holes that made it nice and easy to attach them along the way.

I have also started the registration process and am now waiting for an officer to give me a call to schedule the inspection appointment. Exciting times! :D
Since I have the registration process started I now have a temporary authorization number so I can actually take her out!!

Sure looks nice to me. :thumb:

Something I used on my trailer where bundling wires is some split tube. It looks like this and keeps all the wires bundled together for a nice clean look.

Split wire tubing.png

You can buy it in a lot of different diameters, lengths and colors. Just an idea.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
split loom is nice. I also use wire wrap.

pckeen

Commander
Looks amazing. It's hard to believe this was once a bunch of wooden boards and plywood. Looks like something you would find in a new boat showroom.

Ned L

Commander
Great looking boat! You need to really congratulate yourself. I think we are all looking forward to seeing her on the water.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you pckeen and Ned L for the kind words! I look back through my picture archive (I have taken 251 pictures so far) from time to time and can't really believe I actually made it this far. Of course it remains to be seen how she behaves in the water, but she certainly looks like a boat! :lol:

While rigging up the motor controls I discovered I am missing one of the pins for connecting the shifter wire to the arm in the motor. So I have ordered a new one. Should hopefully get here this week but we'll see. I also noticed that there's a pretty severe grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel. I think I traced it to one of the pulleys in the front so I have decided to replace both front pulleys. They should hopefully arrive this week too. The ones I have are used but seemed ok until I got the tension on the wire. Go figure... I did also get a battery. I opted to start out small with a U1-class battery and see how that works out. I may upgrade later and put this one in my lawn mower but we'll see. So all I have left in order to actually take her out is to replace the steering pulleys, adjust the steering system and hook up the shift wire.

I did decide on a whim to put her in the water last night. So I pulled her out of the garage (for the first time) and hooked her up to the truck. We got in the truck and rode over to the ramps by the lake (less that 10 minutes away), but unfortunately they where bustling with activity so I decided to not hold up one of the ramps just to sit in my boat for a bit. It wasn't a total loss though, I did get to tow her around for a bit. :lol: Should have known it would be that busy on a Sunday afternoon. :facepalm:

PM38_Trailer_65.jpg

I will make another attempt this evening hoping weekdays will be a lot less busy at the ramps.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to admit, it looks really nice setup there in your driveway. You should be wearing a smile from ear to ear. That is a great accomplishment. :thumb: :thumb:

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That looks awesome! I really like the yellow splash rails, they give it a nice look. Hoping to see some pics of her on the water in the near future.:joyous:

What did you end up using for floor panels? The plans don't really say much and the pdf file seems to say 1/2" marine ply. I am thinking 1/2" may be a little over kill?

Scott

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
That looks awesome! I really like the yellow splash rails, they give it a nice look. Hoping to see some pics of her on the water in the near future.:joyous:

What did you end up using for floor panels? The plans don't really say much and the pdf file seems to say 1/2" marine ply. I am thinking 1/2" may be a little over kill?

Scott

Thank you! I'm hoping to at least have her in the water this evening but we will see. Can't wait for the parts to come in so I can take her out on the lake!

I haven't done anything for the flooring yet. I was pondering 1/2" plywood but like you I feel that seems a bit much and would add a lot of weight. Although 1/4" seems like it might flex a bit much when stepped on. I don't know... Maybe 3/8"? I do need to do something because right now the tank slides around a bit when I tow her. And may also slide around while out on the lake. I have enough 1/2" plywood so I may just end up going with that. I am planning to make two halves with the split running down the keelson. That way it will be easier to lift them if/when needed. I think some tape-on weather stripping would work to go between the floor panels and the battens.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thank you! I'm hoping to at least have her in the water this evening but we will see. Can't wait for the parts to come in so I can take her out on the lake!

I haven't done anything for the flooring yet. I was pondering 1/2" plywood but like you I feel that seems a bit much and would add a lot of weight. Although 1/4" seems like it might flex a bit much when stepped on. I don't know... Maybe 3/8"? I do need to do something because right now the tank slides around a bit when I tow her. And may also slide around while out on the lake. I have enough 1/2" plywood so I may just end up going with that. I am planning to make two halves with the split running down the keelson. That way it will be easier to lift them if/when needed. I think some tape-on weather stripping would work to go between the floor panels and the battens.

Pet, you could go 1/4" with that size hull if you applied CSM and poly on top and bottom. Or even some 1708 and poly on the sides. It would be as solid as you would even want it to be. JMHO

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
GM, that was kind of what I was thinking. I have some 1/4" marine ply left, some glass cloth and epoxy. Thinking of trying a layer of glass on each side of the floor panels, paint them and cover with carpet, it should add enough strength and still be fairly light weight.

Scott

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Just a quick update this morning. I was able to get her in the water for the very first time last night! And she seemed to do ok. I dragged in a bit of water when I got in her but other than that I didn't see any water coming in so I think she's ok. I'll look more next time. Here's a picture to show it happened. :bounce:

PM38_InTheWater_03.jpg

I should add that this was the extent of it. I am still waiting for the part for the shifter hookup and also two new steering pulleys so I never took her out. Never even cranked the engine. Looks like I may get the opportunity to do that this coming weekend though.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
NICE! It look very nice sitting in the water. And I do see an ear to ear grind on somebody as well. I suspect YOU. :thumb:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
NICE! It look very nice sitting in the water. And I do see an ear to ear grind on somebody as well. I suspect YOU. :thumb:

Thank you! Yep, that is me. Just couldn't pass up the opportunity to sit in her. There were a group of fire fighters there as well launching their boat. Not sure what they were doing. One of them came over and asked if I had just bought her, she looked new. :D

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just beautiful. Congrats. She looks like she's going 100 MPH just sitting there. Enjoy her. You've done an awesome job.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Congrats! She looks great just sitting there! I am really interested to see how she performs!