Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes, I agree, that would be very nice. Unfortunately I don't have the tools or the know-how to do something like that, so I'll settle for some plywood. :lol: If I can get it the way I want it, I think it will still look ok.

I did pull the plug on a trailer today. So now I just need some extra hands to help move it over to it.

pek, if you can raise the bow and then slide the trailer in as you go, it can be accomplish easily. But of course the trailer bunks are going to have to be adjusted for you boat. So once you get it loaded up, you still may need to lift the boat for adjustments. JMHO

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I took some measurements on the boat and adjusted the bunks, mid support and bow support. Then a neighbour came over and gave me a hand moving her over to the trailer. I had to make a couple of adjustments to the bunks but we didn't have to take the boat off. She sits pretty nicely on there now.

PM38_Trailer_04.jpeg PM38_Trailer_05.jpeg

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks great on her new ride. Excellent progress. Did you take her around the block? C'mon, you can tell us. Lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
She looks nice on the trailer. Maybe you didn't take her around the block, but you probably sat in her and made vroom vroom sounds. You don't have to say, we all do it though. :facepalm:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone. I did have some trouble backing the trailer into the driveway, so I plan to take it for a spin around the block with the boat on it. But right now I don't have anything in the bow to attach the winch strap to. So nothing actually holds her there. I am planning on one of my ratchet tie-downs for the aft section. Just hook each end to the trailer frame and loop it over the boat to hold it on place. I am planning to use the bow handle to attach the winch strap to. I have sat in her though and pretended I had the throttle in place. :lol:

I need to work on the gap I have between the sheer rail and the deck. I didn't plan it right when I cut the top of the plywood off so I don't have enough to bevel so the plywood lays flat against the sheer rails. So I am planning to just fill the gap with the epoxy filler and call it a day. It should still come out ok. Then I need to finish the transom, it needs sanding and perhaps some more filler and then paint. After that I can work on the deck. I need to fill in several places and sand it well. Then prime and paint it. Then I also need to paint the inside white, like the deck. At that point I can start putting the hardware on. Oh, and once the transom is ready, I plan to register her and have the inspection so I can get a serial number. So there's a bit of stuff left to do.

SGoergen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That looks Awesome :D Can't wait to get mine on a trailer, but it has to make it out of the basement first :lol:

Looks like you have the bunks riding on the outside of the skid rails? I am planning on building my own trailer, I want it a little wider than the ones I have seen for sale around Kansas city and also want to use the same sized tires as my camper, that way I can carry one spare tire in the truck and it will work no matter what trailer I am pulling.

Good plan on the edge of the top deck, I had a small gap around mine in a few areas and filled it with epoxy filler.

You are getting down to a short list!

Scott

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks archbuilder and Woodonglass! It is starting to get exciting now for sure!
bounce.gif

That looks Awesome :D Can't wait to get mine on a trailer, but it has to make it out of the basement first :lol:

Looks like you have the bunks riding on the outside of the skid rails? I am planning on building my own trailer, I want it a little wider than the ones I have seen for sale around Kansas city and also want to use the same sized tires as my camper, that way I can carry one spare tire in the truck and it will work no matter what trailer I am pulling.

Good plan on the edge of the top deck, I had a small gap around mine in a few areas and filled it with epoxy filler.

You are getting down to a short list!

Scott

Thanks Scott! You did say you have a door big enough, right? :lol: I wish I did. My basement has just one door and it would have been quite difficult to get the boat out through it.

Yes, I adjusted the bunks so the skid rails end up just inside them. I figure that will give the boat a bit more stability on the trailer, and also help prevent it from sliding off once I add the planned ratchet tie-down from the trailer frame over the back of the boat. This trailer is on the narrow side. It is just about 55 inches between the outside edges of the fenders (if I remember right). But I think it will work out ok for my need. They have a bigger one as well but it cost twice as much. I got it at Academy Sports, the store near me carries them. Apparently not all of their stores do. I guess if you don't live near a lake or something there's no point. I don't have a spare for it, and no jack. I'll add the jack and at some point I will most likely also invest in a spare. Sounds like your plan should work out nicely between the trailer and your camper. I'm definitely going to follow along on your trailer project. I don't have the tools or much skill working with metal. I'm looking forward to see yours.

Ah, so you had a gap between the deck and the sheer rails as well? I feel better about my epoxy filler plans then hearing that you did the same. I'll hopefully get some time to get that started here soon. The weather seems to have decided to stay warm now so that makes it easier to plan the work.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
This weekend I had some time to work on the transom. For the most part it came out ok after sanding a bit. But a few spots needed some extra filler and I also had to fill in some epoxy on the tabs where I had to grind a couple of small bubbles. Some more sanding and then I should be able to start priming and then painting it.
PM38_Trailer_07.jpeg

I also filled in the gap between the decking and the side/sheer rail. A few spots will need a bit more filler but all in all I think it will look ok once I'm done.
PM38_Trailer_08.jpeg

When I do the touch-ups of the filler in the gap, I'll also work on the center fore deck to fill in the joint between the two deck halves. I also need to fill in over the screws and a few other areas on the plywood.

It is quite exciting to think that when I am done with the filler this time, it is time to paint the deck and inside!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Time for a minor update. I have spent some time working on the rear seat and also the support between the seats.

PM38_Trailer_13.jpg

I'll need to take the plywood off the support and do some more sanding to get it a bit smoother. The plywood doesn't lay as smooth as I'd like. But it's a start.

PM38_Trailer_14.jpg

I also installed the throttle and noticed I'll have to ponder how to route the control wires back to the motor. I may have to cut out a notch in both seat backs to allow them to run back. I also have a feeling the steering cable will get a bit tricky but we'll see.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Cutting and notching things is pretty typical when rigging controls. So just install those things how ever it seem to work out best for you. The pretty up everything after the fact. JMHO

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Cutting and notching things is pretty typical when rigging controls. So just install those things how ever it seem to work out best for you. The pretty up everything after the fact. JMHO

Ok, that sounds about like what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming. If I can get it the way I am thinking it shouldn't look too bad I don't think.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would get one of the hidden mercontrols where you only have the handle on the outside. the cables, etc would all run down the gunwale and probably wouldnt need the notches

something like this:

fetch

fetch

a large diameter PVC pipe foamed up under the gunwale makes a great rigging tube, however I would probably make a wooden cable run in keeping with the theme of the boat

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I would get one of the hidden mercontrols where you only have the handle on the outside. the cables, etc would all run down the gunwale and probably wouldnt need the notches

something like this:

fetch

fetch

a large diameter PVC pipe foamed up under the gunwale makes a great rigging tube, however I would probably make a wooden cable run in keeping with the theme of the boat

Yeah, those are nice and I have been pondering just that. But honestly, I kinda like the look of that big black box. :) And it has the ignition, choke and a couple of other things nicely integrated in it. For my use I think it will work out well. I also got the harness for connecting things up to the electrical that will plug into that short connector so I can control power usage with the key.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Have two coats of the deck paint in place and also on the inside. Got both seats painted as well.

PM38_Trailer_31.jpg

PM38_Trailer_32.jpg

PM38_Trailer_34.jpg

Just waiting for the paint to dry completely before assembling things and then start adding the hardware.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
petstrom, you should be extremely proud of your boat project. It looks amazing and I am certain you are going to enjoy it very much. :thumb: