oil leak on 3.0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I’m looking for a timing cover and gasket kit as well as a seal kit for the outdrive so I can get started on the project. The outdrive inspection will be a good thing and I have to change the trim switches too.
you will most likely need to buy the parts separately. I do not think there is a "kit"

harringtondav

Commander
I'm pretty sure this will work. $16 at Advance, $20 at AutoZone. Includes gasket and crank seal. ...or you could buy OEM: "Replaces: GM 3992251 and Mercruiser 59341A1. SKU: 0014-058. $114.99"
I Googled "GM 3.0L gas engine timing cover".
Thinking back ,I think I was super careful to not tear the rubber oil pan gasket that wraps the bottom of the cover.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a 3.0L years ago with a rusted timing cover. I supported the front of the engine, removed the timing cover and cut the oil pan gasket flush. I installed the new timing cover and used a 3/16 or so bead quality gasket maker on the oil pan lip. It sealed up fine with no leaks for a few years till I sold it. I did the same to a friends boat that he ran for years with no leaks.

I’m not saying that is the proper way, but worked for me. It’s the same way I used to do timing covers on Chevy a 350 when doing a cam swap with the engine still in the vehicle.

Just an option, pulling the motor and installing a new oil pan gasket is the best way to ensure no leaks.

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm pretty sure this will work. $16 at Advance, $20 at AutoZone. Includes gasket and crank seal. ...or you could buy OEM: "Replaces: GM 3992251 and Mercruiser 59341A1. SKU: 0014-058. $114.99"
I Googled "GM 3.0L gas engine timing cover".
Thinking back ,I think I was super careful to not tear the rubber oil pan gasket that wraps the bottom of the cover.
I think that’s probably the way I will go. I will put some type of sealer or rust proofing on iota and it should be fine I would think

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
cover is off and I ordered the NAPA timing cover that crosses to the dorman number for automotive applications. the part is NLA according to the local Merc dealer. I don't see why the part won't fit but who knows till it gets here.
Engine still in the boat, took out bench seat and placed a 2x4 under the oil pan (fit snugly) used the mount adjustment to lift it another 1/8 and placed shims under it, lowered it down and took it apart. Plenty of room to move around and work. I am going to see how clean I can get the surface with the oil pan rubber gasket (still intact) and use permatex on it.
The pic of the timing cover is of a hole that was under the water pump housing. It was rotted out.

Attachments

• IMG_1483[1].JPG
    IMG_1483[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1495[1].JPG
    IMG_1495[1].JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1501[1].JPG
    IMG_1501[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

Bondo

Staff member
Engine still in the boat, took out bench seat and placed a 2x4 under the oil pan (fit snugly) used the mount adjustment to lift it another 1/8 and placed shims under it, lowered it down and took it apart.
Ayuh,...... Now, after ya put it back together, ya gotta pull the drive, 'n realign the motor to the gimbel bearin',.....
If ya don't, there's a solid chance it'll take out the coupler,.....

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Even though the motor was only lifted literally 1/8”? I have the original position on the mount marked for re installation. I only raised enough to take the load off the mount.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Even though the motor was only lifted literally 1/8”? I have the original position on the mount marked for re installation. I only raised enough to take the load off the mount.
yes, even if you so much as turned the mount nuts at all

you have to pull the drive and align.

you are supposed to check alignment every year.

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, that sounds fair to me. I’m happy is didn’t have to remove the engine so that’s a fair trade off!

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will go thru the drive and install new trim switch/sensors when I do that. I will have a little more peace of mind knowing its all squared away come next season.

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I thought about a repair but when I looked it over I figured it was best to replace it. I’m going to make a concerted effort the keep it clean and dry

harringtondav

Commander
Heed the advice about alignment, adjuster height, etc. Alignment bars are fairly inexpensive and a good investment if you're into boating long term.

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am going to get a bar and make sure it’s all squared away. Any thoughts on how to determine whether I have an alpha 1 or 2? Generation 1 or 2?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I am going to get a bar and make sure it’s all squared away. Any thoughts on how to determine whether I have an alpha 1 or 2? Generation 1 or 2?
91 is the change over year between gen one and two. My 91 boat was a gen one as the driveline was a 1990 manufacture

Post pictures of your drive or drive serial number

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
91 is the change over year between gen one and two. My 91 boat was a gen one as the driveline was a 1990 manufacture

Post pictures of your drive or drive serial number

Attachments

• 2D7C0B33-C475-42E8-8BF6-1F4F1DA02A4B.jpeg
    2D7C0B33-C475-42E8-8BF6-1F4F1DA02A4B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I pulled the drive off see oil and grease inside the bellows. I’m going to remove the rest of the unit tomorrow so I can change the bearing and install trim switch/sensor, but I’m curious as to whether there should be oil in the bellows?
Thanks

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled the drive off see oil and grease inside the bellows. I’m going to remove the rest of the unit tomorrow so I can change the bearing and install trim switch/sensor, but I’m curious as to whether there should be oil in the bellows?
Thanks
grease is inside the bellows u joints .. but no gear oil ...
did you use the old trim sw/resistor left right see if the ohm meter is working . I no the CCP parts are a lot of failures ..switch/resistor sensor .. corrosion in the components ...