oil leak on 3.0

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I removed the outdrive and now am looking at the bell housing. The bellows look like they were replaced not too long ago and look new. Can I install the new trim switch/sensors without removing the bell housing, bellows etc? I'm really having a tough time finding some clear information/videos on how to do this.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1513[1].JPG
    IMG_1513[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Alumarine

Captain
I pulled the drive off see oil and grease inside the bellows. I’m going to remove the rest of the unit tomorrow so I can change the bearing and install trim switch/sensor, but I’m curious as to whether there should be oil in the bellows?
Thanks
If it's oil and not grease then you need to pressure test the drive.
You might need a new yoke seal and maybe the yoke as well it it's worn.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Can I install the new trim switch/sensors without removing the bell housing, bellows etc?
Yes but it's not easy

You'll need at least one bent 7/16 wrench to get the upper clamp bolt loose. It's tucked up fwd of the gimbal ring. Tough to get at even with the bellhousing out of the way.

Going together you only need the lower clamp bolt

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will pressure test the drive and do the yoke seal, but are the switches able to be installed without removal of the bell housing and bellows etc? I will pressure test drive and do the yoke seal if necessary

Bondo

Staff member
I will pressure test the drive and do the yoke seal, but are the switches able to be installed without removal of the bell housing and bellows etc? I will pressure test drive and do the yoke seal if necessary
Ayuh,..... You can try, but feedin' the wires through is so much easier when the bell, 'n bellows are out of the way,.....

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,..... You can try, but feedin' the wires through is so much easier when the bell, 'n bellows are out of the way,.....
I'm having trouble finding the instructions for removing the bell housing. I don't want to just start pulling stuff without knowing what I'm in for.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Stitchesill pressure test the drive and do the yoke seal, but are the switches able to be installed without removal of the bell housing and bellows etc? I will pressure test drive and do the yoke seal if necessary
Switches are a royal pita. I wouldn't bother unless you're in there for something else. I've had them working for maybe 3 of the 14 seasons I've had this boat.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I'm having trouble finding the instructions for removing the bell housing. I don't want to just start pulling stuff without knowing what I'm in for.
Leave it alone until you do bellows. you can squeeze up in there and get them but i think you will wish you left it alone before you get done with the job.

there is a youtube video out there of someone who does it without removing bellows ifyou search for it

would pressure test your drive to see if inout shaft is leaking. Grease is normal in bellows but oil isnt. Hard part is determining if it is normal grease or oil from input shaft

Last edited:

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
you have to inspect the bell housing .. remove corrosion and use the primer paint with alum .. then black paint is correct .. drive shaft has a leak next to the U joints ..use the air pressure gauge .... 7-10 psi .. see if its leaking ..

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im going up now to get a fitting for the drain hole so I can put my pressure tester on it. I will do 7 to 10 psi and check for leaking behind the universal joint. The new sensors are done. I verified continuity on wires and spliced new switches on with waterproof fittings as well as triple shrink tubing. Will clean thoroughly and apply a coating of silicone before tucking the wires back in.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im going up now to get a fitting for the drain hole so I can put my pressure tester on it. I will do 7 to 10 psi and check for leaking behind the universal joint. The new sensors are done. I verified continuity on wires and spliced new switches on with waterproof fittings as well as triple shrink tubing. Will clean thoroughly and apply a coating of silicone before tucking the wires back in.
the electrical wires have a soldering and then the liquid tape ...then use a thin heat shrink tube and use the heat gun electrical gun ..

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pressure test showed a pretty good leak. Pulled the yoke out and gonna get the seal kit tomorrow. If everything goes well I will have it back together tomorrow and ready for a dip on Friday.

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Outdrive was pressure tested. Looking for an alpha one generation one seal kit now. Yoke is out on the bench.

Alumarine

Captain
Pressure test showed a pretty good leak. Pulled the yoke out and gonna get the seal kit tomorrow. If everything goes well I will have it back together tomorrow and ready for a dip on Friday.
How did you remove the retaining nut, do have the tool?

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yoke seal done, U joints greased, and case pressure tested great, trim switches installed and functioning, all trim buttons work correctly (that was a PITA), new timing cover installed, engine aligned for yoke and the drive has been installed and is ready to go. Going to change gear oil with synthetic, do an oil and filter change, then take it down Friday afternoon and give it a dip.
This has been a real learning opportunity and this forum is a great resource for me.
THANKS!

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
the trim devices are in today's world switch/resistor it is a lot of failures .
the CCP manufactured it.. I would use the liquid tape to seal it ....

Fscott4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The only issue I have now is the steering wheel. The wheel is way off and I’m thinking maybe I can take the steering wheel off and change the position or is it possibly more complex than that?