New Boat For Christmas

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did the trimming betwixt the thunder and after supper, just gotta rinse out the plastic "sawdust" and chock it from rolling
Test Tank 2.jpg
And notice her name :cool:
Test Tank 3.jpg
Oh, the other trailer houses a 1954 Caddy under resto

Willyclay

Captain
Being in gear in your special barrel is not the same as being in gear and "under load" by pushing your boat. It has to be done on the water! Be very careful with RPM's because connecting rods can go sideways over 1,000RPM. BTDT & it was ugly!

briangcc

Commander
If the barrel is a failure, look at a farm supply store - Runnings, Tractor Supply, etc. They sell composite containers up to 150 gallon which would make a good test tank.

Make excellent patio ponds after you're done.

**There are larger ones but good luck getting those home in the bed of a truck.

kaamho9

Recruit
Started taking the loo out (aka the head) it has some nasty water in it :sick: and the pump still pumps :poop: . . . . . . right back into itself lol. Once I get it completely out I'll measure the hose outlets and get something to plug them up

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the inputs Willy and brian, all that will be set with this barrel will be the idle mixtures, idle speed only. I think I've fingered out the WOT setting and will test that one on the pond. I'm doing this this way as a safety thing, even with someone at the helm steering, I'd have to be laying across the rear deck and stretched across the bracket, awkward at best, and then there is the clear and present danger of dropping the tools, never to be seen again

I looked at Tractor Supply and others (TS has one metal container that would make an awesome pool for lounging like I'd be doing, just hook up a sand pool filter and pump, TS would have to deliver it) I didn't really want to spend $150+ for something I'd be using once or very seldom

Oh and while I do realize that in-gear won't be like pushing the boat, the load of the water against the prop is what is needed as the resistance for setting the mixture and idle speed. I did notice on the "splash" day that neutral idle is slightly lower than just in gear idle, thats in the shifter assembly and I won't bother with it (its kinda like when turning your A/C on in the car, something bumps the throttle up to compensate for the load)

Last edited:

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Kaam, yeah, I said that and the pump-pot is gone, history, pumping itself through the landfill LOL Thru-hulls are new and old bronze with bronze caps all glued in with 5200

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been doing some Estate Activities as well as attending a Commencement Day for my son. He's now done with his General Medicine Residency and is, as we speak / type, on his way to Indianna for a Fellowship in ER Medicine (something similar to what he did in the Navy, never know what may come through the door from day to day)

I'm finished with the test barrel and carb adjustments and SWAGged the WOT by watching the butterflies deep in the carbs. I actually manually set and held the linkage and made a Sharpie mark then backed up the throttle lever to WOT and set it. We'll see how close when I take her out next. I did push the throttle to wide open for just a second and pulled back to idle, got instant rpm increase to speed and blew about half the water out (was expecting that) so I think we are thisclose to being set right WOO HOO In the midst of all this I found, ordered, and got a correct tachometer for a 20 pole engine, now I'll have a "fancier" vessel because the tach's face has "Chris*Craft" on it, brand new NOS unit. I'm about to go install it here in a few minutes

Willyclay

Captain
I can only guess how proud you are of your son. Congratulations to him on his achievement. Your boat project progress sounds very positive. Keep on, keeping on!

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can only guess how proud you are of your son. Congratulations to him on his achievement. Your boat project progress sounds very positive. Keep on, keeping on!
OH and yes I'm so proud of him, just wish my two daughters had even a smidgen of gumption to do themselves better, never hear from them either, oh well

Here is the three generations of us at the beginning, sadly Dad didn't make it to Med School Graduation but he was there in Spirit. Dad was SO proud the not only did they share the same first and last names but also that both were Navy Hospital Corpsmen, Dad retired, and Robert did 10 years.

Three Veterans.jpg
Then us last Saturday, the Class motif this year was Hawaiian
Guess Who LOL.jpg

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Congratulations to your son on his achievement, just about ready for another on water test?

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congratulations to your son on his achievement, just about ready for another on water test?
Thanks, he did all the "hard stuff"

Yeah, Holiday weekend upon us and itchin' to splash a 2nd time and cruise for awhile this time. I wish I could leave her in the water for the weekend but at the moment no means in place to secure the batteries, gas tanks, and drain plug.

Too bad some parts of society can't be trusted to admire and walk away, instead some think "cool, I won't have to buy the new batteries I need" or "these gas tanks are better than my old rusty ones" or "let's pull the plug and see how long it takes to sink" Yes there are some STILL like that, many years ago I knew a friends Dad who left his boat just for lunch and came back to no batteries and no tanks, from then on he took those with him up the street to his house. A lakeside community btw

Willyclay

Captain
A bud launched his boat by himself on a weekday with zero other trailers in parking area. Upon returning to his boat at the dock, the battery was gone.

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, what I will do eventually will be to build a lockable seat box back there with a bench type seat. It's a shame that we have to lock stuff up, keeping honest folks honest
266489444_4641171199294862_3465364060252087942_n.jpg

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
The first day of this Holiday weekend and I intend to cruise, if not tomorrow then a run on Monday. The marina down at the dam usually has a boat decoration contest and a fireworks show on the 4th. I remember one pontoon was looking like a side-wheeler riverboat in lights (they won) and another 'toon had a live band aboard, including a drum kit and amps run off a generator. Then there are always the various residents on the lake that do their own fireworks, shoot some on one side then applause followed by shooting some across the lake. It's a good show on a boat.

Here is a finished Estate project, I was afraid that the wood gates were going to collapse while trying to open or close them SO, we got a cattle gate a couple of weeks ago and today I put the privacy panels on it, so easy now to just undo the chain and swing / roll it open
Das New Moo Tor aka New Cattle Gate.jpg

girjasingh833

Recruit
Thanks stalker, she will be perfect for our needs here though the Admiral would have preferred a 'toon boat. She says that a V-hull is only going to throw her out into the water LOL