my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintst

Commander
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Cool. Let me know any tips when you get that thing all figured out.

I did the 6 months thing and overdid as well. Got all my Stolltz rollers and a Hummingbird GPS fishfinder combo as well.

The only thing I really needed was the rollers so I need to get it under control as Ive got other more important stuff to buy.

I'll end up upholstering my seats in burlap at this pace.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice score CBK...does that let you leave the waypoints where you catch the fish too? I could really use one of those combo units.:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Nice score CBK...does that let you leave the waypoints where you catch the fish too? I could really use one of those combo units.:D

Sorry for the late response Mike..In Ohio, Was out by Lake Erie for work..Drove to Warren, PA..Nice country, drove through Jamestown..nice bit of history there.
Went over a nice lake (Chataunga???) with summer homes and slips..big $$ it seemed..Anyway..

HECK YES it does..You push a button and it puts a icon on the screen of a fish..Stores it for future reference (aka eating)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Sorry for the late response Mike..In Ohio, Was out by Lake Erie for work..Drove to Warren, PA..Nice country, drove through Jamestown..nice bit of history there.
Went over a nice lake (Chataunga???) with summer homes and slips..big $$ it seemed..Anyway..

HECK YES it does..You push a button and it puts a icon on the screen of a fish..Stores it for future reference (aka eating)

Hey Kev,
Ok so im slow I just connected the two, were you laid over or touring the countryside and lake Erie, Jamestown E LoL :D:D By the way back in the 80's 90's I spent a lot of time out there Jamestown always gave me the creeps especially apout 2:30-3 am Bad Visions real scary stuff

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Kev,
Ok so im slow I just connected the two, were you laid over or touring the countryside and lake Erie LoL :D:D

No, I didnt get laid..lol
I was in Ohio since Sunday for work, then I have a great customer in Warren that I went to go see..but didn't get back to CLE airport in time and missed my flight..At one point I was 70 miles from Buffalo, NY

I can see Jamestown being spooky, especially after 20 Great Lakes Beers and just the fact that half the town is a cemetary..lol

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

No, I didnt get laid..lol

OMG ROFLMAO, that is not how I meant it OMG I almost spit out my drink reading this.
EDIT- Laid over = stuck without a flight, forced to stay over!LOL

Tell you what, there is a lot more going on in Jamestown than meets the eye. I am accustomed to certain feelings and things I have dealt with all my life, and I'll tell you what I wound up in Jamestown without knowing its history thinking it was just another town I was going through, It frightened the bejeevers out of me to much ***** Edit. Tell you what I have been all over our great nation, there are 3 places I will never go near again Rt 66 near its end where you are getting close to 81 I think it is , heading west towards west VA, Jamestown, and a section of I88

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice score on the cuda 350, my boat came with a cuda 250 and i don't know if i'll ever get all the things it can do but it gets me there and back

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ok..I took today & tomorrow off to stretch out the "Holiday" weekend..
I was messing around with my little 7.5 hp outboard since I was having issues with it over the weekend when I saw the B-Ticket looking at me and wanted to know why I was ignoring her for so long?

If you remember I fired her up a month and a half or so ago and water was shooting out the back of the motor, well I decided to find out the real damage and see if it was repairable..

She fired RIGHT UP and idled nicely and showed me where she was shooting water from..

manifold.jpg

Seems at the back of the exhaust manifold, there was a HUGE HOLE!!:eek:
Good news?? It's a replaceble plate that was $25.00 at the local marine parts store

plate.jpg

Of course theres thunderstorms now, but I will get this on tomorrow!

tallcanadian

Captain

Good news, Kev. Should make you feel better for sure. I thought you fell off the face of the earth..lol.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

That is great Kevin, glad you got it.

Jeff

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Of course theres thunderstorms now, but I will get this on tomorrow!

Come on....... are you made of sugar .......... I promised you will not melt :p

nlain

Commander

Hey Kevin, if that plate is like that what is the rest of the manifold like, you may want to check that unless you know how old it is already. If the manifold is like that it could cost you an engine.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

CheapboatKev "FRESH WATER FLUSH" after every use in that SALT WATER ENVIRONMENT YOU LIVE IN. AFTER EVERY USE KEV you have to do it.:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Kevin, if that plate is like that what is the rest of the manifold like, you may want to check that unless you know how old it is already. If the manifold is like that it could cost you an engine.

I hear ya my friend..Was looking at replacing the manifold as well..$$$ is always the issue it seems..Wonder if I pulled the manifold, and treated it with ????? would I get a few more years out of it..

CheapboatKev "FRESH WATER FLUSH" after every use in that SALT WATER ENVIRONMENT YOU LIVE IN. AFTER EVERY USE KEV you have to do it.:D

lol..Yep Jim..I'd LOVE to have to flush her from being in the salt..I have only had her on the river thus far

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

So I get out there this morning to get this done..and the plate I picked up is TOO DAMMMM BIG....Go back to the shop and it's all they have...said I may need to go to the Mercruiser DEALER?? WTH?? It's a steel plate, wonder if I can get one fabbed...Oh well, gonna check the iboat store before I buy some really thick diamond plate and permatex

nlain

Commander

If the manifold looks like that plate, or close, change it, do not take the chance, it is ready to kill your engine. Then money would be a big issue, and believe me I do understand money being an issue.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

If the manifold looks like that plate, or close, change it, do not take the chance, it is ready to kill your engine. Then money would be a big issue, and believe me I do understand money being an issue.

Thats solid advice Nlain...It has been nagging at me since I got a good look at it..While I look for one used, do you think it would help at all to take her off, flush her and paint the inside with rustoleum or an epoxy paint to stop the cancer?

nlain

Commander

In a word, NO. I really would be afraid to do that and I will not advise you to do that. You may find a good used one, you can pull the end plates off of the used one and check the inside of it, new gaskets and the end plates are back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.