MFG rebuild getting started pics

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

the small details are what take so long, too! is it me or do the transoms & stringers seem to go fast but rubrails & hardware seem to take forever? looks super-D-duper!!

I've always found I can predict the underlying quality of most things by level and care shown in the detail work.

tallcanadian

Captain

Okay, so the speaker boxes are awesome, the stereo/glovebox looks factory, is there anything you can't do? Great job SP. I see your son has inherited your talents as well.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

That will make for a very large glove box.
Yep ,It seems a reg size g/b just stays packed with so much stuff. I got tired of taking the phone or camera out and everything else coming with it ..
the small details are what take so long, too! is it me or do the transoms & stringers seem to go fast but rubrails & hardware seem to take forever? looks super-D-duper!!
Yeah it's the same at work .. I can build a building faster than finishing one . The fine tuning takes forever !
Wow dude!

Man the stereo install is looking awesome! Great fab work on the speaker mounts!

Your son has mad skills also!
Thanks Bear ! I had no idea my son was making those things . Happened to walk into his room the other day while he was finishing one up . :cool: He works at night so we don't get the chance to hang out much anymore ..
I've always found I can predict the underlying quality of most things by level and care shown in the detail work.
Agreed , If it looks rough on the outside it prolly is on the inside also ..
is there anything you can't do?
Yep ! Actually finish one project before I start the next ! :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Ok , I got all the pieces cut out . Still need to do some sanding .

All right Woody .. How about some tips on fastening the small pieces together without them splitting to heck and back . Pre-drill and finish nails/screws ? I should be able to hide most of the fasteners but I may need to install some on the finish side ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

PreDrill, use TB III, try to use clamps across the screw hole when driving the screw to hamper wood expansion when the screw goes in. May not be possible in tight quarters. F-clamps might reach in there. Use Coarse threads for pine. Based on your pic I really don't see any places that you can't Hide your fasteners. Toe nail the top from underneath with your brad gun after its glued. Or screw from top and and then plug with pine dowels or dado a strip and fill with accent strip. Lots of options.

Last edited:

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

looks like you got the right idea....sip...sand....sip.....sand....! bet you been freezin' up there Sam...this Florida "winter" is slowing me down!!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Nice work all around S.P.! I really enjoy watching the smaller, finishing touches come together.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Woody , Thanks I think I may try the brad,s . H/D did not have any s/s on the shelf so I had to order them .
Friderday, sip and sand is a proven technique ya know . The more ya sip the less ya figure ya need to sand ! :D
Pm , Trooper, Thanks guys ! Been a little chilly so I thought I might take care of a few things I been wanting to do ..

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok , I got all the pieces cut out . Still need to do some sanding .

All right Woody .. How about some tips on fastening the small pieces together without them splitting to heck and back . Pre-drill and finish nails/screws ? I should be able to hide most of the fasteners but I may need to install some on the finish side ..

Sweet cup holders SP!!!! Might have to switch beverages to hot cocoa!!!

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Sam. Like your choice in beverages.

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey Sp ..... haven't been on for a while and she looks great but it sure doesn't look like that thing has been wet yet.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Look who the cat drug in ^^^ :eek: Nice ta see ya Jon.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hey Sp ..... haven't been on for a while and she looks great but it sure doesn't look like that thing has been wet yet.

Well looky who,s back ! Great to hear from ya Jon ! I guess you have been doing life stuff huh ..
We have been running her around doing a bit of fishing tubing . Just a bit chilly so I have been doing odds and ends getting ready for spring . Hope all has been well !

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Cup holder installed ..

This will be part of a few more wood accent pieces I am planing . I want to build the lounge seating support brackets out of wood .
Gotta feed the hamster !
Also thinking of some kind of a screen to cover the bilge area ..

Last edited:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Wow Sp. That really looks amazing. You missed your calling! :thumb:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Sweet beverage container keepers!
An idea for the bilge screen...
Get some L angle aluminum...bend into U shape to fit down in the slot...rivet on some aluminum window screen...

Of course its just a rough sketch...I'm sure you can make it look factory original in real life...;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hold on there Bubbaluey ! I guess I didn,t make it to clear .. :facepalm: I was thinking on covering the whole under splash area . To cover ugly batteries , and fuel tanks and such . :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

You can get 24X24 pieces of the 'screen' and aluminum 'C' channel at HD or Lowes:
00M0M_j3JyJWk3gFr_600x450.jpg

Use pieces of $1 cutting board or starboard as feet. If it were mine to do, since yours is shorter, I'd make 3 pieces. Left & right screened panels sharing a track, and a central panel, screened or not, in it's own 2nd track in front.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

^^^ Hmmmm , good hamster food there jb ! ^^^
Maybe just 2 panels would be sufficient ..