MFG rebuild getting started pics

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

The rub rail came out fantastic. Here's the spider monkey you asked for. His name is Sam. As you can see he's used to working on boats, he works for a tough union though... so I don't know how soon I can get him over to your place. :lol:

spider-monkey-0004.jpg

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

^^^^ I sure could have used him about an hour ago ! I'm not a very good contortionist ... :rolleyes:^^^^

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

^^^^ I sure could have used him about an hour ago ! I'm not a very good contortionist ... :rolleyes:^^^^

Sorry... flight delay due to weather :facepalm: Hope your back is ok. I remember being a little kid and crawling around under the dash of my Dad's old 17 foot Edinboro. It was cramped as a kid, I sure wouldn't want to trade places with you now.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Taz ,it wouldn't be to big a problem if my belly would just stop getting in the way .. :facepalm:

Well I need some opinions .. This is what I have come up with .

I plan on using 1/4 or 1/2 inch plywood and I can do either
1- stain the wood . Might look a little funny..
2- glass then paint it green and install with some screws . Prolly be the easiest and would look ok ..
3- glass it into the hull and the outside corner of the splash apron . Would be the most work but would look the best I think ..
Would have to feather the paint . Not sure how that would turn out . I think GT had a way of applying the masking tape where it blends in good . I can't remember where he posted it . May be on my thread .. I think it was something like rolling the masking paper back so it kinda fades in without a line ...

Decker83

Commander

Option 3 does sound the best to me..
GT1M posted some info about the tape in my thread on page 27 post 660.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

My vote is for #3 as well. You have done such a magnificent job on the boat to date anything that isn't up to the standards you've already set will stick out like a sore thumb. Have you also given any thought to mounting a wooden box in back of the speaker to help project the sound out and away from the sides of the boat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How bout framing it with polished aluminum instead

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Option 3 does sound the best to me..
GT1M posted some info about the tape in my thread on page 27 post 660.
Yep I knew I saw it somewhere ..Thanks Decker !
Have you also given any thought to mounting a wooden box in back of the speaker to help project the sound out and away from the sides of the boat?
I thought about that but where I want to place it would not allow for a very large box . This will be tucked under the gunwales and I want to leave the bottom open so any water that may get back there will drain .
How bout framing it with polished aluminum instead
Now that's something I have not thought of . Not sure if I would want something so shiny though . The only other polished aluminum are the seat hinges ..

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the paint it white. If the paint is a little off the white will break it up so no one would be able to tell. You alrwady have the white trim in that area anyway.I think it will look like it belongs. Or.. go metalflake.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just so you can get a rough idea what I'm talking about...
whiteborder.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Now I see where ya was going with the aluminum . That way I would not have to try and blend the paint into the cap . Got another idea floating around the hamster wheel but I have to head to work now .
Later !

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Do the rear jump seat backs fold down?
I was looking back through your thread and noticed a possible good spot for the extra two speakers...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Nope they are through bolted . I thought about the flat sides of the jump seat area or the space in front of the splash . I kinda like the idea of them tucked under the gunwale cap.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Was in the 70's today so was able to sneak in a little glassing . Got my speaker panels ready for final paint and I got the stereo installed and working . Still need to tidy up the wires a bit and permanently instal rear speakers . The raceway pipes I installed under the gunwales sure made it nice running the wires . :joyous:

Tomorrow is the Admirals birthday so no paint tomorrow afternoon . It is supposed to get cold again for the next few days . I may have to do the painting in the workshop .
Have a great Monday everyone !

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Was in the 70's today so was able to sneak in a little glassing . Got my speaker panels ready for final paint and I got the stereo installed and working . Still need to tidy up the wires a bit and permanently instal rear speakers . The raceway pipes I installed under the gunwales sure made it nice running the wires . :joyous:

Tomorrow is the Admirals birthday so no paint tomorrow afternoon . It is supposed to get cold again for the next few days . I may have to do the painting in the workshop .
Have a great Monday everyone !

Speaker panels look nice SP!!! Happy Birthday to the Admiral!!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking good SP!

Wish her a happy b-day for us :watermelon:

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Are you wrapping up those panels for her b-day gift.....didn't think so, you look way smarter than that. Panels look good. Make sure her day is a good one. Happy wife...happy life.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those panels look awesome! Nice work SP. Looks like a cold snap tonight though.