MFG rebuild getting started pics

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: MFG rebuild getting started pics

Hmm, back up screws... I'd be really careful, you have to drill & install those thru the rope, and that might tend to snag & pull the rope strands.

WOG seems to be a good half step ahead of me today.... 2nd time in 5min for his reply to post while I'm still typing.............

SikaFlex (or other polyurethane adhesive caulk) is also available, and usually you can find it locally, in black, for less the $22/tube. :faint2: Yikes, the white 10oz tubes I ordered were delivered for just under $11/tube.

Either way, if tasked w/ installing the rope I'd probably use just enough of a bead of caulk to fix the rope into the channel & w/ assistance use painter's tape to temp hold it in place (crossing the rubrail vertically) as you work your way around the hull. Once cured remove the temp tape, and run an appropriate sized fine line tape along the centerline of the rope. This will keep the caulking you run along the top & bottom edge (more permanently fixing the rope in place) from getting the weave & fibers of the rope all filled w/ caulk.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Quick update ...
Yep you are right on the screw through trick jb ... It did not go so well on a sample piece .
Kinda ended up looking like Don King on a bad hair day ! :afro: :D
I think I will see what I can find locally off the shelf for the adhesive Woody . Maybe find something for a little less $ ..

tallcanadian

Captain

Great looking rub rail. I really like the rope idea. Do that on your trailer too. Match it good. By the way, you can get 5200 in black. Also comes in mahogany as well.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Right back at ya SBB ! Merry Christmas !!

Been sick as a dog with the flu :sick:since Saturday afternoon .. My kids have to work Christmas and Christmas eve so we had our Christmas on Sunday . Been to sick to play with my new toys ! :subdued:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Right back at ya SBB ! Merry Christmas !!

Been sick as a dog with the flu :sick:since Saturday afternoon .. My kids have to work Christmas and Christmas eve so we had our Christmas on Sunday . Been to sick to play with my new toys ! :subdued:

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Here's hoping for some :sleep: and a speedy recovery!

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to hear your not feeling well. Get some rest, the toys will be there when you get better. Merry Christmas.

Decker83

Commander

Hope you get to feeling better real soon..
The rope looks outstanding..

Wishing you, the Admiral and the family a very Merry Christmas..:D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Merry Christmas to you and yours, my friend!:D
...and feel better!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thanks everyone for the get well wishes ! I do feel a bit better today .. I hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas day !
I did score some boat related gifts from santa .. A nice marine stereo system and a GoPro Hero3 video camera ..

The camera was totally unexpected . :faint2: I had threw that one out there a few times just in case someone was listening . My son Ryan must have had his ears on .. :cool: Now I got to get a surf board attachment for it .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I need your thoughts . I,m going to start gluing in the r/r tomorrow . I plan on using black silicon with mechanical back up every 12" . The rope is 5/8" polypropylene solid braided . Do you think I should pull/ stretch the rope tight as I can get it ? Or should I just kinda lay it in the groove . I am worried if I pull too tight it may want to start shrinking back in and cracking the bond . Too loose and might not hold as well if it gets bumped . Like a wake making it skid down a pylon or something ..
I am thinking pull it just firmly snug . I don't have a clue how much the rope will expand and contract with temps or weather ..

jbcurt00

Staff member

How's taut but not stretched tight sound?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Taut sounds about right ... That's what I meant to say when I said firmly snug .. :facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Not the grammar police, just making sure I understood what you meant & that I agreed :watermelon:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Welp I,ll be the first to admit my grammar prolly needs policing sometimes .. :rolleyes::D

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Mr. Phleps...while searching youtube for some guidance in sewing marine vinyl...your lovely "pacman ghosts" seat recover video popped up! I like Jethro Tull!

Ciao,

~Brett

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Thank's baja ! Yeh It wasn't a very informative video but the music was kool .. Much better than my :blah:...

Last edited:

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Taut would seem like the way to go. Have you figured out any way to attach other than silicone? Not sure how taut you will be able to get it. I know you said drilling was a no go, what about a glowing hot nail to melt a hole through nylon,
then screw through that pilot hole into boat. Maybe just at ends to hold rope taut?