MFG Gypsy 15 Tri-Hull Restore advice needed

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: MFG Gypsy 15 Tri-Hull Restore advice needed

Right, getting them off is the easy part. But like Driven pointed out, its getting them back on that is a real PITA. Let us knowwhat you have to do and how you make out getting them back on.

tcindie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You should be able to push your bolt through the hole, the manually hand thread the nut onto it from the inside. Once it's on there if you pull the bolt back out and keep outward pressure on it while screwing it in it should tighten up the nut

FreeGypsy

Cadet

right what he said. . . . :D im just going to push a bold through and make my friend hold a nut on the back of each one! My boat is open under the console area so Its really not that bad at all for me!!

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, FreeGypsy's bowrider design is different than mine. He has a "wrap-around" seat configuration where you can get up under the seats to get at those nuts. Mine has 2 forward facing seats that were totally glassed to the floor. No way at all to get at those nuts short of cutting the entire bowrider and console section out. Wasn't about to go that route!

Andy in NY

Commander

Okay, 2 questions.

Is it possible to reattach the gunwale withOUT using the screws?

newbie_owner, do you plan to remove YOUR gunwale?

newbie_owner

Seaman

I am hoping not to. Somone has replaced the deck in this boat before and did a cheap job; I think he did it without removing the gunwale.

Andy in NY

Commander

Another question for you newbie_owner...

do you find that your consoles sag toward the center of the boat? flop around alot in choppy water?

also, do the bow seats seem unsupported? do you have any plans to add support at all?

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the question of re-attaching the gunwale WITHOUT screws with nuts. You might get away with 1 1/2" strips of 1/4" plywood and stainless woodscrews. If the top edge of the hull is like mine and relatively thin, I wouldn't recommend pop-rivets. If yours is 3/16" or thicker, you might get away with 'em.

The reason your consoles bounce around is because the stringers and floor's underside are shot. Originally the floor was resined to the stringers and the consoles resined to the floor. This provided support and stiffnes to the consoles. Because the stringers and floor are rotted they have separated from each other allowing the floor to flex. When the floor flexes, your consoles bounce around. This is also the reason the center window may not fit properly.

Once you get the new stringers and floor in you may find that you'll need to "shim" the consoles a bit using the center window fit as a guide. Once the center window is aligned properly, you can tab the consoles to the floor. When it's all done. Everything should be nice and solid again for years to come.

Andy in NY

Commander

Okay so I was doing some thinking/looking last night. How does the transom get replaced without removing the gunwale?

There is the aluminum strip, but it doesnt go all the way across...

100_0110.jpg

newbie_owner

Seaman

Yes, my windows and console do sag in the centre. The bow, however, feels quite solid. When I do the deck and stringers I am going to build some more support around the dash area and bolt everything down.

I am still trying to find some light weight PVC product to use instead of wood.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay so I was doing some thinking/looking last night. How does the transom get replaced without removing the gunwale?

There is the aluminum strip, but it doesnt go all the way across...

100_0110.jpg

Go back to the 1st page of this thread and scroll down to my post dated July 14th, 2008, 09:10 PM. It ain't pretty! :D

Andy in NY

Commander

Wow... okay.... that is a bit more complicated than I thought. How hard is it going to be to glass that section back on?

FreeGypsy

Cadet

Andy,
It really should not be hard at all to glass that section back in. The reason I say this is when you are done no one will ever see it so it really does not matter what it looks like, I think the hardest part will be glassing around the bilge area! Im still working on getting all of my rotted transom out! What a pain!

on another note is anyone interested in a windshield? glovebox? do any of you need the console and gunwhale support bars? Im going to do something different with all these areas, Im not really sure if any of it is going to work out for me but im going to try and just see what I end up with, it might turn into a 16' sandbox for my kid :D oh and the rubrails anyone need those?

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, that's why I cut it where I did. It'll be the easiest spot to glass it back together and after a good job of fairing and paint, you'll never know it was done. The same in the front where I had to cut the bowrider floor out to get the rest of the rotted wood out of there.

But as you all know, hindsight is 20/20. And for those about to rock, particularly ANDY. I thought of another approach that may have been a better choice for getting the cap back on with all of the screws had I thought of it at the time. Again, this applies to MFG Bowriders (perhaps other brands, but who knows) with the totally glassed in forward facing 2 front seats.

Simply, cut some access holes at about the level of the screws on the inside of the bowrider section so you can get your hands on all of them. You could do a nice job of cutting so that they look good and then put vinyl "U" trim around them and leave it that way. Or, you could do a somewhat sloppy job and glass it all closed again later. Your choice. Wish I'd thought of it before I started cutting.

This will allow you to pull the entire cap without cutting the floor or gunwales and get it back on with no problem. I could kick myself for not thinking of it a LOT earlier! Oh well, live and learn.

FreeGypsy, I might be interested in the glovebox, center window, and window supports. PM me.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothing from me really. Did you see my post about cutting some access holes up front so you can pull the whole cap without cutting it up? I expect to order the plywood tomorrow for the MFG so I can get back at it. In the meantime I've been working on the Aerocraft. I have the top popped off it and starting to cut the floor and transom out. The transom in that boat was TOTALLY rotted. Coming out in little piles of wet splinters. I can't belive that someone actually had that boat in the water last year! Stoopid Monkeys.

I should, if everything goes ok and the weather holds, have some update pics on laminating the transom halves together sometime next week.

Andy in NY

Commander

I did read your post about cutting access holes... I think I may try that.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yee Hahhhh! Finally got my 3/4 ply today for the Transom and Stringers. It looks like I'll have enough in the 2 sheets to do both the MFG and part, if not all, of the AeroCraft. I love it when a plan comes together!

I slapped the sheets up on sawhorses and screwed them together in the corners so nothing could move. I used the old transom from the MFG and the AeroCraft as templates. The Aerocraft was tough because there wasn't enough left of that transom to use as a full template. I ended up using cardboard along with what was left of the bottom of that transom to get what I needed. After I got them all laid out on the plywood, I strategically placed some drywall screws inside of the transom lines to hold everything together while I'm cutting. I'll be taking those screws out later when I'm ready to laminate the transom halves.

Tomorrow, the cutting begins!

I'll have some pics tomorrow. Too dark out for pics now.

Andy in NY

Commander

c'mon man, where are the pics?!?!?!?!?!

Newbie_Owner, have you found a place to work on yours yet? I am in the process of getting my barn/garage ready for this winter (needs 1/2 of the roof redone and new electrical) and will be ready by then end of september... then the cutting starts...

newbie_owner

Seaman

Hey,

No, I haven't found a place ye, I have been so busy lately.