MFG Gypsy 15 Tri-Hull Restore advice needed

FreeGypsy

Cadet
Re: MFG Gypsy 15 Tri-Hull Restore advice needed

by any chance do you know anyone who would be interested in buying the windows, or gauge cluster out of this boat and what they might be worth??

Andy in NY

Commander

FreGypsy, is yours a 14'? If so, I would be interested in the windows... more specificly the center folding window.

What is in the guage cluster?

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FreeGypsy, ya givin' up on it? :confused:

Could you give us a pic of the guage cluster? Mine doesn't appear to have had one in it. Might be interested as well. Maybe the windows too. Mine have a missing support on the starboard side.

FreeGypsy

Cadet

not giving up, but have bought a second boat. . .well its a long story but im going to be doing a whole lot of customizing, and it looks like I have a third boat on the way :) Im somewhat or a packrat so when this is all said and done Ill have a graveyard on my hands dont worry.

its hard to get a good pic but here is the gages fuel gauge is missing but there is a tach/spedo/ammeter

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/kaydinj04/100_4650.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/kaydinj04/100_4651.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/kaydinj04/100_4652.jpg

its a 17 foot all the windows are good, if i was going to reuse them I would replace the rubber that holds them in the windows.

also all the supports are available for the deck the console area the windows, the original metal gas tank some other little pieces if anyone is interested. Not looking to make a fortune just a few bucks so pay for stuff for my boat morphs :) so let me know what you guys want! The plastic MFG side logos are still on the boat if anyone wants them! I can drill out the rivets and remove them :)

woosterken

Lieutenant

free,
I would be enterested in the logos,PM me with the details and a picture please

woosterken

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Was catching up on the progress of these MFG's. Some thing I thought about to pass on to you guys is that the gel coat on these boats are 2 to 3 times as thick as new boats. So fee free to go at them with the polisher. Might want to drill a hole somewhere just to double check, but the gel should take a good buffing and polishing and come back with a nice shine.

BTW, I am really looking forward to some pics from Andy's foam job. I bet that boat is more rigid and much quieter than when new. Looking forward to read Andy's first ride description!

Great work guys! Keep the pics coming.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark42,

Thanks for the tip on the thick gelcoats. I don't know if I'd be able to bring mine back. Both the top and bottom of the boat have been painted with enamel sometime in the past. I'm thinking that I'm going to end up doing the same thing. There's a couple of spots on the sides of the hull that have had some "bodywork" done. Don't think it's going to be worth the effort to try to get back to gelcoat. Dernit!

As an update of where I'm at with mine, I'm all preped to start putting wood back in and have started repairing the areas in the transom outer skin and splashwell that someone cut out to accomodate a short-shaft. I'm hoping to pick up some ply later this week and get going on it again.

FreeGypsy,

Could you measure the height and width of the cluster? It just may be the pic, but your console looks a bit bigger than mine. Good luck with the new boat. Finally got my AeroCraft yesterday and started tearing into it after work today. That's 3 sitting in my yard now. 1 functional and 2 not. I'll have pics of what I'll be getting into with that boat in the '63? AeroCraft restore thread.

Do you have any idea what you'd like to get out of each of the MFG parts or would you just prefer a PM?

vwfoolwhy

Seaman

Boats accumulate in the yard to men like shoes do in the closets to women.

I as well have three in the drive way that?s down from a total of 5. Finally got through savaging two of them a few day a go.

It's great to pick up a whole boat for the few parts to aid in the restoration of your main one. Unfortunately the garage will fill up quick along with every other conservable hiding spot on your property with all the other parts that come along with them.

Keep up the great work.

Mike
Methuen, MA

Andy in NY

Commander

I'm also doing a 15 ft gypsy, working on stringers and have same question about foam in between weaving, I don't think anyone answered this question. I have been grinding but I am afraid of taking off to much old fiberglass. I tried a wire brush, a wire wheel and even acetone as well as other solvents, but nothing seems to clean it out enough. Will the resin adhere to this stuff or dissolve it or something? Or is the only option more elbow grease with the grinder. I bought a belt sander so I could get a more even surface. Using the grinder leaves highs and lows that might provide air pockets when fiberglassing. Sorry if this was answered but I double checked and didn't see anything. Thanks ya'll Dan. By the way for the angle of the stringer to hull I used a compass and just ruff guessed, I plan to bed them in in thickend resin hoping to get a surer fit.

Dan, where do you live?

Freegypsy, if Ken doesn't snag the emblems, I will take them in a hot second. If the deal falls through, count me in. Otherwise, Mark, you are on deck to make me some!

Ya know, this sounds sick and twisted but I almost want to take the boat off the water NOW to start working on it instead of waiting till next month...

Newbie_owner, have you started yours yet? I say whoevert starts first, we get together and tag team it to see what is going to be involved... my wife has already approved a weekend trip for me to ottawa so I am good to go!

newbie_owner

Seaman

Hi,

No I haven't started any more work on mine yet, I want to enjoy it for the rest of the summer and start the work in September. I wonder how much we could get done in a day withthe two of us going at it?

Andy in NY

Commander

Ya, same here... gonna ride out the rest of the summer.

I think with 2 people it could be completly gutted by mid afternoon...

FreeGypsy

Cadet

ok so here it is . . . . the gauge cluster is 18" long and 8 1/2" high

here are two pics of them emblems they are just plastic and have two cracks in the left one and none in the right one:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/kaydinj04/100_4659.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/kaydinj04/100_4660.jpg

now here is where I show how little I know about boats. . .what is this and does anyone need it for some reason I have two boats and three of these:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/kaydinj04/100_4661.jpg

dont laugh at me lol remember these are my first boats and already im getting in way over my head and my yard is starting to look like sanford and son, oh well gotta give the wife something different to complain about!

FreeGypsy

Cadet

in the one pic of the emblem you can see the water line, is that normal damage and easily repaired? whats the best way to go about that? tag teaming the inside is the best way to go guys my helper and I had everything out of the boat in about an hour with a cut off wheel, a spade shovel and a wonderbar :) my problem right now is I have nowhere to throw away the rotted wood so im thinking fire this weekend! the only hard part we had was separating the top from the bottom because someone had glued the transom to try to stop the rotting so we had to be destructive to get them apart:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/kaydinj04/100_4522.jpg

other than that we slid in two 2"x4"'s lifted in the middle and took the top off with two people! Good luck

Andy in NY

Commander

Freegypsy, did you encounter the screw/nut that Driven1 mentioned? If so, how do you plan to reattach it?

FreeGypsy

Cadet

i cant find where he mentioned a screw??? maybe you could copy it for me I dont see it. . . as far as what Im looking to get out of the parts. . just a few bucks a guy called today and offered me 65.00 for the steering wheel and cable worked for me. . . just make me an offer just that you think is fair im not trying to get rich just thought i could help some people out with parts i dont really plan to use anyways

Labman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FreeGypsy:
The picture is either A- a real nice wooden chair :D or B an aluminium Trolling Motor Bracket!
I suspect you are indicating the bracket;), they sell used here for anywhere between $35.00- $80.00cdn.,depending on the manufacture!

FreeGypsy

Cadet

yes the bracket anyone need it? hell if anyone needs the chair. . .:D

Andy in NY

Commander

i cant find where he mentioned a screw??? maybe you could copy it for me I dont see it. . . as far as what Im looking to get out of the parts. . just a few bucks a guy called today and offered me 65.00 for the steering wheel and cable worked for me. . . just make me an offer just that you think is fair im not trying to get rich just thought i could help some people out with parts i dont really plan to use anyways

Check out this post... that is where driven talks about the screw and where it is located. Maybe because yours is a bigger boat it doesnt have it?

FreeGypsy

Cadet

i do have the screws hes talking about. but the way my boat is set up(and due to my friend being 6'2") he was able to hold the nuts while I removed the screws. On my boat the rub rail only used screws with nuts on them at the ends so that makes 4 spots in the front it was actually very easy for him to hold them while I removed them!