MFG Gypsy 15 Tri-Hull Restore advice needed

newbie_owner

Seaman
Re: MFG Gypsy 15 Tri-Hull Restore advice needed

Just an update for everyone,

I bought a few things like tach, speedo, etc from "FreeGyspsy" and got screwed. He never shipped the items, and will not respond to any of my emails. His paypal account is empty so I can't even get refunded by Paypal.

Just wanted to give everyone the heads up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

He did the same to me for $50 for a kicker mount!!! He needs to be banned from this site!!

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! I guess I lucked out. I was going to buy the center widshield from him and the glovebox. He sent a request from PayPal for the amount we agreed upon. I got to thinking before I sent him the money that I should have him measure the windshield because his boat (if he even has one) was a bit larger than mine. So, I e-mailed him to get me the dimensions. Didn't hear anything from him for about a week. So I e-mailed him again. Got a reply. Said it'd been a crazy week and would get the measurements for me that weekend. That was the last I heard from him until a couple of days ago when he had cancelled the PayPal request.

Kinda sucks. I'm really hoping that he's just got some serious stuff going on and will make good on what he'd promised to others.

But, the net being what it is these days, it's a very good possibility that we've been scammed.

I've been taken before on e-bay. Won't be the 1st time, won't be the last I'm sure. It's part of doing faceless deals. Most of the time everything's ok. Every once in a while you get burned.

I say give him the benefit of the doubt for a couple of weeks. If you can't contact him after that, burn his ***!

----------------------------------------

Next subject, My progress (or lack thereof). I think I'm doomed to be finishing this up early next summer. I've got way too much other stuff piled up that needs tending to before the snow flies. It's either been too cool or too wet out to get anything done on the boat. Got to strat winterizing the house, got two cars to do some mechanic work on. In other words, I'm boned.

I'm still hunting around for a garage to use. No luck so far. If I can get one for the doldrums of winter, I'll continue on the boat. If not, it'll just have to sit. Man I was hoping to have this buttoned up by now and ready for next season. :mad:

I have the thread in my favorites and I'll be keeping an eye on things in the forum. Learn more from others and give info when I can. So, you probably won't see much from me in this thread for a while.

Keep yer stick on the ice!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I say give him the benefit of the doubt for a couple of weeks. If you can't contact him after that, burn his ***!

Oh it's already been many weeks. He lied to me twice and told me he'd shipped the item. This week I emailed him and said "Come on man, $50 is a lot of money. Please just send it back to me." He emails this back to me:

"i really don't understand the money has already been taken out of my paypal account. a few
weeks ago i logged in and my paypal account was missing the funds and they took it out of
my savings account already so i'm not sure what i have to do for you to get it?"

He's full of crap. Paypal told me there was no money in his account. I wish I knew of some way to "burn his *****". $50 is a lot of money to me.

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

EZMOBEE and newbie_owner you have PM's.

I contacted FreeGypsy and he e-mailed right back. It sounds like he has a lot of bad stuff going on, he didn't say exactly what though. Based on what FreeGypsy said and what Ezmobee just posted, my suspicion is that someone has gotten hold of his PayPal password and moved the money to another account somewhere.

He said he's still willing to ship the items even though he personally has not recieved any money for them.

My personal feeling is that he had no intention of ripping anyone off. The issue was compounded by whatever it is that he has going on in his personal life. I still feel that he would ship the items and make good from his end.

jcsercsa

Captain

ohhh yea.50 bucks is !!!! wish we could set a sting for his @@@ !!! John

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

EZMOBEE and newbie_owner you have PM's.

I contacted FreeGypsy and he e-mailed right back. It sounds like he has a lot of bad stuff going on, he didn't say exactly what though. Based on what FreeGypsy said and what Ezmobee just posted, my suspicion is that someone has gotten hold of his PayPal password and moved the money to another account somewhere.

He said he's still willing to ship the items even though he personally has not recieved any money for them.

My personal feeling is that he had no intention of ripping anyone off. The issue was compounded by whatever it is that he has going on in his personal life. I still feel that he would ship the items and make good from his end.

I replied to your PM but I just wanted to post here as well so I don't look like a jerk to the forum. I absolutely gave him the benefit of the doubt. He claimed to have shipped the item to me twice and it never showed. He even offered to refund my money once. I told him I would really rather have the item. If he "never got" my payment well then that's because Paypal already took it out of his account to give to someone else who had a claim against him.

newbie_owner

Seaman

I got the same song and dance from FreeGypsy as ezmobee did. He said he shipped it, the he didn't, then he was away, then he said Paypal already refunded me, and then he just stopped answering my emails all together.

This guy is a scam!! if he was having some sort of problem with Paypal he would have taken the time to answer my emails.

Andy in NY

Commander

Wow, I go away for a few weeks and miss all the drama!

Anyways, Newbie_owner, it looks like mine has been shelved until late spring as well... we ended up dropping $6800 for a new furnace and chimney, so it will all come down to what we have left after we get our tax return next year.

newbie_owner

Seaman

Yeah, I just have too many things on the go right now, should have everything out of they way by spring, so should be good to go by then.

Andy in NY

Commander

has anyone heard from free gypsy yet??

newbie_owner

Seaman

I think he ran to Mexico with his hundreds of dollars....

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,

PayPal has mechanisms for posting a dispute... Don't know how much good it will do, but at least it's something.

Alan

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We found out the hard way that if the person doesn't have any money in their account.....we're screwed. FreeGypsy can't use that account again but I doubt that's much of a deterrent

Andy in NY

Commander

Well, thats pretty crappy that you guys got screwed. Really hurts the community overall here... trust is a big thing where everyone is essentially annonymos.

anyways, DRIVEN, hows your project going?

I had a thought the other day, and I wanted to get some opinions on it. Are there any opinions on using the TREX decking boards for a deck, no plywood, no foam, let the water drip down and out the drain hole...

thoughts?

Fish~n~Chips

Seaman

Was wondering what you are gonna do with the bilge area?
~Jason

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, not much to tell here. Weather has been too cold to do much of anything on either boat. Today it's raining. This past Wednesday it friggin' snowed. We missed it though. We were in Kentucky picking up our son who just graduated from Basic/AIT training at Ft. Knox. Without a garage I'm pretty much boned as far as doing any more boat work this season.

I have been doing some thinking about a couple of things on it though. I'm thinking about designing a removable casting deck for the bow-rider section, and I think I've decided what I'm going to do with the 2 areas on each side of the hull that would naturally hold water. I'll fill them with foam, level them off with an angle to drain towards the center of the hull, and then put a layer of glass over them to seal and make it permanent. The foam's just a filler to lay the glass over.

It's really too bad about the whole FreeGypsy thing. I do sincerely hope that he'll make good and ship the purchased items at some point. But based on all that's been said, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Andy,

On the Trex decking idea, personally I wouldn't do it. Three reasons. 1.) Not too long ago the makers of Trex Decking had to put out a recall on almost all of the decking that's been made due to a possibility of breakage under normal loads. They claim that a service rep would need to inspect the decking to see if it was ok to use or needed replacement. I put up a thread about it. 2.) The darn stuff's heavy and prone to stain fairly easily when it comes to oily substances. I'm guessing that it would easily add two to three times the weight of plywood to the boat. 3.) It's very flexible and would require you to install additional bracing across the stringers to keep the deck boards from bending under your weight.

The idea of a "self draining deck" isn't a bad one though. Easy to clean and maintain. You could go with maybe hardwood flooring or something like that. You'd still have to do the extra bracing though. I wonder how some of the composite flooring products like Pergola would hold up. Interesting question. They're much thinner and lighter and some claim to last upwards of 50 years. Any takers on that question or someone who's tried it?

Andy in NY

Commander

3 months later...

any progress from anyone? I am still on plan to start as soon as the snow is gone.

Newbie_owner, if you still want to get together and tackle it together I'm game. I have a wood cutting weekend planned for sometime in april, but plan to work on the boat as well. If you are interested let me know, we'll make a weekend out of it. Hell, if Driven is interested, its only probably a 5-6 hour drive for you!

Driven1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Snow? Gone?!

BILD0194.jpg

I don't see that happening anytime soon!

Can't wait for it to happen though. I'm looking forward to "getting the itch."

Doubt I'd make it up there Andy. I might entertain a fishing weekend up to Thousand Islands at some point once mine's done though. Used to go up there with my Dad every Memorial Day weekend when I was a kid. I've kinda missed that trip through the years.