Supreme Mariner
Re: Margret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

Deck down, nice work chase!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looking good Chase, that deck looks identical to mine so I'd say you have done well:D

Your switch panel looks familiar too, nice choice.

You are well on your way and should have some summer left to enjoy the rig:)

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good Chase, that deck looks identical to mine so I'd say you have done well:D

Your switch panel looks familiar too, nice choice.

You are well on your way and should have some summer left to enjoy the rig:)

Thanks man. Yeah, I saw your switch panel and needed one. Really wanted the 12v aux outlet.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is the floor pics for today.

I really like this stuff and am glad I did not try to use sand.

I do not think that I will use the flakes. I tried them on the bow piece.

May just paint over them...oh, well. We'll see after it is dry...think they will end up in the bilge?

Now this is looking nice;).

Not finished yet; still have the back section to do. Wife and inlaws are calling and burgers are coming of the grill...got to take off before they are all gone.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks awesome!

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Back home and I pulled my rotten side boards out to cut new ones. They are pretty rotted. Anyone know how wide they are off the top of your head? Looks like they taper down from stern to aft.

Nevermind, their cut out and epoxied on one side. Really soaked up some resin...very thirsty wood.

Decided to get out of the garage and into some shade...insects are paying the price.

Last edited:

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

The floors look great Chase, I wouldn't put the flakes on it either.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally, a day off from work. Got some ss work done. I went online last night and set up an account; used the lawn care company name me and a buddy used to run....then placed an order for will call on some rivets long enough for the 3/4" floor.

I walked in this morning to pick it up wearing my lawn care t-shirt. Worked out great when he asked me what company I was with.:)

Rode home and started working. I have decided that this is a work in progress and I am going to put this together and continue working on it while getting some use from it. Like vinyl and the bow seats. I may use some of the sections I removed for now.

Anyways, not many pictures of the work. A lot of climbing in and out of the boat; spilling a package of rivets with several falling under the deck; some cursing and bumping my noggin a few times.

Will try for more pics. May have a few questions in the re-assembly process too.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I am as smart as a Pop-tart when it comes to most things. One is familiarity of steering systems.

I took a pic of it. After buying the boat and starting this resto, I noticed that it looks like the one hose was cut. I could not imagine why someone would cut it.:confused:

Mentioned it to my cousin over the phone tonight and he said it was suppose to be like that. Said our pontoon we went in on together last year is exactly the same way. I asked why and for what purpose and he kinda trailed off.

I like to know the real answer. I don't even know what type it is.

greengo

Cadet

If the cable ended at the steering housing and didnt go out the other side a bit your boat could only the wheel 180 degrees to one side and the reason its just open the endcap fell off or they just left it like that

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I thought I was gonna be buying a new steering system.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude nice! working on the steering means......I won't say it just incase you're superstitious.

Attachments

• 7565730-water-splash-in-blue-color.jpg
    7565730-water-splash-in-blue-color.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dude nice! working on the steering means......I won't say it just incase you're superstitious.

Not quite, was working on the new dash piece.

I did go to JoAnn fabrics and buy some vinyl for the seats. Was not planning on that. Already have some foam. Just trying to figure out how to fold the vinyl at the corners of the seats. Driving me nuts.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Round or Square!!! Got Pics???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep, standard rotary steering system. Looks fine. As mentioned the cable goes into that other tube after being threaded though the helm. It couldn't hurt to add a little grease and you'll quickly see how it works if you can get that tube off.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Round or Square!!! Got Pics???

Square with a curved side. I finally finished one bow section piece. Pulled a lot of staples and re-worked it.

My Power Shot staple gun was acting up. It failed to shoot a staple at one point and the handle did not click back up all the way. I was trying to eject the feed tube and it was stuck.

Meanwhile, as I am in the middle of wrestling with it, the wife is trying to carry on a conversation through the kitchen window.

Whack! The gun finally let loose and shot the hang fire, rouge staple out. Wife saw all of this and said "OMG, don't tell me you just stapled yourself."

Got me in the heel of my hand...not to deep, thankfully.

She will look more pretty when both ends are hidden by the sections it butts up to.

By the way; an electric carving knife worked great....at first. Dulled up quickly.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Chase, every time I look at your re-build, it looks better and better. Guessin' the wife figured you stapled yourself when the air turned as blue as your vinyl. Ouch!.

I didn't see or missed - What paint did you use on the deck with the Rusto anti-slip. Is looks great.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks GA, the paint is just a can of rustoleum Smoke Gray. Wond ering if I should have used a porch paint though.

I have to touch up a spot near the back. Was getting low on paint and did not spread as even Ss the rest.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Recovering the seats takes me a couple hours; yeah, I admit it. This one took too many to get all the slack out of it.

I was ready to use the old crappy ones but, when I mentioned it to the ol' lady...I see her nose wrinkle up and eye brows furrow.....kinda like when she makes me chili.:D

Thank God she likes how the first two of the three bow sections came out. One more to go. So, maybe 3-4hrs. to finish the last piece?:facepalm:

I have come to realize that I may likely keep this boat forever! After all the time spent working these restos, one could never truly recover the cost/value we put into these tin cans.

My 3yr. old daughter better marry someone to my liking if she expects to get this vessel. Otherwise, I will re-name it the Edmund Fitzgerald and hit the lake in November the day they try to commit me to a home.:p

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

CP,

If you Click on the IMG code in Photobucket, it will copy the link for you and you can paste your pic directly into your iPost. Works GREAT!!!!

Click the pic to enlarge

PBIMGCode.jpg