Margaret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Margret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

I was ready to use the old crappy ones but, when I mentioned it to the ol' lady...I see her nose wrinkle up and eye brows furrow.....kinda like when she makes me chili.:D

Thank God she likes how the first two of the three bow sections came out. One more to go. So, maybe 3-4hrs. to finish the last piece?:facepalm:

I have come to realize that I may likely keep this boat forever! After all the time spent working these restos, one could never truly recover the cost/value we put into these tin cans.

My 3yr. old daughter better marry someone to my liking if she expects to get this vessel. Otherwise, I will re-name it the Edmund Fitzgerald and hit the lake in November the day they try to commit me to a home.:p

I know that look Chase, a bit like this :mad:. I get mine when I tell her I'm getting another boat. :facepalm: Keep the boat and we'll start writing the song. I think we have a go-by to use :D. Oh - your vinyl work is looking great!

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CP,

If you Click on the IMG code in Photobucket, it will copy the link for you and you can paste your pic directly into your iPost. Works GREAT!!!!

Click the pic to enlarge

View attachment 103729

I know...just don't like how large the image comes out then.
IMAG1251.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

We do!!!!:D:D;)

Seriously, you should resize em to the Forum recommended size of 640 x 480. Easy to do with the preset photo sizes on Photobucket.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 3yr. old daughter better marry someone to my liking if she expects to get this vessel. Otherwise, I will re-name it the Edmund Fitzgerald and hit the lake in November the day they try to commit me to a home.:p

Nice job on the cushions.

Gordon Lightfoot..blaring on the stereo, plug pulled and two .357 rounds in the hull for effect. I like it, it's gotta beat being spoon fed crushed carrots!

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How long was I asleep? Long time no post.

OK, here is where I am in the dog days of summer.
Bow seats are done but only 2 in the pic...
IMAG1297.jpg

Both side panels on...pic of 1
IMAG1287.jpg

I got the steering back together and in place. Installed switch panel. Still need to do wiring and mount motor/controls.

MOTOR: changed the fuel pump the p.o. took apart and lost pieces of. Not sure what I need here for the choke assembly watcha-ma-call it. That wire must have a name and it seems a bit out of shape. Is it a solenoid; any suggestions?
IMAG1332.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep, choke solenoid. Vinyl looks great.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, choke solenoid. Vinyl looks great.
Thanks, vinyl was a pain in the but. Glad it's done.

Now, I am trying to do my first water pump service. This is where I am at...
IMAG1336.jpg

I have resisted using the B.F.Hammer. How do I remove it the rest of the way?

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tucked the kid to bed; went back out garage and dropped that lower unit like a good habit. Proceeding with water pump housing...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey CP - you did the best thing, take a little break and come back to it. Water pump should be an easy one. She's looking good!

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Worked more on the evinrude today. Goal was to get it rigged and try turning it over.

Had a lot of running around to do for a few parts...for the wife's birthday cake...more parts I forgot the first time...mental mistakes...

Right about dark, I hooked up the gas line and soon after she fired up. Before work tomorrow, gonna try hooking up the ear muffs or filling garbage can with water.

Still not sure of a splash date but, getting the motor mounted feels good.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Needs a bit of adjustment...idling high in neutral.
IMAG1345.jpg

Ugly motor. Wish previous owner did not paint the lower unit gold. That was close to the donor boat color it came off of.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude I thought you said you slowed down in August?!! You're almost there Chase...I really need to pick up the pace. Looking good Bro'.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude...stop fishing long enough to take a few pics. I knew as soon as the motor was running that was it for the posts.:)

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I have come out of hibernation and have bulked up enough to get back to work on Margret Jaine.

One thing that needs to be done is to find the right size steering linkage and get that bolted up. Run some electrical..ie, lights and bilge, etc.

I did put seats in last week. picked up a gray back to back of craigslist. Placed on port side for family outings. Pedestal in place at helm.

The tough thing to figure out is what to use my Bass Pro gift card on.

What dimension trailer cover do I need to purchase? That would be truly helpful if someone could answer that.

Stephenatx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Margaret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

Chase, where did you buy the hardener you used in your paint, and what brand?

BonairII

Commander

Ugly motor. Wish previous owner did not paint the lower unit gold. That was close to the donor boat color it came off of.

Just repaint it. Motor looks to be in good cosmetic shape, so shouldn't be too hard to rattlecan the motor a diff color.

You know that the gold color is going to drive you nuts....and take away from the nice resto you're doing.;)

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class