Margaret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Margret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

Considering my fishing rod/reel that was stored in my locker ended up sitting in a puddle all winter, I think your trim piece idea is swell.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I went ahead and riveted the aluminum pieces down. Should look ok when floor and hatch are in.

Now, gotta figure out where my seat bases are going. Looks like I must fit the floor and consoles in to decide that....then take it all back out.

I just want to go fishing at this point:(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like I must fit the floor and consoles in to decide that....then take it all back out.

Yes you do. It's important to get all this stuff situated now or it's a pain later. Also, have you cut the new panels for your consoles yet? (these: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2529.jpg) Word of advice, put your windshield on for that mockup. I had everything built on mine like you see in that picture but then had to adjust the consoles a bunch to get the windshield aligned. It almost made me have to recut (and paint and vinyl) the console panels but not quite.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes you do. It's important to get all this stuff situated now or it's a pain later. Also, have you cut the new panels for your consoles yet? (these: http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2529.jpg) Word of advice, put your windshield on for that mockup. I had everything built on mine like you see in that picture but then had to adjust the consoles a bunch to get the windshield aligned. It almost made me have to recut (and paint and vinyl) the console panels but not quite.

Ugh! Have not even thought about those panels yet. Glad you mentioned them. Guess I better dig through the pile of ply and pull them out. Did think of the dash panels though.

Thanks for following my thread ezmobee.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Back to work. Ski locker alum. is riveted.

Then, on to the floor and console mock up so I can place my pedestal bases.

Finished the mock up and pulled everything back out. Decided to get a hole drill to do the bases. Could not believe how costly that was. Have to buy saw and mandrel separate.

Holes are drilled and I mixed up more epoxy. Everything is drying now.

QUESTION: Has anyone put a pedestal base in the bow section with the original bow seats in place?

Thought about placing one up front but it would be in the walk area. The thought was maybe putting a removable ply deck cut to fit the bow seat area. I would drill a hole in this casting deck for a longer post that would lock into this front base.

Opinions or advice on this welcomed.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice Chase, it looks great. I like the idea of putting a pedestal seat up front. A cabin we rented on Drummond Island had a Sylvan with one in the bow area. The passenger seat behind the console was removeable..you just picked it up and put it into the front mount if you wanted to fish there.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wife c-blocked me from the boat this 4th of July day. Finally, after lunch I sneaked out to the garage. I only had a short time to get something done before going to work this afternoon.

The old one looked like the po used part of a picnic table; red wood and rotted. Cut the new one out from the ski hatch scrap.

About time to head to work. Happy 4 of July everyone!

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice Chase, it looks great. I like the idea of putting a pedestal seat up front. A cabin we rented on Drummond Island had a Sylvan with one in the bow area. The passenger seat behind the console was removeable..you just picked it up and put it into the front mount if you wanted to fish there.

I made a cut out up front for a base. I think for it to be useful I will need a drop in casting deck with a hole for seat post. Used without a drop in deck and I may not have the foot/leg room with the bow seats up there.

I'd like to put a trolling motor up there too.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Too hot to work in that tin can for to long after work...jumped on the bike and went on my lake run. It was so refreshing, I went home and told the family to jump in the car.

Took them all to a little spot to watch the sun set over Canada on Lake Ontario.

Playing with camera effects in the third pic. A good time was had by all. Hope to do it on the boat next time.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I may just have to screw the deck down. I do not have aluminum rivets with 3/4" grip. Went to Fastenal today and neither do they.

If I do screw it down, what should I use? Stainless??

Maybe I should order the rivets and wait to do it that way.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Stainless screws are fine. Just drill a pilot hole, coat em with 3M 5200, drill em in, all good!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used regular old deck screws for both the boats I've done. Work great.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been searching for the rivets too. Where is everyone getting them from? I need 5/8 grip...can't find any locally. Online sites??
Nice pics Chase...good looking family. Man what a view...that's postcard stuff!

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Lookin good Chase! :D

I too used regular old deck screws. The ones coated with the "non-rust" coating. I also used some of the rivets I picked up. Mine was a bear to get down, so I would screw it down first then come back and put in a rivet in place of a screw if I felt like it... I had to be carefull to not over tighten the screws because they would just pop out...

Hoss, I got all my rivets from http://www.rivetsonline.com I think it was DJ who suggested them to me. Fast shipping and easy enough to figure out what you need from their site.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I was gonna post that it was rivetsinstock.com ........ turns out it's the same place :p

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Rivetsonline has a better site... I never knew they were the same place :D. Weird... huh :)

I'm stealing your thunder :p (Just once anyways)

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Floor is down!!!

I knew of the rivets website, just did not want to wait. I screwed and glued it (5200). That really slows you down dipping each screw. Went back over and topped the screw heads with epoxy.

Up in the boat, inside the garage; I sweated off about 10lbs. It was hot! Wish it had been 40lbs.

Nice pics Chase...good looking family. Man what a view...that's postcard stuff!
Thanks, took the pics with my cell(evo) at a place called the White House, located within Webster Park(we were married there too...camo theme).

I work there at the campground during the May to deer hunting starts season. I see many sunsets there and decided to drag the family out to see one.

I told my 3yr. old that the sun was going to plop into the water...she repeated to mama that the sun was going to poop in the water:facepalm:. They all enjoyed it though.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now I just need to decide on a color to paint the floor. I'm thinking gray(ish). White may get to grungy. Either way, I found this today and will try it...

Plus, I think I will try adding these chips. It says it helps hide imperfections; which I have, and decorates too. If only they helped to catch more fish...

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Chase..

I just burned through your thread and was wondering where I posted a Hello, Welcome and Great Job!
Alas I did not..SO..

What a great job you have done here, the paint is awsome, you have done more with 2 hands than some can with 6!
Keep up the good work!

I'll be re-doing my deck this winter, so I am curious about your chips.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chase..

I just burned through your thread and was wondering where I posted a Hello, Welcome and Great Job!
Alas I did not..SO..

What a great job you have done here, the paint is awsome, you have done more with 2 hands than some can with 6!
Keep up the good work!

I'll be re-doing my deck this winter, so I am curious about your chips.

Thank you, I never planned on all of this...I just wanted to go fishing again. Friends and family keep asking why it is taking so long. Wife is the only one that has a clue to the hours I put into this project.

Hoping the chips turn out nice.