Margaret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Margret Jaine the 78 Starcraft SS Resto

Holy crap!!! That paint job looks great! That's it I'm not posting anymore pics displaying my painting skills. I can gaurantee nobody will be looking at your rims on that outfit. Nice job. It's exactly 6 hrs and 49 minutes to Sylvania Oh.... I lookted it up. Speed if you have to....I'll have the path cleared.

Thanks...it is looking so much better than the day I bought it. Still, there are a few flaws and blemishes.

Holy Toledo...only 6+ hrs. Park your SS with the Sharkhide in the sun so I can see that beacon from 3hrs. Out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Pull the tape now. Don't wait for it to completely cure. I waited a week to flip mine. The hardener is great stuff but Paint still needs ample time to cure out.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I already pulled off all the tape. Couldn't wait.
Now, it has been sitting in the sun curing. I wonder if the sun helps it cure a wee bit faster? I will have a hard time waiting till Friday for a week to be up. I want to start putting the floor in.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Happy Fathers Day guys. I thought I would get more done today but the wife and kid had other plans. I think mama kept us out of the house to keep me away from the boat. Managed to get the ski hatch teak wood oiled.

I guess a little break from the resto is good. I went in to the house around 7pm last night to spend time with my 3yr old daughter before bed. Well, I quickly fell asleep on the couch and awoke to find myself barely covered with a baby blanket, one doll on my chest and a stuffed Scooby-Doo propped up next to me. I kept waking up to kisses on my forehead and would then nod back off.

Who would of ever thought.

Huron Angler

Admiral

LOL I know the feeling CP, good thing you got some sleep before you went batty.

Gotta love kids, at least they didn't draw on you with charcoal.:D

The boat looks great, looking forward to seeing what else you've got planned for the rig.

dozerII

Admiral

LOL I know the feeling CP, good thing you got some sleep before you went batty.

Gotta love kids, at least they didn't draw on you with charcoal.:D

The boat looks great, looking forward to seeing what else you've got planned for the rig.

Boat is looking great CP.

HA are you talking from experince on the children ans charcoal thing??:rolleyes:
Glen

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Question, I need to place an order with iboats for a few items. One thing I am looking for are the bolts that slide into the bottom channel of the windshield; connects them to the console.

I must have broke 3or4 of those buggers. The windshield hardware section in the store on here does not show them.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I was able to attach my windshield with regular pan head bolts. They fit into the track just fine and luckily I was even able to tighten the nuts without them spinning.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, it has been a slow week waiting for the paint to dry; plus I seem to have caught a cold. As achy as I was, I dragged my self out to add new led side marker lights to the trailer last night. Wife shook her head and thought I should get some rest.

Ok, one more question. Boat is upside down so I have not measured the hole in the splash well. What size cable boot do I need to order? I'm guessing 4" diameter???

If the rain cooperates, I may try flipping the boat back over and getting it back on the trailer. Get some real work going....paint gunwales,floor, foam, ski hatch etc.....

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey CP, boat is looking great. Carefull flipping her back over, ya dont want to mess up that purty paint job.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey CP, boat is looking great. Carefull flipping her back over, ya dont want to mess up that purty paint job.
Thanks, gonna try for the grass flip...it has been raining too, hope that softens the ground some.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here we go; time to flip this tin can. Who is going to help?

The wife and kids left me again even though I said they could give me a hand. This is not my wife but my bloodhound Mabel. She was not eager to lend a hand either.

So, I decided to flip her solo once again...mostly one handed...as I took video!

Here's a after pic.

Next, it was time to try and trailer her. I rolled the trailer up to the bow; lifted the bow straight up and then put my knees behind the last set of rollers. I kept shuffling my feet forward; knees pressed into the rollers and moving the trailer back.

However, the jack wheel got hung up in a low spot in the grass and I failed to drop the bow on the rollers. May have left a slight black roller mark on my paint.

Second attempt. I grabbed my foam archery target block; lifted the bow again and kicked the block under her. rolled her up nice and easy. A little stretching, straining and cranking and she was on. Thunder and lightning increasing all the while:eek:.

Just as I finished, the family pulled in and the wife just shook her head. "You couldn't wait could you."

Is was time to get in out of the lightning and the rain came minutes after going inside.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That was awesome Chase! One handed flip, beauty!:D:D

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was awesome Chase! One handed flip, beauty!:D:D

Thanks. I should of waited for the wife to hold my camera/phone so guys with future restos could get a better idea how manageable these boats are when empty.

Now, the dang thunderstorms have passed but some idiot who was getting skittish of the lightning strikes; left the SS under a tall pine. This resulted in some pine needles in the bottom of my hull. Had to get out the hose.

I took some more pics when I went back out. Trailer lights, camera, action...

The hound is still laying in the driveway in the second pic.

I have tried to get her positioned on the trailer as best I can. I moved the winch tower forward. I then put the painted keel roller back on tonight. Where is this roller suppose to be located along the keel?

And, does she need to be slid further even more to line the transom up with the rear rollers?

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more of the transom and rollers.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think your positioning is fine on both ends.

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Progress has been s l o w the past couple days. I did manage to get the hole cut for the hatch. Was not too bad a task; just had to nut up and go at her.

Then the mail just came. iboats delivery.:)

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice! Can't have a boat without cup holders!
It may be my local sports teams, but I agree to adding the Rave Green stripes!

ChasePhase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Little more progress this afternoon after work. Some flooring, flashing and foam.

I think I am going to rivet this aluminum trim piece (FC-8 Hemmed) to the ribs under the ski hatch. Any opinions?

Top view:

Should give it a nice finished look and help keep things dry...drier I hope.

Just putting epoxy on the hatch section. I think I mixed it a bit hot and it was humid and muggy. Started gumming up on the surface....looks crappy. My need to sand a tad.