Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Sob

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Hey GT ..... Just wanted to say great job on the hull you got her looking good. Before you know it you'll be out fishing and have forgotten all about the itch.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Quite a project you got there GT. You'll have a nice piece when you are done. I feel for you working in that heat. We had record setting temps here in Dallas this past summer. That is a big part of why my project slowed to a stand still. Now that the weather has cooled off an injured back has me down and out. Hopefully back surgery fixes all that this month. and I can get mine done before spring.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just wanted to say great job on the hull you got her looking good. Before you know it you'll be out fishing and have forgotten all about the itch.

Thanks Jon, that is what I am hoping...stop itching and start fishing!

Quite a project you got there GT. You'll have a nice piece when you are done. I feel for you working in that heat. We had record setting temps here in Dallas this past summer. That is a big part of why my project slowed to a stand still. Now that the weather has cooled off an injured back has me down and out. Hopefully back surgery fixes all that this month. and I can get mine done before spring.

Thanks Mohican,
The heat isn't too bad, OUTSIDE the dust dome, its inside the damn thing that it gets Stupid Hot!
Hey man I will keep you in my prayers for a super quick recovery from your back surgery, heal fast, splash soon!

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Jon, that is what I am hoping...stop itching and start fishing!

Thanks Mohican,
The heat isn't too bad, OUTSIDE the dust dome, its inside the damn thing that it gets Stupid Hot!
Hey man I will keep you in my prayers for a super quick recovery from your back surgery, heal fast, splash soon!

Thanks Bro. It has been a hard few weeks.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Just a quick update, got home today and it was actually cool enough that I got mummied up real quick and got most of the rest of the first grinding done on the hull, got too dark to take pics, so it really didn't happen...:p

Next is waiting for the money tree to start bearing some fruit, but I may have over fertilized it and it looks like it is dying...:facepalm:

One last tidbit, sent my engine block out to Clams for a refresh, should be able to get it back in about 3-5 years...gotta wait on the money tree to fruit up...:(

Other than that, not much...

Hope everyone else is getting more done than me...

Later,
GT1M

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats on getting grinding part1 done.....Pix taken at day break are acceptable proof of effort & results.....

I think you've been feeding your $tree too much guano.... my thread has Nitrogen burn too...:D

Think Comfort Suites would mind if I bring the boat down & work on it in the parking lot here??? I will take my debris with me, but the 'glass dust would be theirs to keep, gratis of course!:rolleyes: I am only slightly concerned that the warden will do something most unkind to the boat whilst I am away.....:facepalm:
Fire isn't the 11th mid-year anniversary standard gift is it???​

Hey, maybe just take a high speed blast up the freeway a mile or 2, just to blow the dust out... Off to find a good roasted critter for dinner:p They wouldn't be so tasty if we weren't meant to grill 'em & eat 'em.....

Progress is progress, congrats!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

PROOF...

although still kinda wet from last nights wash down...:)

GT1M

Attachments

• DSCF1359.jpg
    DSCF1359.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1358.jpg
    DSCF1358.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

http://www.lowes.com/pl_Plywood_429...ea1-_-75607_2_plywood_area1_bucket2_-_plywood

Question, this is the only page that comes up on the Lowes site for plywood...they don't list arauco ACX ply anywhere...
Can someone tell me which one if any, of these is the stuff to use?:confused:

The only ones that even come close to looking like the right choices that I can see is the 23/32X4X8 Plytanium BC Pine plywood @ $30.27 and 15/32 BC Plytanium plywood @ $22.77.

Thanks,
GT1M

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks zopperman,

I'll prolly have to order what I need from one of the local stores, they all seem to carry it in limited numbers...
I am also hoping they have some 1/2"[ 15/32 ]... cause thats what I am planning on using for the stringers, stagger spliced to make some 16 foot long by 1" wide stringer blanks...

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

That sounds like a good plan to me. I also would use 1/2" for the deck, but 3/4" for the transom..
Should be like 30 and 45 bucks respectively..

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Really? WOW. I went to 4 different HD's and none of them knew what it was... :confused:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

My HD carries it, also cannot rely solely on the website for everything, going to the store or calling is you best bet, they don't always list everything

Thanks JDA,

I will probably try the calling route, cause the only HD's or Lowes I will go to are at least 20+ miles away...I don't like the service at the 9 different HD's and Lowes that are closer...:mad:...too many Know nothings...hopefully I can get someone on the phone that can actually help me out...

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks JDA,

I will probably try the calling route, cause the only HD's or Lowes I will go to are at least 20+ miles away...I don't like the service at the 9 different HD's and Lowes that are closer...:mad:...too many Know nothings...hopefully I can get someone on the phone that can actually help me out...

Good luck. I've found it damn near impossible :mad:

Me1stBoat

Seaman

Looks like your gettin to the fun part GT, wish i was there already!! Good luck on finding the wood you need!

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey GT!,

Lookin good round here!!! Ill tell ya, I went to Home depot and lowes both. Lowes had somewhat that I wanted. But the I beans it was sitting on someone had popped the center with a fork truck fork. It was bent up in the center. So the wood was all crooked. They refused to pull me down a few pieces from the top. They said when I "nail it up it would straighten it up"..... HA!!! too bad I don't need to "nail it up"!!!

I went to my local carter lumber. Ill tell ya, any actual lumber yard will have wood that is 10 times better then loses or HD. They are like the wal-mart or Aldi of wood. If you have a local lumber yard get it from there. The ABX from loses looks like the BCX from Carter. And thats no joke!!!! I got some great wood from carter.

Your boat is looking great tho. I thought I was ready to put my cap on but I am gonna put another layer of CSM or woven on. I have read that 2 layers of cam is not enough. Im thinking of putting a layer of woven as the final. Still in research mode tho!!!!!!,....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check and see if they carry Underlayment Plywood. It is great stuff for boats. 100% waterproof. Has few voids. Good Price.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks M1B, not quite ready to purchase due to lack of funding, but trying to track down a good location for the wood.

Hey jeremy, I might look into the possibility of a local Ace Hardware I have nearby, they usually have better quality stuff than the big box stores, good tip, thanks.

Thanks WoG, I thought about underlayment wood, too, is that stuff made with the same waterproof glue? Wasn't sure if it would work, but I will definitely check into it, although the last couple of times I went to HD and Lowes, the stuff they had on the shelves looked like carp, with a capital C!, Again thanks, I will definitely look into that possibility also at the local Ace.

Later,
GT1M

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

These pics are just me testing out the photobucket IMG tag, disregard...:redface:
DSCF1106.jpg

DSCF1088.jpg

DSCF1075.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.