Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Hi guys,
Been doing as many little things as possible to keep on keeping on with this here restoration...
My latest sojourn has been to clean up the rub rail and try my hand at another video...
Had a slow day at the shop, Friday...so I made up a through the bill of the baseball cap mounting bracket for the camera and went to town on the grungy, grimy rub rails...
Really should have lowered the recording quality to make producing easier, but I am still quite the noob at this and tend to forget more than I remember...:rolleyes:
Anyhow, here is an air powered version of polishing aluminum...just click the pic below...enjoy...:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I guess I'm gunna have to get me a Go Pro Camera. That's pretty kool Gus!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I must be doing something wrong cuss I can't get any vid to load .. :confused:

jbcurt00

Staff member

SP: At Gus' PB page the vid didn't play?

I don't think FireFox (my browser) is using an add-on video player, once the PB page loaded, clicked the pix & video played.

I sometimes notice a lag w/ PB, but not today......

Thanks Gus, great camera & polish work :cool:

Trooper82

Commander

Those turned out nice Gus!

you made the sanding look easy...

zool

Captain

I might just give that a try GT, nice......plus i didnt have to skip an add in the vid :D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Nice job on the rub rails...I have "unlimited compressed air envy" (and the go pro is pretty cool too)!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Finally got to watch vid! The coffee sure looked strong ! That sure took a lot less effort than sanding all by hand like I did .:facepalm:
Basically the same way just motorized ... :) If ya don't mind would you add that vid to the aluminum polishing thread I started a while back when you get the chance ...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Finally got to watch vid! The coffee sure looked strong ! That sure took a lot less effort than sanding all by hand like I did .:facepalm:
Basically the same way just motorized ... :) If ya don't mind would you add that vid to the aluminum polishing thread I started a while back when you get the chance ...

Absolutely...I was going to do just that, but got sidetracked...looking to post it up now...

Sergi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WOW! That's an amazing polishing job you have on these rails. I also love the subjective camera PoV. It makes the seeker introduce in the action. So lucky you didn't post all the timeline, I would feel so tired of doing all this job. :lol:

Do the effect of that polish go after a while like a wax or filler or is it permanent?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

WOW! That's an amazing polishing job you have on these rails. I also love the subjective camera PoV. It makes the seeker introduce in the action. So lucky you didn't post all the timeline, I would feel so tired of doing all this job. :lol:

Do the effect of that polish go after a while like a wax or filler or is it permanent?

Thanks for dropping by, Sergi,
It is basically the same as polishing an aluminum rim on a car, the Mother's Polish adds a protective coating, but will probably need to be waxed so the shine will last longer, and then depending on how much it is exposed to the elements, will determine how often it has to be done...
I believe that the shine will last for a very long time IF I keep a coat of wax on the parts, but even if the shine gets dull, a quick touch up with the polish, then wax, should bring it right back...

Sergi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perhaps you could lay a thin clearcoat or varnish.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Perhaps you could lay a thin clearcoat or varnish.

I thought about that and I have a concern that the wax that is in the polish might not allow any kind of coating to stick to it...
I might try a small area and see what effect it has and how long it lasts...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I thought about that and I have a concern that the wax that is in the polish might not allow any kind of coating to stick to it...
I might try a small area and see what effect it has and how long it lasts...

GT1M, Maybe you could take some lacquer thinner over the rub rails first and then apply the clear coat. I think it will work very nicely. I haven't made many comments lately but have been watching and reading all the time. They had to do something very similar with all these polished rims/wheels and clear coating them... I actually plan on doing that to my own project boat... Just a thought! :joyous:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The time has arrived for a small update...
Mismatched galvanized trailer wheels were bugging me...one side had spokes, the other holes...yeah I know, you can only see one side at a time, but my OCD got the better of me and I began to search for a match...
Another inspiration came from the nice rims "sphelps" [ http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto.../mfg-rebuild-getting-started-pics-523969.html ] scored for his rig, and I just couldn't sit back and be left behind...
I know this is a totally frivolous expense for an absolute vanity item, but what the heck...
Came across a really good deal on some used Ranger Boat Trailer wheels on evil bay and decided to pop for them...
Box came and they were exactly what I expected...[BTW, no Pumas were harmed in the making of this package...]

They had some minor scrapes and scratches and are missing the center caps, but all in all are very good condition...

The good thing is I got four matching rims.
Two will get brand new radials, eventually...
A third one will get one of the radial tires that is currently on one of the old rims and become a spare.
The fourth rim will just be a spare in storage...

As for the missing center caps...I will either track down a pair or make a couple...more on that later...

I did not like the factory machine finish on the rims.
Plus, they had a few nasty scrapes and scratches, so, I decided to polish the surfaces and paint the backgrounds in a semi-gloss black...

This is the first one done and I am using it as my experimental, guinea pig unit...

I really like how it has turned out and am looking forward to working on the other 3...

More to follow...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Update; Part Duex...

Been a couple of weeks since the previous post, and thank goodness I have been swamped at the grind...
I have managed to squeeze in a couple of hours here and there to prep, polish and paint a second rim...This one has turned out even better than the first due to a refinement in the polishing technique...{ I promise to post some video of the actual process in the nearly distant future}...

I then roughed out a center cap from a slab of 1/4" aluminum plate that used to be a Band-aid support on the boat for the front fishing seat...then final shaped it using a die grinder and a D/A...then polished it...still needs the hold down bolt hole drilled, but I think it turned out OK for an amateur...

I have also picked up some materials for the eventual decking...
2 Sheets of 1/2"x4'x8' AC Fir ply {Decking} and 2 Sheets of 1/8"x4'x8' Luan Door Skin {TBD}...

3 Sheets of 1/2"x4'x8' Foam board {TBD}...

And a couple of 2"x4"x12' White Fir {TBD}...

Where and how some of the {TBD} materials will be used will be disclosed at a later date, all I can say for now is think..."Composite Bulkheads"

Next on the shopping list is 5 more gallons of resin and an 80 Lb. Expanding Foam Kit...

Stay tuned because as soon as those are in the house, the long awaited Big Push will finally commence...

Until next time, may all of your boat projects, both in progress and completed, bring you all the fun you can handle!

Trooper82

Commander

Nice score...and eveen nicer polishing job GT!...

I been jonesing for an update from you ....and once again you came thropugh with a good one!

Have a good weekend...more pics those look so sweet..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Wow ! Absolutely sweet score on the rims ! Did they have the little ridges that a lot of aluminum rims have and you polished them out ?
Painting the insets black was the perfect idea ! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.