Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

Said it before, but Man you have the NICEST workshop ever :facepalm:

Or surely the most tolerant Admiral ever ;)

Excellent work on the polishing. I see a possible 2nd (3rd maybe behind boat building) sideline business. Heck just the eastern seaboard Iboats crew will keep your shoulders a hurtin' for many a weeks.......

Pay might be lousy, but the food & beer are pretty good.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow! I'm just aiming at "clean" for mine at this point. If you find that polishing tanks becomes an uncontrollable obsession for you, I could maybe let you exorcise (or should that be exercise?) your demons on my 125 gallon tank

I'll let you know...:rolleyes:

YO man.. you hare gonna have to put in a sheet of clear plexi now to show that off under the floor!! BLING!!!! SKEWWWIE!! TYTE!

Thanks! but I'll wait till my mechanical locker looks like this one...

Mechanical3-1.png

Tell the truth Gus , you polished the tank with those black socks like dancing the jig .. LOL !

Shhhhhhhh!...you are giving away all my secrets...
I even did a Michael Jackson Moonwalk on it...:D

Said it before, but Man you have the NICEST workshop ever

Or surely the most tolerant Admiral ever

Both...:behindsofa:

Excellent work on the polishing. I see a possible 2nd (3rd maybe behind boat building) sideline business. Heck just the eastern seaboard Iboats crew will keep your shoulders a hurtin' for many a weeks.......

Pay might be lousy, but the food & beer are pretty good.

Thanks, but I already make so little at my day job, I wouldn't have time to make less with a sideline...:eek::laugh:

Have a fast, short, great week everyone!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Continued Thoughts and Prayers to all being affected by nature's fury...

Well, some baby steps...
Super neighbor and assistant, Gabriel...scored me some bottom feeder friendly Starboard for the princely sum of a couple of frosty adult libations!

A few cuts later...Bottom support strips ready for attachment with 5200...

Some more bits and pieces...to be used as spacers on the bottom corners and the mounting tabs...will also be attached with 5200...

By attaching them to the tank with 5200 it will not only provide for proper support, maintain the tank from coming into contact with any wood/fiberglass, vibration resistance, proper water drainage and allow for expansion, but will also seal the aluminum completely where it comes in contact with the Starboard so as to prevent any corrosion that might form in those areas...

This also gets me closer to actually using a fresh tube of 5200 that I have had stashed, but did not have enough parts to use it on to justify opening it...the only bad part is having to wait until further progress can resume on the hull, as many of the parts that will need some 5200 love go there...:rolleyes:

The money tree is slowly sprouting and as soon as it flowers, I'll be scoring some much needed supplies for the much anticipated progress report...just a couple two or three weeks or so...my continuing education classes and testing will be over and then...yeah baby!:eyebrows:

Hope everyone is having a super weekend and may your week fly by...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking great GT, surely a Bassassin sign of more good things to come....

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Nice score (and work) on the starboard install... Look forward to seeing more when the money streets begins to bloom... (know how that goes)...

Keep it up!

PMC

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Tank stuff coming along nicely ! Nice to have the Admirals permission to move things indoors in the A/C I'll bet .. I know it,s a hot muggy puppy up here prolly worse down your way ..

sevanseriesta

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another step closer.....Hope to see good progress in the coming months!

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

GT, I just want to share my experience with Starboard and 5200 with you so you can access the impact on your plans early on

5200 will not bond to Starboard material. I tried before when I was attaching Starboard as backer plates behind my trim tabs. Once I removed the screws, the board came loose with zero bond to the 5200. I called the company and they said that you can’t glue this material using the vast majority of ordinary glues and referred me to some chemical method on their website that I did not bother to look at.

Sorry to be the messenger of bad news

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

GT, I just want to share my experience with Starboard and 5200 with you so you can access the impact on your plans early on

5200 will not bond to Starboard material. I tried before when I was attaching Starboard as backer plates behind my trim tabs. Once I removed the screws, the board came loose with zero bond to the 5200. I called the company and they said that you can?t glue this material using the vast majority of ordinary glues and referred me to some chemical method on their website that I did not bother to look at.

Sorry to be the messenger of bad news

Thanks for the heads up, and I am aware of this...However the plan is not so much a bond as it is a seal against moisture intrusion to the aluminum and to maintain an actual air separation between the tank and the surrounding wood enclosure...the weak mechanical bond between the Starboard and 5200 is really just there to hold it in place until the tank is installed...afterwards gravity, and some mechanical fasteners will hold every thing in place...the resulting lack of bonding between the Starboard and 5200 is of no real consequence, since neither of those two products are susceptible to corrosion...

From all the research I have done, which is neither 100% conclusive or extremely in depth...:rolleyes:...The recommended procedure for installing below deck tanks generally requires a separating type barrier such as High Density Plastics, Teflon or Neoprene between the surrounding wood and the tank...
Most recommendations would have you apply the insulators with mechanical fasteners to the deck, then lower the tank on/into them...
This can create a problem with moisture getting trapped between the insulator and the tank, causing corrosion...I found in a couple of different forum discussions and websites, that the solution to this is to adhere the insulators to the tank and completely seal that area, preventing the oxidation from taking hold...the caveat is that none of the recommended insulators readily bond with 5200...:facepalm:...However, in a small way, the 5200 acts somewhat as a minute shock absorber between the tank and the Insulating Material...
Whether or not it is the perfect solution, I guess I will find out in due time...:confused:

Happy Monday, Y'all...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I totally "GET" what you are doing, and agree with the concept. The durability of the 5200 should lend itself well to the process. If not Blame it on the Dumb Okie!
OldDumbOkie.jpg
That way you'll look GOOD!!!!

jmmacky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great plan with the starboard GT. I used some neoprene type stuff but that looks even better. Good work as usual!

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Understood. My only worry about this plan – as I am evaluating it for my personal use – is the possibility for these boards to break loos under the stress of waves, wakes, the light weight of an empty tank, etc and touch an unprotected surface of the aluminum tank. This will trap moisture and lead to corrosion. My plan is to prep, prime and POR 15 the whole tank before applying any insulator/spacer to it. I might be over thinking/worrying this but given the fact that the gas tank was a big factor that lead to a full restoration project in my case makes me leaning toward overkilling it. Best of luck with your plan/project.

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow. Makes me feel like I made a bomb with a slow fuse on my boat reading all the prep you guys are doing just for the tank. My " bottom feeder" tank I robbed from a donor boat just got some rubber strips glued to the bottom to keep it off the decking and to keep vibration down then i 4200'd under the mounting tabs before screwing it down. By the by and not trying to high jack or anything, am I the only one who cries a little every time a screw makes a hole in my new deck? Lol. Great work gt.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Understood. My only worry about this plan ? as I am evaluating it for my personal use ? is the possibility for these boards to break loos under the stress of waves, wakes, the light weight of an empty tank, etc and touch an unprotected surface of the aluminum tank. This will trap moisture and lead to corrosion. My plan is to prep, prime and POR 15 the whole tank before applying any insulator/spacer to it. I might be over thinking/worrying this but given the fact that the gas tank was a big factor that lead to a full restoration project in my case makes me leaning toward overkilling it. Best of luck with your plan/project.

That is a valid point and one that I have also taken into consideration while planning this out...
To prevent the spacers/insulators from ever coming loose, I will be creating one of two passive mechanical restraints for the bottom Starboard strips...I am thinking along the lines of doing something like this to the support floor...

I am not too concerned with the empty fuel tank/boat stress flex scenario due to the fact that the support floor for the tank is going to be 3/4" Plywood fastened on top of the existing 5 stringers and the tank will be secured on all four sides with 3 fasteners per side, hopefully, negating any possibility of movement...

I also agree with your plan of basically hermetically sealing the tank in a cocoon of POR-15, then adding some spacers...even after a good prep and prime, if you were to just paint the tank, I believe that would also offer ample protection, although no where near as good as a POR-15 treatment...

Heck if it wasn't so prohibitively expensive, I would love to either powder coat or anodize the tank...;)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

am I the only one who cries a little every time a screw makes a hole in my new deck? Lol.

I haven't gotten to that point, yet...but I am sure that at the very least, I will get choked up when the time comes that I need to punch holes in the new deck...:)

some rubber strips glued to the bottom

I have read in several places that rubber against aluminum can cause corrosion due to the carbon in the rubber leaching out...:eek:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Well, I come home to find this...

Too small to contain a Puma, but just about the right size for a Honey Badger or a Wolverine...???
Approach carefully, no noise or movement...OK...soooooo...what have we here...

Woo Hoo!...my new pop up cleats!

These came by way of Iboats member, "DustinJean", who had bought them for his ongoing restoration, until a twist of fate and good luck came his way and he bought a brand new boat...I therefore contacted him and got these...

Thanks DJ, they will live on in the Bassassin...:D

Willyclay

Captain

That beer sure looks cold! Great score on the cleats. Another good reason for being an "iboater".

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good looking cleats, another sign that good things and great karma are headed in your direction

Status
Not open for further replies.