Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

I was serious about the carbon fiber., but the lace... jb....isn't that two man-fouls on one screen page. Pink boat, now lace.

Sea ya...

Trooper82

Commander

....jb....isn't that two man-fouls on one screen page. Pink boat, now lace.

I was thinking the same thing...weren't you suppposed to be out in the drive way surrounded by tools and grease JB??

Gus you got that cap painted yet?

D

Deleted member 340796

GT1,

I am glad to see you using the pvc pipe for the drains. I was wondering why more people do not do that. I wondered about doing it to help seal off the wood from a potential access point for water. That seems to be the point where the water accessed the wood in my boat.

I have been thinking of how to do that with my project. I just have not completely figured out how I want to do it yet. I am pretty sure I am going with pour foam. Seems like the foam would block the flow of any water that does get under the deck. So far I am thinking it might help to build the compartment, pour the foam, remove the deck and foam, then make some minor flow allowing alterations and finally return the foam and deck. Seems like the long way of making a french drain type system in my boat.

It would be so much nicer if there was a hose that worked on the opposite flow of a foundation hose that could lay in the bottom of the boat along a predetermined path from bow to bilge area. That hose would absorb any water in that cavity and once inside the hose it would drain aft and eventually get to the bilge area and pumped out of the boat. Then I could pour the foam over that hose and all issues solved. :facepalm: So where are the engineers out there that can make this happen? WOODONGLASS - are you there???

I am open to ideas if anyone has any on the french drain system. Maybe that will be my next project! Not bad for a woman huh?:eek::p

Added a couple of limber holes with PVC inserts to the knee stringers to aid with hull drainage...

DSCF1769.jpg

DSCF1772.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome aboard, AJJMH...

I have been following along on your thread, but have not stuck my nose in there, yet, since you have been receiving some of the best help available...

BTW, great work so far...

As for your question, dilemma, comment...on creating good drainage throughout the hull...that seems to be one of those elusive things we run into in this endeavor of ours...adding drainage implies water access to foam/stringers...the other school of thought is to completely seal certain cavities or everything below deck to try and prevent any water infiltration...yet others, like oops!, have devised ways of encapsulating the foam in plastic while paying special attention to properly sealing up the wood with fiberglass, yet others run pipes or create channels...

I honestly have not decided which way I am going to go...maybe one or the other or a combination...it is all very confounding...in the end, though, considering the fact that we are installing new wood, freshly encapsulated in resin and cloth, done as though we were doing this for ourselves, and taking as many reasonable measures to insure a good job overall, plus that fact that most of our old tubs lasted 20 or more years with less than perfect factory workmanship, makes me feel that I should easily get that, and maybe a couple more years, out of whatever I end up with...;)...

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Gus my brutha!!!! the Bassassin is lookin awesome!!! that paint job is saweeeet!!! I think almost any of the color combo's you've come up with would look awesome with that base. Catch up with ya later my friend.

MWBoatFan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings GT.

I have been following along here for a couple of weeks, scared to butt in since you (and several of the hardcore restorers) are just so vastly beyond my skill level and knowledge base. But after seeing the paint on that hull I just had to tip my cap. This is really coming along nicely and I am really looking forward to the end of your journey.

Very nice work sir, I am in awe of what you've accomplished.

All the best!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Gus my brutha!!!! the Bassassin is lookin awesome!!! that paint job is saweeeet!!! I think almost any of the color combo's you've come up with would look awesome with that base. Catch up with ya later my friend.

Thanks Brutha C...can't wait to get it flipped...still got a TON to do on the inside...:eek:

Greetings GT.

I have been following along here for a couple of weeks, scared to butt in since you (and several of the hardcore restorers) are just so vastly beyond my skill level and knowledge base. But after seeing the paint on that hull I just had to tip my cap. This is really coming along nicely and I am really looking forward to the end of your journey.

Very nice work sir, I am in awe of what you've accomplished.

All the best!

First of all, Thank you very much for your kind words and a hearty welcome aboard!, MWBoatFan.

Secondly, Please, don't feel the least bit under qualified around here...When I first started on this journey, I knew that boats were supposed to float on the water and that was about it...I owe a huge debt of thanks to all of the awesome, knowledgeable and supportive members here on the Iboats Forum...without them, this undertaking would have been next to impossible for me...

So, again, Please, feel free to butt in any time you like, whether it is to voice an opinion, idea, comment, or question...all are welcome!

Sincere Regards,
Gus

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Brutha C...can't wait to get it flipped...still got a TON to do on the inside...:eek:

Sincere Regards,
Gus

awww, no pressure Gus, take your time and let us slackers catch up to ya :)

Have a good weekend my brother!

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

How ya doin! I been gone for a bit but you got everything looking great! I got bunch of pics to put on my thread. Just been out of town working 7 days week for a while. It looks great tho man!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

How ya doin! I been gone for a bit but you got everything looking great! I got bunch of pics to put on my thread. Just been out of town working 7 days week for a while. It looks great tho man!
Thanks, I'm doing good, Jeremy, glad to hear from you...hope all's well...can't wait to see the new pics...

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Itsy-bitsy update...

All this thinking about colors and what not...I have decided to install a keel guard.

I contacted one of the manufacturers and asked for a few color sample swatches and they are sending them to me...

More info as it becomes available...

Happy humpday!:D

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

since the keel guards are extruded....i wonder about you sending them a sample of your paint color and see if they could match it??

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

since the keel guards are extruded....i wonder about you sending them a sample of your paint color and see if they could match it??

That would be cool, but being basically a one off, sounds like it might cost way more than an off the shelf one...I will ask though...
I am kind of hoping that one of the samples is close enough...heck, no matter what, scraping the keel guard, as opposed to scraping the paint sounds way better to me...;)...even if the color is a bit off...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Keel guard come in Darth Vader black? In black, it would certainly go w/:
GTkeel2.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I think a Keel guard is a good idea...

Here is the color scheme of choices available from iboats:

kg_colors_17.jpg

GTkeel2.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Samples received...colors are Hunter Green, Light Gray, Gray and Charcoal...

The paint sample is the Rustoleum Marine Top Coat Green...

I like the Charcoal for the keel guard...thought about Black, but I don't think I want a contrasting color...I think I like the almost monochromatic look for the keel guard...kind of just blends in...

DSCF2187.jpg

DSCF2186.jpg

DSCF2185.jpg

DSCF2183.jpg

I don't know there is just something about Green Paint that really appeals to me...

Maybe its because it is kind of the color of Money or Green beer bottles...:facepalm:

Comments or suggestions gladly taken into consideration...no hot pink, though...sorry JC...:rolleyes:...

Awww, fugetaboutit...order being placed on Iboats, right now...they are on sale!

Happy Thursday, y'all...

jbcurt00

Staff member

Today, there shall be no undue influence from the Admiral :D Oh & for the record, she would most definitely tend towards the hunter green too ~ color of money & all

Of course, based on how much she was willing to give a 3rd party this past week at the beach, she may not like money as much as I thought, 'cause she handed out quite a bit.... Particularly to the bartender(s) making all the funny mango frozen drinks at the Tiki Hut below our patio :facepalm:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Extremely nice paint job! I'll continue reading through the rest of the thread. Good stuff and great results!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

from your first pic of the samples they sent ya, i vote for the second one from the right, gray
from the pic of the iboats selection, i vote for the 4th one from the right, or possibly the 3rd from the right

Status
Not open for further replies.